Author Topic: Modern Classics: Dodge Magnum, 2005-2008  (Read 14021 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Classics: Dodge Magnum, 2005-2008
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 03:56:02 am »
There is 3 of the wagons in my town, a friend of mine owns one. Seem to like his.

Not sure what the definition of a modern classic vehicle is. But this vehicle does not fit into the definition of the word classic.

A classic case of coulda, IMO.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 02:14:35 am »
I think the SRT8 Magnum has a decent chance of being a future collectable.

Usually the things that make a car collectable are rarity, unique styling, power, and overall performance, all of which this car has.  I think the production numbers for the SRT8 models are around 1000 which makes it rare.

Most of the muscle cars that are collectable today weren't necessarily the best looking or most reliable in their day either.  They were however, usually the top performing model of the lineup, were produced in limited quanities, and had lots of power.  While it might not gain huge money like a 426 Hemi Cuda, it will probably keep it's value well perhaps like a Buick GNX.

Magnum lover

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
I owned a 2005 Magnum R\T, Inferno Red. I loved this car and wished I hadn't sold it. 30 mpg, 340 hp, more power than my LT1 'vette, what's not to love? I used to tow my 19' ski boat with it as opposed to my F350 because  it handled better. I had near zero problems with the car. Great car!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 04:49:49 pm »
Most cars that bring big bucks at auction today were built in low numbers.  Combine rarity with special history/engines/whatever, and you have the possibility that it will become a collectible car.  As much as owners love their Magnums, the reality is that it was produced in rather large quantities, meaning it probably won't become a sought after car.

But, even rarity and special status can't guarantee big bucks.  I know a guy that bought a Ferrari Testarossa in the 80's thinking that the unique looks, high performance and name would have the car worth a ton someday.  Sure, examples today sell for good money, but not the massive dollars that truly special and super-rare Ferrari models might fetch.  Today, he just drives the snot out of it, as it's worth a lot less than what he paid, and he figures he better enjoy it.

The other problem the Magnum has is the sheer quantity of high hp available in the market.  The Buick GNX (VERY low production...) was a killer machine in its day, crushing everything else that was stock, and lots that weren't.

Cars I suspect might become auction queens someday include the super exotics like the Mercedes SLS, Bugatti Veyron and so on.  In the lower prices, I'd put a little money on a Corvette ZR-1, depending on final numbers.  There's a guy somewhere in my burb that owns "both" ZR-1 Vette models, and his old one is a 100-pt concours car and he could get a pretty good buck for it.  Might be worth some real dough someday.  Porsche's GT3 machines are pretty rare, but only super-exotic Porsches seem to become big-bucks as many Porsche owners actually drive their cars.  That said, a fully restored 550 Spyder, 356C or Speedster can fetch some pretty high prices.  Rust helped the owners of those cars!  So many just rusted away, it took care of the higher production numbers...

Loved My Magnum

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 06:02:25 pm »
I had an '06 Magnum R/T and hated to give it back at the end of the lease. The buy out was way more than used ones were going for at the time. I didn't have any big issues with it other than the common leaky o-ring on the transmission. I ended up with a 300 though  :)

I drove the Magnum from Ontario to NFLD and it fit everything I needed for 3 weeks. I never know why Chrysler never advertises the fuel economy of the 5.7 engine. Going down the highway all day on cruise I managed around 750 Km's a couple times and still had 1/8th of a tank left.