Author Topic: Mediterranean Cruising  (Read 2172 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Mediterranean Cruising
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:41:30 am »
Gee, it almost been a month since we returned from our vacation. And it's been a busy month too so that made things interesting with lots of good and not so good things happening. One death before (our oldest puppy) and one during ( the ex wife) didn't help make it any easier, but both were events we knew were going to happen and that helped in dealing with it all.

We started this trip of a lifetime with a day ahead of our cruise in Rome and shared our flight over with some guy named Gary Hart who at one time had presidential aspiriations until his love life interfered. Didn't talk with him since he was 'up front' in the plane.

Rome is simply beyond words. So much to see and so much history. The Vatican, St. Peters Square - and the list goes on - just simply amazing. I actually called the pope out to see if he wanted to come and say hello - but he didn't so the Halifax with him. ::) I'm also a Dan Brown fan and so my highlights were seeing the Angels and Demons places including the tower.

Then we were off to Naples to see Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Sorrento. Breathtaking and the Lemoncello was very,very good! If there is one other place to go in Italy, make it this area. So pretty. Didn't have time for Capri. Next time.

Over to Dubrovnik Croatia next and the walled city. Pretty neat experience and for excitement we had our cab driver arrested! He charged us too much and the Taxi drivers union and the Police had him 'taken care of'. That was funny.

Then Venice - wow. I love that place. For some reason the humidity seemed a little high.  ;D  The gondolas and vaporettos were fun.

Then down to Sicily and saw Mt. Etna and Taormina - very nice place to go and the cannoli is to die for. You just have to try them. That night we left and saw Mt. Stromboli fire up - it is the only active volcano in the area and like clockwork - off it went. Got a couple of shots of that.

Barcelona was next, but it rained. Still shopping was on order and leather shoes are cheap so two pair joined our baggage. Las Ramblas area is quaint and quirky with lots of character and characters. ::)

A rare storm throughout Central Europe with strong winds caused us to miss Monaco and discover Genoa - think Chris C here, but other than that claim to fame we only got to enjoy their wonderful seven stop subway system for an afternoon while we tried to chase down a refund - without success because Italians can't or won't count time! We had some gifts to send to a friend who nows lives in Monaco and just had a baby. Since we did not go to Monaco - Genoa was next so we boxed up everything and set off to find a post office - via the subway. Long story worth telling at another time.

Over to Florence and Pisa next and it's another must see place - Leaning Tower is still leaning and David is still posing nude. Although you are not supposed to take any pictures in the Accadamia.....I snuck in one and you can see it. Santa Croce, Pont Vecchio Bridge, Biboli Gardens - wow. Great place to see and enjoy.

Then it was back to Rome for the last day and a chance to test out their subway system while we explored Trevi Fountain. Near there is the Triton statue and fountain sculpted by Bernini. Beside that is Hotel Bernini where my old neighbour used to work 50 years ago so we got some pix of the area to bring back and share with him.

Those were the places and then there was the ship which we shared with 2,900 other people and it didn't feel like it. But the food was fantastic and I didn't gain a pound - maybe a few.  ::)  So many choices. Great experience and if you have never done it - try it. We liked it so much we booked for another.
Lots of things to do onboard and yes I did the slide - three times no less. Fun

So 15 days later we are back home with many good memories and a lot less money. Good old Canadian dollar and our US Visa account are going to be fun next week when that lands - not. Oh well - that's life, Here is link to pix. Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/IncoChief/Cruise2008?authkey=RRxQjiz8enA#

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Mediterranean Cruising
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:39:43 am »
Nice would like to here more about the cruise  ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:14:39 am »
GOOD STUFF Inco....................tho't they'd have torn down those olde buildings by NOW..................... :P.........................brings back 20 odd year ago memories,,,,,by Land and Camper Van..... :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

vdk

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:10:13 pm »
bella italia.. :)

gorgeous pics  :thumbup:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:35:05 pm »
Welcome back Inco and thanks for posting the pics!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:01:30 pm »
Welcome back, Inco.  Come state? 

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:04:59 am »
Great pics! Looks like you had some nice weather, too.

My wife and I visited Venice, Florence and Rome in November '05. We were a little worried about getting decent weather, but it turned out OK. Having Venice to ourselves (well, almost) was worth a few chilly days. I hear it's just stupid-crowded there in the summer.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:56:55 am »
Also a lot less kids
A friend went in September, ship has like 3000 passengers, they said 1/3 were kids in July and only a hand full in September

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 07:59:18 am »
 ::) "stupid crowded"....yeah those Winter Gondo-thingies are less crowded............ :P  I see Venice I see France i see pasta fazool in yer..............

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:01:27 pm »
What ship were you on?  What did you think of the food, service, and the overall on board experience?
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:17 am »
We sailed on the Carnival Freedom which went into service last year. Nice boat - er ship. It has all of the latest toys inclding a monster screen for watching movies out on the deck by the pool. Neat experience - on those warm nights.

Twelve decks. We were on the bottom 'the aqarium view" is what the other half said. It was an oceanview room on the Riviera deck in the pictures and was quite nice and big enough.

I don't think I could ever go for the inside closets. Not knowing if it's day, or night, or seeing what's going on outside would really bother me. You have no sense of anything and when the lights go out - eeerie. Nice rooms but I would go crazy cooped up there. Early morning dockings were fun to watch and I'd miss that.

Service wasn't without problems, but nothing to get upset about. Food was good with lots of variety and with several food stations scattered around the ship you could have just about anything - Thai, Sushi, Fish & chips, Mexican, Deli, Burgers, Pizza - seven of them, four buffets and then two dining rooms and one supper club (extra cost but supposedly very good). Some days - sea days they had special themes featuring different countries and of course they had one day devoted to desserts - chocolate of course. And the Carnival feature desert is what they call "Warm Chocolate Melting Cake". This isn't just good - its wickedly good and you will never have just one. Served with vanilla ice cream ....mmmmn my mouth is watering and the BGM beside me is shaking.

Yup, we enjoyed it. Well organized from start to finish and it was sad to leave. Met many great people and being as shy as I am meant we were very low profile - not. We're hooked. ::)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:11:58 am by inco »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 05:14:55 pm »
were the drinks pricey ?
Did you do most ship sponsor tours?

barrie1

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »
I agree with thank you for showing them Inco and I wish I had been with you  as that looked to be a great time. Glad it was for you.  :)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 11:21:09 am »
were the drinks pricey ?
Did you do most ship sponsor tours?

Not too bad - but with 15% automatically added to each bill it did add up. Everything on the ship was in US dollars so a beer was less than $5 and cocktails around $5-$6.

Ship's tours were much more expensive. I arranged for three tours and had people join us and we had much more fun compared to the bus people - so we were told. You have the flexibility, lower prices and the fear that the ship could leave without you if your late! What fun. :rofl2:

Arranging the tours was very easy and getting people join wasn't difficult and of the three I arranged we only had one couple not show up. She was sick and the husband still chipped in to cover the cost.