Author Topic: Project: Purple Heart Wooden Cigar Ashtray  (Read 3666 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Project: Purple Heart Wooden Cigar Ashtray
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:10:17 am »
Here's a project I recently finished.  I've wanted a nice, large ashtray for my smoking room.  I really like the CAO "Cubist" ashtray, but the price is a bit more than I wanted to pay.  So I decided to do my own similar in style but larger yet than the Cubist.

I wanted the wood to be an exotic.  My smoking room is going to have different, unique shades of woods in it...so I wanted something with a bit of "WOW!" to it.  So an exotic wood was the way to go for me.  Luckily, there's a local exotic wood retailer, so away I went!!  There was plenty to choose from.  Zebrawood, Bubinga, Bloodwood, Wenge, Zebrawood...the list went on and on.  I finally spotted the wood I wanted.  It had a few qualities I needed for the project.  1) Price.  Some of those woods were $20+ per board foot.  This one was about $7.50.  2) Hardness. This wood was dense and hard. There would be ashes and probably some bumping around of the ashtray, so durability was important. 3) COLOUR!!  The colour looked great, and I knew it has some good possibility of being beautiful. So the wood I chose was PURPLE HEART, a South/Central American hardwood.

I bought several feet of 10"x1" thick wood. I wanted to have enough to make at least 2 big ashtrays plus a few small ashtray I had been thinking about.  Plus a couple feet extra for testing for colour, finish, etc.  After getting the wood, I read up on it.  The colour when originally cut is brownish, but as it hits the air and light turns to the nice purple colour.  Also I found out a chemical agent in the wood, Peltogynol, was what altered the colour and oven heating had an effect on this.  So I put a few pieces in the oven to see how they would turn out.  I liked the colour in the 350-425 degree range after 10 minutes in the oven.  Neat.

Now that the colour issue was settled, I had to design it.  I eye-balled a few designs but wanted mine larger using as much as the 10" width of the wood as possible.  I settled on a size roughly 9.625" x 9.625" x 3" tall.  I cut my pieces and laminated 3 pieces together to get the desired thickness.  While these dried I made the design using CAD software.  The design looked pretty good on the screen.  I even photo-realistically rendered it in a purple colour to get a better idea of the finished product.  I hoped it would look as good when done!

With my chunks of wood dry, I had to set about machining these.  Since the shape is a bit complex, it would be tough to do this without special tool.  Since I have access to CNC Machining Centers, I would machine these out this way.  I made the programs using a CAM package and put the block in a vise and away I went.  I immediately notice that the wood splintered easily on the edges.  I tried different tooling..from regular high speed steel all the way up to titanium coated carbide.  It didn't seem to matter.  A couple areas has splinters..and not much I could do about it.  Once the first one was done and my design proved out, I did the second one.  From start to finish, total machine time was maybe 20 minutes each.  I can't imagine how long it would take using traditional workshop methods. Anyone who could make this in a home workshop would be very skilled.

I did the usual sanding from a coarse all the way down to a fine 400.  Along the way, I noted something.  A sliver from Purple Heart festers in the skin VERY quickly.  I don't know if it's that same chemical that controls the colour, but the sliver would become almost infected-like within a day.   :'(  Once sanding was done, getting the colour right was my next challenge.  I tried various light stains, clears, oils.  An oil would be the way to go, since even the slightest tinge altered the lovely purple colour.  I chose a Danish Oil.  I did several coats and sanded ever so gently with 0000 steel wool in between.  I'm no expert wood finisher unfotunately and the Purple Heart was a bit tough to get perfect.  I wish I was better in this regard.  But overall the project came out OK I think.  Please tell me what you think.

The cigars in the ashtray are : A NUB 358 being smoked by me, a Macanudo 1968 being smoked by Import Queen and a Taboo Twist waiting on deck! You can get an idea of the size of the ashtray since the Twist is 6" long and the NUB has a 58 ring gauge.  The colour itself doesn't show well in the pictures.  Partly due to my crappy photography skills.  It's much more purple in person.  

Oh..I've also included a picture of my little single cigar ashtray.  The cigar groove is angled towards the hole so that if the cigar slip it won't fall off the backside but rather into the hole.  This one has a light stain on it called "Cabernet".  I gave one of these to Las Palmas to use for smoking cigars while he re-habs from his scooter mauling.  :)

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Project: Purple Heart Wooden Cigar Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:40:45 am »
Very very Nice!!!!!!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:49:02 pm »
..I'm gettin' a HARD woodie...seeing all those smokes goin' ta WASTE................. ;D...these daze! that type of sh*t has to be hidden from the GOV....... ;D :rofl: :popo: :popo:..or it could be 5 years in Sing Sing Or Puff Puff.................."Oh rest yer merry stubbies on this our Christmas day and exhale hosannas that would make a city Council pale..................."......................

Exhale to the CHIEF PUFFER Rrocket_Man..... :thumbup: :banana: :lick: :bow2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:31:36 pm »
Looks really nice!  :thumbup:

But... are you going to be able to relax and enjoy your smoke? If it were mine, I think I'd be too worried about putting an ugly burn mark in it.  :'(

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »
I don't think there will be any burn marks in it.  Generally, I let the ash fall off...so there's really no ember on it.  And I don't butt out my cigars usually...I let them go out on their own. So there should not be too many burns.  If I do get burns on it...those will be added character!  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 08:37:27 pm »
Wonderful design and workmanship RR!

I'm assuming you took the pics with a digital camera?  Digital camera sensors, even the really expensive ones, have real trouble capturing purple so it's not your photography skills.

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:00:59 pm »
Mr BURNS why do U have Rrocket in captivity.............. ;D....smokin'...............

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 09:24:45 pm »
Pretty impressive work!  I do think there's something special about something you make yourself that a store-bought product, no matter how good, can't replace.

gottarondo

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:01:52 am »
Stunning... brilliant design and nicely done; very innovative method.  Never encountered that.  I love purple heart - I have a cutting board made from it that serves a mostly decorative function because it needs frequent re-oiling after being used, but it's so nice, it was worth every penny.  You can get purple heart flooring... sadly my husband doesn't share my weakness for it so I don't imagine it's in my future.