Author Topic: The SHO is Back!  (Read 21110 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: The SHO is Back!
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 08:27:02 am »
The more I read about the new SHO the more I like. I think Ford is way ahead of the curve compared to GM and Chrysler in this mess.

Yeah but you would prefer...

:P

:love: I know...and the Auzies have so many mines....summer...golf... :'(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:35 am »
Any idea why GM and Ford don't bring their Aussie models over the water? They would fit the market perfectly.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 08:50:27 am »
Any idea why GM and Ford don't bring their Aussie models over the water? They would fit the market perfectly.

The Holden is here via. G8 so it’s Ford’s turn to match with the Falcon.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:16 am »
Yeah but the holden and vauxhall versions are nicer than the G8. The UK one is awesome. Yeah I do like that Falcon.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 09:02:23 am »
I've heard the XR6 turbo is a better drive than the XR8, is that true?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 09:10:03 am »
I've heard the XR6 turbo is a better drive than the XR8, is that true?

The XR6 is lighter, faster and more fuel efficient…..so yes.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:34 am »
Ok. So they've got a shopped torque curve and want to charge over 40k for a TAURUS ?  And thats when a 44k CAD buys you an 8cyl car of the year with more power and torque and likely better resale value. Step away from the bong, Ford.  ;D

The rwd Genesis is certainly a competitor, but the 4.6l V8 puts out 375hp on premium, 368hp regular. Torque numbers are 333ft-lbs. and 324ft-lbs with premium and regular. Peak torque is much higher in the rev range. The Taurus is getting 365hp and 350ft-lbs out of 3.5L V6, which isn't bad in a sporty sedan.

It'll be interesting to see the numbers on the SHO.

It all looks good on paper, but here is an example of a real dyno test; compare that to the bogus drawing for SHO

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 10:28:22 am »
Oh, I know it's a cheesy spreadsheet, and the torque curve won't be that flat, but I suspect it'll be close. That's why I'm curious about some performance numbers.

Noble turbocharged the old 3.0L Duratec and got somewhere around 600hp out of it. I kind of wonder how much tuners might be able to coax out of the 3.5L cyclone.

Now, Ford needs to take the eccoboost and stick it in the rear of the new Fiesta! ;D 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 10:29:10 am »

Uncertain future for Australian Falcon
Ford's decision to drop its global rear-wheel drive platform development puts added pressure on the locally made Falcon and increases speculation Australia could get the American Taurus.
The future of the locally built Falcon large car faces fresh uncertainty after Ford said it was abandoning its rear-wheel-drive development program in North America.

Ford Australia was expected to play a key role in the program, with rear-wheel-drive Fords and Lincolns being built on the Falcon’s platform.

The large American cars were due to go on sale in 2013, about two years before the next-generation Falcon is anticipated.

Ford’s product planning chief Derek Kuzak confirmed the decision to axe its rear-wheel-drive plans at the 2009 Detroit motor show debut of the new-generation, front-drive Taurus.

“Because of [government] directives on [stricter] fuel economy, we did have a substantial rear-wheel-drive program under way, but we put that vehicle program on hold and stopped it,” says Kuzak.

“We’re now looking through various alternatives [for Ford large-car platforms] as we look into the future. But we have stopped work on rear-wheel drive.”

Kuzak didn’t rule out a next-generation version of the American-built Taurus becoming Ford’s new global large car as part of the company’s new One-Ford strategy – where one Ford product is designed to be sold worldwide rather than completely different vehicles for separate markets.

The new Taurus is powered by the 3.5-litre V6 Duratec engine that was set to be installed in the Falcon from 2010 before Ford Australia reversed its decision in late 2008.

Already industry speculation suggests Ford made the decision to stick with the inline six-cylinder it has built in Geelong for five decades because it made more business sense than reingeering the existing Falcon for a new V6. While Ford is confirming it will build Falcons with a version of the existing engine until 2013 it will not confirm the future of locally made Falcons beyond that date.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=60193&pg=1&vf=0

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 12:13:41 pm »
That's disappointing. RWD is what makes large sedans with large engines do much fun.

Slide748

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 02:15:23 am »
I don't understand the comparison with the BMW 550. They are in totally different market segments. The SHO's competition will be cars like the G8 , Charger, TL and Infiniti G35. Despite the SHO's great looks, it's got a tough fight ahead.