Author Topic: BMW 5 series hatchback given go ahead  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
BMW 5 series hatchback given go ahead
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:56:40 am »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Cortina

Re: BMW 5 series hatchback given go ahead
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:04:32 am »
looks like a 6 from the front. I'm like Meh. :-\

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:23 pm »
I doubt we will see it in Canada, as hatches do not sell well in the US, and the Cdn market is too small on it's own to bring it to NA.

We do get the 535xiTouring sports wagon which does the job IMO.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:14:53 pm »
I doubt we will see it in Canada, as hatches do not sell well in the US, and the Cdn market is too small on it's own to bring it to NA.

We do get the 535xiTouring sports wagon which does the job IMO.

The 5 Touring is brilliant, this not so much.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:38:48 pm »
It looks quite attractive, imo, which is more than can be said for the X6.  Not sure if there's enough of a market for this, though...  BMW will offer the 5 Touring, the slightly higher 5 PAS, and the slightly higher X6?  Seems like too many models for too few customers to me...  ???

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:56:43 pm »
It looks quite attractive, imo, which is more than can be said for the X6.  Not sure if there's enough of a market for this, though...  BMW will offer the 5 Touring, the slightly higher 5 PAS, and the slightly higher X6?  Seems like too many models for too few customers to me...  ???

The PAS just kills me inside. What exactly is the point of that thing?

Are all manufacturers continually adjusting their lineup to match the whims of the ever more ancient baby boomers (ones who still think they're too young and hip for a Volvo).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:58:45 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:19:08 pm »

The PAS just kills me inside. What exactly is the point of that thing?

Are all manufacturers continually adjusting their lineup to match the whims of the ever more ancient baby boomers (ones who still think they're too young and hip for a Volvo).

They have money to spend.  Sounds like a good enough reason to cater to them.   

BMW could be copying the old Mazda6 line up of sedan, hatch, wagon.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:57 am »

That Mazda chose to discontinue that approach would suggest it was not cost effective, no?  Ergo, BMW should not copy it.

OTOH, they're giving us crap like the X6, so...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 01:15:36 am »
"...they're giving us crap like the X6"

Not saying the X6 is a pretty car, but it seems that it handles extremely well and is a well-balanced vehicle (whatever it is). I don't think any vehicle with the bones of the X6 can be characterized as "crap", especially by those who not driven it.  ::)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 01:24:37 am »

Not saying the X6 is a pretty car, but it seems that it handles extremely well and is a well-balanced vehicle (whatever it is). I don't think any vehicle with the bones of the X6 can be characterized as "crap", especially by those who not driven it.  ::)

I'm sure, being a BMW, it's good to drive.  I just don't see the point of it, and happen to think it looks like the bastard love child of a Sherman tank and a Pontiac Aztek, and shouldn't be allowed within 300 meters of an elementary school lest is cause severe emotional trauma.

I mean "crap" insofar as the concept goes...  by all accounts, the execution of said crap is actually quite good.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 06:17:31 am »

All the downsides of a "sporty crossover" (i.e., higher curb weight and higher center of gravity) with no more interior space than a sport sedan.  I think this is one where people CAN say it doesn't make sense without driving it (or the next "don't criticize BMW tests," owning it for a year).

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:46:54 am »

That Mazda chose to discontinue that approach would suggest it was not cost effective, no?  Ergo, BMW should not copy it.

OTOH, they're giving us crap like the X6, so...

Mazda did not discontinue that setup... see Europe Mazda6.

Only discontinued for the NA market
Americans don't like wagons/hatches  :banghead:

I really hope Mazda will bring the mazda6 hatch to Canada as a special case like the Lancer Wagon and X-Trail.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:50:18 am »
I really hope Mazda will bring the mazda6 hatch to Canada as a special case like the Lancer Wagon and X-Trail.

Don't hold your breath as it won't happen. Since the NA Mazda6 is an entirely different car they won't do it.

Re this BMW, I don't think it will be a hit. A 3 series hatch might be a better buy but how many people in this price bracket would get a hatch over the wagon? Are there even other hatches at this level?

Also, I wonder how long these meeting are to come up with names like PAS? Maybe they should just add another "S" to the end.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:41 am »

I'm sure, being a BMW, it's good to drive.  I just don't see the point of it, and happen to think it looks like the bastard love child of a Sherman tank and a Pontiac Aztek, and shouldn't be allowed within 300 meters of an elementary school lest is cause severe emotional trauma.

I mean "crap" insofar as the concept goes...  by all accounts, the execution of said crap is actually quite good.

OK, and I admit that the visual appearance of it leaves a lot to be desired IMO, especially from the rear. I would not likely consider this vehicle over the more traditional X5. To me, the X5 makes a lot more sense and has more carry capacity. In some ways, I suspect BMW felt like they had to make something to compete with the Cayanne S Turbo as I hear there is talk at BMW of an M model of the X6.  ::)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:20 pm »
Also, I wonder how long these meeting are to come up with names like PAS? Maybe they should just add another "S" to the end.

I can see it now: get your new BMW 535 PAS sDrive!  What a mess...

Wolfe

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »
I didn't realize that it was possible for a car company to get Attention Deficit Disorder.  :-\