Author Topic: Which subwoofer is better  (Read 21424 times)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Which subwoofer is better
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 08:08:40 am »
Well it finally arrived. Over 2 weeks on a truck from BC to TO and then onto another truck to sit in the depot over Thanksgiving. The crate was huge and theguy had to use a pallet jack to get it off. I ended up slipping him $20 to help me uncrate it and move it downstairs becuase it weight about 150lbs.

My wife said. What is THAT?! Its a good thing its going in your room becuase that big black ugly tube (BUT) is not going anywhere in my sight. Funny you cvannot really see it in the corner in the shadows next to the dark curtains. It just looks like a shadfow and you can't see it at all in the dark (no lights on front or reflections from the finiosh like the old sub). It is huge. It cimes up to my chin.

15 inch driver and 1300 w amp. I haven't played much with it yet. Plugged in disabled the crossover, set the levels with my sound meter manually (about 2db hot) I did not have chance to run Audessy setup on it yet. Plunked in the Pod Race scene from Pahtom menance and went. "Ohh that sound wasn't there before". There is all kinds of bass that I didn't know existed before. When the pods go by my old sub which I thought was good made it dound kind of flappy. his thing sounds like a V8 after having a 4. Its loafing at 10db below reference. Tried a little Black Hawk Down and you chopper rotors had a real sense of weight.

I'll post more after I have chance to try out the port tuning and do more setup.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1919820&l=afbcf&id=655446354

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 08:24:58 am »
Congrats.  That pod race scene is something else -- makes the neighbours leave their house ;)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 08:36:50 am »
Are you going to do a drywall nail popping test ?   many tests available... I'd use the avalanche scene followed by the Balrog attack from LOTR
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 08:38:22 am »
LOTR was the most intense bass I ever encountered.  My neighbours said their water pipes were rattling and the driveway vibrating they didn't know what was going on.  They said they knocked but figured I wasn't home -- they had no idea it was coming from my basement.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 09:14:03 am »
Congrats on your new baby monster. Too bad you live so far away as I'd love to come over for a listen.

Drop in War of the Worlds for some nice 5Hz lightning bolts.  ;D

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 11:23:59 am »
Pod race scence is OK but now that I have an HD DVD and PS3 I really prefer lossless audio tracks for the real demo show off stuff.

I have LOTR and WOTW on DVD and will certainly try them. The irene scen in Blackhawk down has stuff down to 5hz which you can't hear just feel. I'm waiting to see a decent deal on Master and Commander in BR which has lots of fantastic cannon bass (and IO like the movie) Iron Man, Hul are two others I am waiting for. I really need to get the house to myself for a bit. I have mission impossible 3 on HD DVD and the bridge scene where the missile hits was a real treat even with my old sub so I'm anxious to try it.

I'll have to try some music out too I guess :-)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 11:42:11 am »
We just watched Ironman on BD over the weekend. We liked the movie (both picture and sound) but I'm not so sure my neighbors enjoyed the excessive amount of bass in this movie. Had the couch vibrating a few times and we can't turn ours up to reference levels so I can only imagine how it will be for you.

Isn't it great when you get a new toy....makes you want to watch so many movies all over again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
Music.... by which you mean the stuff done with real acoustic instruments   I hope.

Obviously  the first few minutes of Also Sprach Zarathustra,   1812 Overture ( the old Telarc vinyl from the 70's)
the fight between Fafner and Fasolt in Das Rheingold from the Solti Ring. There are(were)  a few big pipe organs with a 32 Hz fundamental pipe but I don't know if any music that used that pipe ever were recorded.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 11:53:33 am »
..PIPE DOWN U LOT..............Bridge can ya move this to the NOISY NEIGHBOURS thread............. ::) :P........i likes my SUB wif all tha fixings....socially irresponsible buncha ...Mumble...mumble.......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

ghost

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 11:59:05 am »
A good sub should not be boomy and out power your other speakers. It is supposed to be a supplement to the entire audio experience. Any subs that are pounding so hard as to lend itself more attention imho = bad tuning. Then again it's all preference. Just like some people are fixated on torque and hp.
Having said that Transformers and LOTR (that ring dropping sequence) is very good at reference levels. Too bad our home has too many stuff hung on the walls.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 09:36:31 am »
toolatecrew -- Any updates on how you are liking the sub? Have you watched Kung Fu Panda or The Incredible Hulk yet? 

KFP has some great scenes (nothing super deep) and the final fight sequence, very cool!

TIH is well.....loud.

I'm still :heart: my SVS.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 09:43:40 am »
I watched Kung Fu Panda on the weekend and my sub was a little on the hot side.  I rattled a few light bulbs loose haha.

I retuned my system last night much cleaner and installed some new bipole/dipole surrounds!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:34 am »
I watched Kung Fu Panda on the weekend and my sub was a little on the hot side.  I rattled a few light bulbs loose haha.

I retuned my system last night much cleaner and installed some new bipole/dipole surrounds!

Didn't you just love the 'Oogway finger hold' at the end. WOW!

What did you get for surrounds?

I'm waiting for some deals on Paradigm Studios 60's + center (I think it will fit in my stand).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2008, 10:50:51 am »
It was a little too hot like I said so yeah .. hahaha, something like 100db (I turned it up for rock band at one point).  I should check that scene again.

I got ADP-570's for surrounds to replace my studio 40's.  They are much less localized  and enveloping, at my old place the 40's were great because I was able to mount them high on the walls, but at my new place they were on stands behind me and they didn't perform well for surround.  Although they did work amazing for 5.1 audio recording but I never listen to that stuff anyways.

With the ADPs I was able to wall mount them up high and I was blown away again!  I watched the opening scene for Saving Private Ryan and I ended up watching for an hour when I meant to only watch for 5 min.