Author Topic: 2nd go at do not call list  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
2nd go at do not call list
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:00:13 pm »
Don't let it get as bad as the first thread please...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,59582.0.html

but

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090123.wdonotcall23/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

Listing your name on Canada's new do-not-call registry could actually increase the likelihood that you will be targeted by unscrupulous telemarketers.

The Consumers' Association of Canada says it has been inundated with complaints from people who have been called by scam artists after placing their telephone numbers on the registry, which went into effect last September.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: 2nd go at do not call list
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:04:31 pm »
Yeah, I saw that yesterday but was too scared to bring it up again. I guess our friend garburator was right!  :rofl2:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:27:06 pm »
Yeah, I saw that yesterday but was too scared to bring it up again. I guess our friend garburator was right!  :rofl2:

Likewise, appears we owe him a "sorry". Trust the CRTC to screw it up.  ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

barrie1

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:20:09 pm »
The Gov has No business of selling these lists at all as far as I am concerned as I signed on NOT to be bothered and have my name sold to some dirtbag who only wants to bug and cheat me. Typical of Harpers act I feel.  >:(

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:22:58 am »
Well so much for privacy. That didn't last long did it?

I hope there is enough public outcry and backlash that someone will step in and make it work. I have to wonder who would authorize that, knowing the intent of the list in the first place. What were they thinking? Not a funny matter at all. >:(

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:04:47 am »
"We've all heard these stories where someone gets taken advantage of," said Mr. Thibault. "And if this does happen because we've forgotten to cross an 'i' or dot a 't,' then, shame on us. We're putting this in place to help, not to make it worse."

It seems they they are still not sure what the heck they want to do. Or is it one of those idiotmic things?  :rofl2:
Could have used encryption but the ppl in charge of the list would still sell it.
Best option IMHO and I'm not sure why it was not considered is to have no list.
With no extra charge one should be given an option by Bell and others to not have their number published anywhere, be that yellow pages, data bases or anything else.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:01 am »
If I get ONE MORE CALL from 000-000-0000 I'm going to strangle someone.  >:(
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:34:01 am »
My Wife's sister had this really good Bell service when they lived in Montreal that was a call identifier service. The way it worked was that whomever was calling had to say there name and identify themselves, then it recorded the message, then the phone rang with a message from Bell asking if you wanted to accept a call from whomever called you from the recorded message, if you did want the call you dialed a certain number, if not, then you pressed another number for refusing the call. I thought this system to be unique and really good. When I phoned Bell up to inquire about this service where I live today they said they did not have this service so it must have been within Quebec only. Possibly it was tied to one of those "vista" phones that were hi-end a few years back as they had that type of handset.
Anyone heard of this before or if it's still offered somewhere else?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 11:43:25 am »
^ I have that service with Primus, and it works very well.  You can set it up so that callers either have to press 1 to be connected, or say their name and the household is then given the option to answer or deny the call.  There's also an option that simply sends any suspected telemarketer right to voicemail.

Primus keeps a list of known telemarketing numbers, so most calls don't get through at all.  And you can report any number that does get through as a telemarketer, and the system will automatically block future calls from that number.

Works great, overall.  I got a couple of calls yesterday from that "Your Auto Warranty is about to expire!!!" scam, but I reported the number as a telemarketer and haven't heard from them since.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 12:32:03 pm »
I must be lucky, as I never get any telemarketing calls on either of my phones. ???

Aside from stupid MBNA always offering me crap, but I just asked them to stop and they obliged.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

mar1990

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 12:54:31 pm »
My Wife's sister had this really good Bell service when they lived in Montreal that was a call identifier service. The way it worked was that whomever was calling had to say there name and identify themselves, then it recorded the message, then the phone rang with a message from Bell asking if you wanted to accept a call from whomever called you from the recorded message, if you did want the call you dialed a certain number, if not, then you pressed another number for refusing the call. I thought this system to be unique and really good. When I phoned Bell up to inquire about this service where I live today they said they did not have this service so it must have been within Quebec only. Possibly it was tied to one of those "vista" phones that were hi-end a few years back as they had that type of handset.
Railton

We are with bell and have a similar service.  Part of their "privacy bundle".  If a call comes in and there is no call display info (like say from a hospital), the caller has the option to key in their number to allow the call to go through.  Unfortunately its easy to circumvent as all you have to do is enter any number.  Thats how I thought they were getting through to my phone.

We were getting calls with 000-... or 123-... finally got through the speal and told the operator to take me off their f---g list.

The 000- number was the stupid "Capitan speaking..." one, and the  123... one was either the credit card interest rate one or or the warranty was about to expire.. one.

The "customer service" number for the credit card one is 1-213-537-1095.  (Los Angeles number?) The company is called "MCS".  It finally showed up on my call display.

We are not on the do not call list.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 02:12:44 pm »
....U Lot....TAWKIN' Ta ME????...................do not call werked fer ME...... :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 08:57:28 pm »
Railton

I got it, and still have it, through Bell -- as Mar said, under the Call Privacy bundle.  It's a nifty little option, but you do pay for the service.  Around $7.00/month, IIRC.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 11:27:16 am »
I got those telemarketing phone calls on both the house phone and cell phone, with Caller ID, I can screen most of them. However, the banks that I deal with do try to do a fair amount of up selling as well via cold calls, those annoy me even more.

I got a lot of phone calls asking from the "so-call Charitable organization for a good cause" as well, those are the worse, trying to make you feel bad by not giving them money. I have developed a line, ... "Not Interested, committed to local charity only, do you want to say good-bye or have me have hang-up?"

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:47:38 pm »
I did not sign up as I wanted time for any bugs to show up.  And thanks to carburator I had second thoughts later.  Glad I didn't sign on.  And how do you fix this now the phone numbers are out there?
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:34:03 am »
I don't speak English when I answer the phone.  :)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 12:40:24 am »
^^ Pardon your FRENCH ...

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 06:33:02 am »

His name is carburator   Not garburator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy Rooney recommends  three words.  "Hold on please"  and leave the receiver for several minutes. Let the caller hold on for a very long time.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:38:03 am by duck »

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 10:53:56 am »

His name is carburator   Not garburator