Author Topic: Your Side mirror settings  (Read 2416 times)

mp3butt

Your Side mirror settings
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »
Hi guys,

I am just curious how you guys set the side-mirrors. When I was younger I set them to a point that i just missed the side the car.

pro: you see the traffic from behind and on the 2 lanes of your side
con: you have to shoulder check everytime you do lane-change.

Now, as a Kenziean I set them in a way that they cover the blinds spots. I don't have to shoulder check the traffic on the lane adjacent to my vehicle, resulting in quick and decision lane change. However, I am missing out on the blind area on the lane left or right to the adjacent lane.
It is not a problem on city roads, but it could be an issue on 401. Should I stick convex mirror on the side mirrors?

Do you guys have any ideas/insights on this?

Thanks
MP3

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Your Side mirror settings
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:26 pm »
When a car in an adjacent lane is coming behind me, and leaves my central review mirror, it then enters my side mirror.  Upon leaving the view of the side mirror, it is in my peripheral vision.  No blind spots.  If a prospective car's mirrors can't be set this way, no sale.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:06:09 pm »
I set mine as far to the extremity as possible...outward...the opposite of looking down the side of the car which is pointless!

That setting the way my seat is positioned takes over just past my peripheral vision if I turn my head to the left slightly.

Good post! You average driver is clueless as to how to set the side view mirrors.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:32:55 pm »
I set mine as far to the extremity as possible...outward...the opposite of looking down the side of the car which is pointless!

That setting the way my seat is positioned takes over just past my peripheral vision if I turn my head to the left slightly.

Having read the article on it now, I have started to do this too.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

mp3butt

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
When a car in an adjacent lane is coming behind me, and leaves my central review mirror, it then enters my side mirror.  Upon leaving the view of the side mirror, it is in my peripheral vision.  No blind spots.  If a prospective car's mirrors can't be set this way, no sale.

Hey John,

My setting is exactly like yours. The problem I experience with my GTI is that if a car on the outside lane moves into the adjacent lane at the level of the back of my car, the rather thick D-pillars blocks the motion of the car coming in from the outside. I hope you get what I mean.

thanks
MP3

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:42:11 pm »
I set mine the old-fashioned way: so I can just see the side of the car.

I've tried the "new" way a couple of times, and always go back to the old way. The first reason is that, in my experience, there's simply no substitute for a proper shoulder check. Even if your mirrors are set so there is no blind spot in the lane next to you, I want to know what's going on two lanes over, and also want to get a good look (not just peripherally) at what's going on right next to me. No mirror, no matter how it's set up, can give me that.

Second, I use the side mirrors to back into tight spaces. If you can't see the side of your car, how do you know how much room you have between your car and that concrete post?

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:57:21 pm »
Old fashioned way here as well.

For the same reasons as above.  It's the best way to get a sense of the traffic around me, it's the best way to judge if it's safe (and appropriate) to switch into the next lane, and I use it to help me park. Why setup the mirrors for a single use function?  Shoulder checking isn't hard.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:22:08 pm »
I have mine setup so that when a vehicle disappears from my rear view mirror, it'll show up in the left or right side mirrors.   I still do the shoulder check to be sure.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:01:32 am »
I still do the shoulder check to be sure.

:iagree: No matter how you set up your mirrors, shoulder checking is important. I usually check, indicate, check again, and move... better safe than sorry.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:00 am »
I normally just shoulder check, then accelerate to change to the next lane.

Don't pay a lot of attention to the mirrors.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:40 am »
I adjust my side mirrors at an angle that no portion of the side of the car is visible, however, I am also a shoulder checker.   

On some cars with the reversing mirror down feature, selecting reverse simply drops the mirrors to curb or road level.  Adjusting the mirrors to a more outwardly position would drop the mirrors to somewhere in the next parking spot... ;D 
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »
I'm with John. Normally I adjust my side mirrors so that as a vehicle beside me passes, I can see it enter the side mirror just as it's leaving the center rearview. With the passenger side mirror adjusted that way I can just see the side of the car. The Versa has big mirrors and windows, and other than the C-pillar, not much in the way of blind spots so outward vision is excellent. That makes shoulder checking easy - mirrors are no substitute for that.  :)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

vdk

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »
Hi guys,

I am just curious how you guys set the side-mirrors. When I was younger I set them to a point that i just missed the side the car.

pro: you see the traffic from behind and on the 2 lanes of your side
con: you have to shoulder check everytime you do lane-change.

Now, as a Kenziean I set them in a way that they cover the blinds spots. I don't have to shoulder check the traffic on the lane adjacent to my vehicle, resulting in quick and decision lane change. However, I am missing out on the blind area on the lane left or right to the adjacent lane.
It is not a problem on city roads, but it could be an issue on 401. Should I stick convex mirror on the side mirrors?

Do you guys have any ideas/insights on this?

Thanks
MP3

Get the convex EU mirrors. They're like $50.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »
Old fashioned way + shoulder checks.

I park in tight spots all the time and couldn't do it if I have the mirrors set otherwise, or I would have to adjust them all the time.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »
:iagree: No matter how you set up your mirrors, shoulder checking is important. I usually check, indicate, check again, and move... better safe than sorry.

I still remember the proper procedure from when I took young drivers about 12 years ago.  rear view mirror, side mirrof, signal, side mirror, shoulder check.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »
Should I stick convex mirror on the side mirrors?

Yep. If you have the convex's there is no need to shoulder check. If the EU type have two pieces of glass in the same mirror(convex and standard) then that is ideal, still looks stock.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:06 pm »
Our Suburban has dual mirrors (normal on top and a convex one on the bottom). It is very handy, and does eliminate the blind spot, but I still need to shoulder check.

I can think of one incident that illustrates the point: me in the left lane, the middle lane clear, and a pickup in the right lane. I wanted to move back into the middle lane, and from both the mirrors and situational awareness, I knew there were no cars in the way.

But, when I did a quick shoulder check to make absolutely sure, I saw that the guy in the truck two lanes over was also craning his neck around in his own shoulder check. So, even though everything was clear at the time, the shoulder check showed me that we were both about to move into the same open spot at about the same time. I never would have picked that up from a mirror check alone.

I also had another close call with a bike courier who came straight at me from the side, a little behind, and perpendicularly across three lanes of city traffic. My blind spot was clear, but if it wasn't for a shoulder check, I would have changed lanes right into him. Of course, in that case I wouldn't have felt too bad about it.