Author Topic: 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty; Day 1  (Read 17719 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 09:38:27 am »
You obviously need a major vehicle to follow your leisure lifestyle but can not help thinking that this major effort could be directed towards more rewarding ends. Sailing, hiking,  photography perhaps; considering rapidly declining species.

It is perfectly legitimate IMO, for those who wish, to express their opinions on the viability of using vehicles that they consider inappropriate for the purpose for which they are used. Some use this kind of vehicle for ordinary transportation because they merely like to or consider them safer in a crash. No matter the damage they cause to other vehicles in such situations or horrendous consumption.

Maybe leaving a small footprint is an important...good thing. We enjoy trailering too on a small scale and although we only use a Caravan to tow we utilise a small car for general transportation when at home.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:40 am »
Wow - impressive fuel economy for a truck with those capabilities. I'm not that far off on that with my F150 with the 5.4.

67 Piston Slap

Calvin

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »
Wow - impressive fuel economy for a truck with those capabilities. I'm not that far off on that with my F150 with the 5.4.
You might not be far off, but that's empty, whereas the F250 gets it while pulling 5000 lbs (it's 19 mpg BTW).  I've got an 08 F150 4X4, 4 door, 6.5' bed...and I've yet to see anything above 17 mpg.  My camper is about 5500 lbs and then I'm down to the normal 12, or less.  I suppose it doesn't help that we only use it for my wife to drive the 4km to work everyday so it never gets a chance to actually set a high bench mark (keeps the km count low and my drive is longer so I get the barely more fuel (in)efficient Taurus).  But, I hear guys claiming 26 Imp mpg (I shouldn't have to say that, being a Cdn website, but I will in case any foreigners are listening) with their 5.4's (in the 5.5' bed 4 door - like that should make a difference) and even Chevy guys claim mid 20's.  I call BS but that's simply because it's been un-obtanium for me.  And my wife has soft feet - i.e. she takes longer than your grandma to get to speed...if grandma was in a wheelchair.  I for one, would LOVE this truck if they could offer it in a price range more in line with my XTR/XLT, ok maybe a few grand more for the diesel...simply for the impressive mileage.  But 70g!!  I can get 2 F150's for that.  If I could (afford this truck), I might make the wife take the car and I get to drive the truck!  ;D  Maybe if we lament loud enough Ford's decision to cancel the F150 diesel they'll come around and offer one.  Can you imagine a smaller diesel, with a still acceptable 300 hp, 500 lb ft of torque in a half ton?  Probably get 30's+ empty.  They'd remain #1 for as long as no one else did the same thing.  Maybe forever. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:10:15 pm by Calvin »

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »
Great post.  :rofl:

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »
Maybe if we lament loud enough Ford's decision to cancel the F150 diesel they'll come around and offer one.  Can you imagine a smaller diesel, with a still acceptable 300 hp, 500 lb ft of torque in a half ton?  Probably get 30's+ empty.  They'd remain #1 for as long as no one else did the same thing.  Maybe forever. 

The new Ecoboost for the 2011 F-150 might be interesting. 

Ford has officially said the F-150's EcoBoost engine will arrive by late 2010 with improved fuel economy and low-end torque with a broad, diesel-like torque curve through most of its power band. Our sources say it will be rated at about 400 hp and more than 400 pounds-feet of torque. Gas mileage is expected to be at least 23 mpg on the highway.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/05/spied-2011-ford-f150-with-ecoboost-v6.html
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Calvin

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:07 am »
Yeah that V-6 should be sweet, but I wonder if it will actually achieve big numbers.  It's like buying a better exhaust for your truck.  It gives it more power & better mileage...but if we're all the same (i.e. 'car guys') - the louder it is, the more power it makes, the more we're on the gas, the worse the mileage is.  So much for getting better mileage!  (I know I'd be running to 60 in 7 seconds every chance I got - could take me YEARS to get over that...LOL)

A couple of things bother me though about the V-6 turbo. 
1.  It will never sound like a V-8.  If I have a truck, I want that V-8 rumble. When I need to stand on it, or even as much as half throttle, I want a smile on my face.  Something the Taurus can't offer...ever (mine's 10 yrs old - so you know what I'm talkin about). Not sure what it is, but when I start mine, it's got a great burble/note to the exhaust that even a Chevy can't match (the in-laws '07 is like starting up an 85 Caprice - nothing but whoosh of silence - even he likes the way the Ford sounds on startup).
2.  How reliable will it be in 100,000 or 200,000 km?  Will the turbos need replacing?  Or costly repairs?  I know the new 6.2 will (should) go forever.  Probably outlast me.  I do love the idea of 400 hp and lb ft to boot out of a 6 with great mileage (beats 300 anyday!) but if in the end it's going to cost $5g every 5 yrs for new turbos or an engine...meh...I dunno.  Little leary.  I can buy a lot of gas with what it costs to repair a turbo...

Anyway, this is about the big diesel isn't it...I have the same fears about them, cost wise...but I still want one. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 11:21:36 pm »
The new Ecoboost for the 2011 F-150 might be interesting. 

diesel-like

Don't make it diesel like, make it frickin' diesel!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 01:10:53 pm »
I think the diesel V10 Touareg puts out 310hp and 553 ft-lbs of torque (749.8Nm). Still lots.

This sucker puts out 996.5Nm. Enough to move my mother-in-law. Just.

I don't think I want to meet your mother-in-law.

You might have already sceen her. She used to do commercials.

THAT'S HER! :run:

My MIL is so fat, she puts on a black t-shirt and gets in her car, everybody thinks she's got tinted windows!

Holy %$%#, aahahhahahaahaahahahahahhaha.

Back on the truck, that's huge, If a Ram has problems moving around here I can't imagine this monster.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:13:43 pm by Wolverine »
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."