Author Topic: Steps to importing a vehicle from the U.S.  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steps to importing a vehicle from the U.S.
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:01:52 am »
Haney Louka gives you the rundown on what you need to do in order to legally import a used car into Canada.
Read More...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Steps to importing a vehicle from the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:33 am »
The effort of ensuring that the US border crossing has a FAX of your vehicle "Certififcate of Title" for a used vehicle (as opposed to a "Certificate of Origin" for a new vehicle) can not be understated.
You WILL have difficulty obtaining confirmation of the FAX at the border as you cannot talk directly with an officer except for a call back service which will take anywhere between 4 to 24 hrs. If the US Border agent can not find your paperwork when you show up at the border you will be  stuck for another 72 hours minimum until they actually have it. Make sure when you contact them prior to arriving and when they say they have your CofT ask for the officers badge number and name and take note of the time.
There is also an E-Mail address for some of the border crossings that can be used as an alternative to the FAX. Much simpler, just scan the CofT and e-mail again with confirmation. You can PM me for the address of the Lewiston Bridge in NY state if you are using this crossing as they dont have this e-mail listed on their website nor canned phone message.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

mikemcm

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »
Don't forget the Gas Guzzler tax. Most vehicles won't qualify but it can add anywhere from $1000 - $4000 in costs. Information is on the riv.ca website under cost considerations.

PM

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:09 pm »
Thanks for your article! I really liked seen this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:19:04 am by PM »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »
The effort of ensuring that the US border crossing has a FAX of your vehicle "Certififcate of Title" for a used vehicle (as opposed to a "Certificate of Origin" for a new vehicle) can not be understated.
You WILL have difficulty obtaining confirmation of the FAX at the border as you cannot talk directly with an officer except for a call back service which will take anywhere between 4 to 24 hrs. If the US Border agent can not find your paperwork when you show up at the border you will be  stuck for another 72 hours minimum until they actually have it. Make sure when you contact them prior to arriving and when they say they have your CofT ask for the officers badge number and name and take note of the time.
There is also an E-Mail address for some of the border crossings that can be used as an alternative to the FAX. Much simpler, just scan the CofT and e-mail again with confirmation. You can PM me for the address of the Lewiston Bridge in NY state if you are using this crossing as they dont have this e-mail listed on their website nor canned phone message.
Railton

+100!!!  Also be sure to have a copy of the fax transmission because Customs has been known to misplace faxes.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...