Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Volt, pre-production model  (Read 23926 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: First Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Volt, pre-production model
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2010, 10:11:51 am »
Rupert I agree about the huge market of those with a driveway/garage.  But I believe the urban market IS important for a couple of reasons.  In Canada most of the population live in urban markets ( although only a proportion of those would have no access to charge points... at the moment that set would include 99% or apartment dwellers).  Secondly in Ontario at least the Urban dwellers tend to be, from their voting, a bit to the left of the population. For sure  a lot of the environmentalists. minor or major, fit to that demographic.
 I would count myself to the right of the political spectrum and not an environmentalist BUT I do believe in efficiency and therefore do drive small(ish) cars, live in a small house, keep the thermostat down etc.

By the way I do not look upon the Volt and Prius with disdain... wrong word entirely.
Disdain (or disdainment or disdainfully) is a feeling of contempt or scorn.

I just don't want one... I don't want a Buick or a Jaguar or a Volvo either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2010, 11:52:06 am »
Mass production by the end of 2010? If it is accurate that only 2 hand-built cars have been produced so far, I don't see how that can happen. A car manufacturer would normally need 2 build phases in the production assembly plant before the vehicle would be launched; there is not enough time left to do so, test the vehicles, make the design and production changes to address all newly found issues. And this is a standard process for conventional technology, nothing like bringing to market new hybrid technology.

It takes months to run durability tests, engineer design changes and get suppliers & assembly plant to implement and validate these changes. I find the mentioned time line very worrisome and frankly, not very credible.
There's ~80 pre-production vehicles currently out there but they aren't production "complete" like this one. The first production validation models will be coming off the actual production line in May.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/02/18/chevy-volt-gas-engine-will-run-every-60-days-no-matter-what/
Thus far, the 80 or so pre-production Volts have endured over 500,000 collective miles of test driving, with one car having completed 66,000 miles.

Starting in May, 300 more pre-production or validation vehicles will be built on the full-scale Detroit Hamtramck assembly line. These will be used for testing by engineers, consumers, and the media.

Thanks for the information. It's a more plausible they start making salable vehicles in December... or perhaps early next year.

vancouver man

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 02:48:19 am »
I just built 3 houses and I have all the garage rigged with 220v outlet just for electric vehicles. Now I am on my 10th client and all of them are saying "220v on my garage".  I can see these things being a common sight around Vancouver because the city is pushing for a greener way of life. I just wish and hope that future electric cars will be like battery operated toy cars that you can easily replace the battery just by opening a cover underneath it and pop the battery out and put a new one in. If it will be a 5 seater or something like a mazda 5 wagon I don't care what brand it is it will be parked on my driveway.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:37 am »
Maybe a 220V outlet in garages should be part of the building code. A good idea.

As for "popping out the battery and replacing it". In the Volt's case that would require a lift at least and in the case of all the Hybrid/Electrics so far, a big strong person to lift or manoeuvre  the battery... they are rather bigger and heavier than a regular 12V lead acid. Not to mention that all the warming and cooling stuff and control circuitry has to be removed or disconnected as well.    Next decade maybe... but not impossible to arrange.

Gwido

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:13 am »
From Greg's article:
I had expected it to keep running until the battery was fully charged...

The goal of the Volt is to reduce gas consumption. It would be counter-productive (and inefficient) to use the engine to recharge the battery. For maximum savings, you want to charge the battery by plugging-in when you reach your destination.
Meanwhile, the generator feeds the motor and keeps the battery around that 30% level.

Secret Identity

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 09:37:27 am »
Mass production by the end of 2010? If it is accurate that only 2 hand-built cars have been produced so far, I don't see how that can happen. A car manufacturer would normally need 2 build phases in the production assembly plant before the vehicle would be launched; there is not enough time left to do so, test the vehicles, make the design and production changes to address all newly found issues. And this is a standard process for conventional technology, nothing like bringing to market new hybrid technology.

It takes months to run durability tests, engineer design changes and get suppliers & assembly plant to implement and validate these changes. I find the mentioned time line very worrisome and frankly, not very credible.

EXACTLY....The General has been making too many promises with the VOLT.  First the BAIT and SWITCH sport car look body at the car shows when first introduced, what will the final product look like? Anyone's guess will do.  The word is the promised electric miles range is not achieveable at highway speeds.   More and more false promises, IMO the General is setting itself up for a major consumer let down and disappointment.

I too, do not want one.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:12 am »
I really think that GM isn't doing itself any favours with these frequent pre-production mini-tests.  Greg, who was able to 'test' it, did just a short drive on a one-way street... whats the point of this?  You get bits of information, which ends up raising more questions than answers.
IMHO, of course, GM would be better served to do this sort of test once the production versions are ready to roll (May ??), then lets see an extensive test in real world conditions. 

I for one am already tired of hearing about the Volt and its still a year or so away from real production.  I hope GM does get this right - i would be interested some day in a commuter type vehicle like this, but not for $40K.

One thing I noticed at the Auto Show last week was people's reaction to the Volt.  I wandered around the area where the Volt sat, and just watched reactions... there weren't any.  People passed by it and hardly gave it a second glance, like it was another Malibu or Impala.  The Camaros were getting noticed, but the Volt might as well been invisible.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 11:51:53 am »
Vapourware. That's all it is, vapourware! :D

Anyhow, I hope that GM sells a TON of these things. That will help keep prices of gas down so that the rest of us can keep enjoying the cars we love.

As an aside, seeing it in the flesh for the first time at the auto show, I must say it was a very sharp looking car. Never a bad thing!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 12:40:01 pm »
There is a method to the madness. Normally building this much hype and keeping it in the spotlight so far in advance really wou;ldn't be a good thing. Its going to be a long time even once they start production before they would be able to meet a big demand IF they could generate it. Chances are most dealers will end up with only a few and there will be waiting lists even without all the hype becuase of production bottlenecks.

BUT this is not about demand. its about the IPO. They need to keep the positive hype up so they can get the IPO done well in advance of the Volt actually becoming a real profit generating product. Its alot easier to sell an IPO based on hype and hope than on cold ahrd relaity. Good or bad the VOlt is not going to have any measurable effect on GMS $ picutre in the next couple of years if ever. Keep the fpocus on Volt pre production tests so people forget that the Cruze still isn;t out .

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »
Anyhow, I hope that GM sells a TON of these things. That will help keep prices of gas down so that the rest of us can keep enjoying the cars we love.

Of course, if that happens, then the price of electricity will go through the roof, and we would have to take that up the arse as well as at the gas pump!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:58:41 pm by WxyOne18 »

secret identity

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »
The two year old Volt hype has worn out the patience of many consumers, add the 45-50K price tag and the hype becomes disappointment.  

I too do not want one either.

True Conservative

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 12:57:18 am »
Another failure for GM and all it's staff.  Let's just give up this fiasco and let Cherry Motors start building the cars we need in NA.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2010, 10:03:30 pm »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »
Same concept from Lotus:

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/default.asp?storyId=21552

;D

So does that mean Lotus will have torque for once??   :stick:

Oh...and the old Ferrari designer now works for Lotus, so they might look good now too!   :stick:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:37 pm »
Another failure for GM and all it's staff.  Let's just give up this fiasco and let Cherry Motors start building the cars we need in NA.

I somehow doubt a "true conservative" would willingly buy an absolutely abysmal product made by communists. At least you have a sense of irony.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2010, 11:29:41 pm »
You and your torques!  Where are they now.. eh! eh!  :rofl2:

I somehow doubt a "true conservative" would willingly buy an absolutely abysmal product made by communists. At least you have a sense of irony.

:rofl: :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2010, 10:35:38 am »
Same concept from Lotus:

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/default.asp?storyId=21552

;D
..............is it gonna be called the LOTUS ELECTRISE............. ::) :P..LOTUS E-PLAN ?.....any more................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:49 pm »
The U.S. Military just admitted that they see massive shortages of oil production by the year 2015, possibly leading the the price of gasoline going up 3 to 4 times of what it is right now, maybe much more than even that!

Here's the article:
w.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/11/peak-oil-production-supply?source=patrick.net

So, if gas costs $4 per liter, I think that MOST people will be very interested in having a car that can drive 60 km on pure electric power, I know I will !  I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla that is incredibly fuel efficient, but still, with gas at $4 to $5 per liter, up from the $0.98 that it is now, even a Corolla won't be fuel efficient enough, only an electric car will be affordable for daily driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »
The U.S. Military just admitted that they see massive shortages of oil production by the year 2015, possibly leading the the price of gasoline going up 3 to 4 times of what it is right now, maybe much more than even that!

Here's the article:
w.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/11/peak-oil-production-supply?source=patrick.net

So, if gas costs $4 per liter, I think that MOST people will be very interested in having a car that can drive 60 km on pure electric power, I know I will !  I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla that is incredibly fuel efficient, but still, with gas at $4 to $5 per liter, up from the $0.98 that it is now, even a Corolla won't be fuel efficient enough, only an electric car will be affordable for daily driving.

The world is going to end in 2012, so why worry??   ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »
"the World is going to end in 2012" quote................WHY.is Toyota goin' BANKRUPT..... :stick: :pimp: