Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Highline  (Read 14432 times)

Offline dtep

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Highline
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 02:31:27 pm »
Totally agree with Great_Big_Abyss!!

I happen to have both the corolla (2003), and the current jetta and i would say I strongly believe the line "You get what you pay for". Yes the Jetta is a few $k more than the Corolla, but after driviing 4 yrs behind the wheel of a corolla and a jetta; my observations:

Corolla LE (first model year - kept for 3.5 yrs):

- Strong "whistling"Rattles when idling from engine bay (Toyota said they cannot hear it?!?!)
- Door rubber seal fell off in the inside after 3 yrs (created wind noise in unbearable manner)
- Notice interior gap getting bigger with time (esp when I look at the new corolla in show room, the gaps in my car are horrible!)
- OEM $500 alarm system went crazy after 3 years (Toyota charge me $100 an hour to "check" with no guarantee fix)
- Interior center cubby pannel fell off (had to use hot glue gun to glue that "faux wood" panel back to the cubby)
- Screw fell out of no where from passenger footwell

Jetta (2006-first model year, now on my 5th yr):

- Broken interior plastic on A/C vent (due to the harsh detailing done by dealer)
- Suspension Rattle (fix under warranty)
- Electronic door pull "electronic unlock mechanism" on one door failed (fix under warranty)
- No Engine Rattle (now on my 5th yr w/ >80k)
- Door Seal/Interior panel feels like Day1!

VW has some problem but all got fixed under warranty (still a happy driver till now) whereas the quality of work on the corolla is definitely horrible after 3 years (not going back to toyota again)

Frankly speaking, the corolla seems like it has less "mechanical" problem, but one has to know that the technology inside a corolla is really basic that it SHOULD be problem free for sure! (technology in corolla is always a few years back with comparable german cars.

Anyway, Hope this help with prospective buyers!