Author Topic: Auto Tech: How to recognize mechanical problems early  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: How to recognize mechanical problems early
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:03:28 am »
Using your senses - sight, sound, smell and feel - you can recognize potential mechanical problems before they become serious and cost you a lot of money in repairs, says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.
Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Auto Tech: How to recognize mechanical problems early
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:47 am »
Excellent advice Jim.

I completed a over 8,000 trip in May this year in a 20 year old car though all types of weather with only a scheduled oil change at legal speeds up to 130 km per hour

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4579650626/in/set-72157623993056140/

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »
Good item!

It's unfortunate our civil service petty emperors have prescribed inscrutable instrument panel pictographs for Canadian vehicles. Though my car is several years old I still have to look at the owner's manual to decipher the inane ones.

U.S. instrument panels are models of simplicity and clarity as the attachment proves. What could be clearer than PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF or ON?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:11:59 am by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:23 pm »
Flames are usually a good sign of trouble.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:58:18 pm »
 :rofl2:

John

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:50 am »
Also a moaning sound from the rear end while cruising or decelerating at speed and/or a chattering sound while reversing, are signs of a differential that’s on its way out in a GM Cadillac CTS and others that share similar drivetrains.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:56:39 am »
I'm sometimes amazed at people who continue driving cluelessly while their car is falling apart around them.  Is it denial? 
Some people notice every little clunk and squeak and over-react but what's with the people whose brakes are shuddering, exhaust falling off, valves clattering, wheel bearings groaning until the car finally grinds to a halt?

I once had a GF once whose VW engine started making noises, she turned up the stereo to drown it out and continued driving until there was no more engine and she was left at the side of the road in the middle of winter.  Another who drove my car around town one afternoon leaving the hand-brake on and wondering why it was so sluggish and smelled like it was burning. Even the red "brake" light didn't clue her in for a while.
My brother would drive around with obviously almost flat tires and not care, "they haven't blown yet".

I don't get it, my cars may have some rattles, but I know where they are coming from and whether they're going to leave my stranded.  I can usually tell you if a particular tire is low on air compared to the rest (GF's Subaru had 20psi in RF last week).  C'mon folks, it's not rocket science, and your life could depend on being aware of whether your car is going up in flames.
Mr Pickypants

JoBlo

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:10:05 pm »
Easy if you see a Toyota badge it's a good sign.

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:47:18 pm »

Saw that happen to a Porsche 911 once.  A bit more of a costly fire.  Don't know what is was but it appeared to originate in the engine compartment (oil/fuel leak?).

Turnpike Cruiser

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 05:55:10 pm »
Another sure sign of trouble is a bad rattle that suddenly and inexplicably stops!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:00:15 pm »
To alot of people, as long as the car starts and drives without leaving them stranded, then its "reliable".  ::)

Sam-I-Am

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 01:34:56 pm »
All good advice.  I'd like to add that vehicles with rear air conditioning will also drip water somewhere around the back of the vehicle, in addition to the front water drips typically around the right side of the firewall.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »

Haha... not good news for Calgary though. ;D

Good article from Jim Kerr this time.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »
Kinda moot point though.   most of the people that check out these types of articles are already somewhat aware of their car's needs.

the other 90% of population just don't care.   they don't read these articles, they don't WANT TO learn more about the vehicles/3000 lbs weapons they operate every day.

which, again leads to one solution.    more stringent drivers ed/tests.    :rofl2:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 02:26:53 pm »
Say the following with the "redneck" comic voice of Jeff Foxworthy...

If the veehikle is rotary powered...you have just recognized a mechanical problem.   ;D

In an aircraft, not identifying a mechanical problem early has life threatening implications...so we take real good care of them.  Mine is a 1959...and is in good shape still.