Author Topic: Car seat for a Mazda3  (Read 10171 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Car seat for a Mazda3
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:50:56 am »
I'm looking to buy a car seat to install in my Mazda3 and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a brand/model that would fit properly.

It's not that I don't know that there are tones of options out there, but my concern is the tight space and the seat back angle.

In my other car (Outlander) I have a Deluxe Eddie Bauer which I think is too big for my Mazda3. In the Outlander the rear seat reclines and slides so I have room to play when adjusting and there is plenty of room there. Not so much in Mazda.

So I need a car seat that is good quality (safe, comfortable) without being too big.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

UmroAyyar

Re: Car seat for a Mazda3
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:08:20 am »

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000PY7I9C?searsBrand=core

When my son grew out of his rear-facing infant seat.

We bought this when we had our 2002 Corolla, no issues with space, installation.

Check this list of car seats. http://www.coventrypd.org/2006%20Child%20Safety%20Seat%20Ease%20of%20Use%20Ratings.htm

NHTSA's website is down for maintenance, they have treasure trove of information there.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:11:33 am by UmroAyyar »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:57:25 am »
I'm looking to buy a car seat to install in my Mazda3 and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a brand/model that would fit properly.

It's not that I don't know that there are tones of options out there, but my concern is the tight space and the seat back angle.

In my other car (Outlander) I have a Deluxe Eddie Bauer which I think is too big for my Mazda3. In the Outlander the rear seat reclines and slides so I have room to play when adjusting and there is plenty of room there. Not so much in Mazda.

So I need a car seat that is good quality (safe, comfortable) without being too big.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have had luck with Cosco Alpha Omegas. With the adjustable base removed they take up less space than the fancy schmnancy Radian car seats.

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:17:17 pm »

I have had luck with Cosco Alpha Omegas. With the adjustable base removed they take up less space than the fancy schmnancy Radian car seats.

I also have an Alpha Omega but I don't find them very good car seats. They're heavy and bulky and I find installation to be more difficult than it should be. But the price is great. Maybe all you'll need as a secondary car seat that gets less use. http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299920&whse=BCCA&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-CA

I also have the very similar Alpha Omega Elite. Very similar except you can adjust the should harness height without removing the car seat.
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2853020&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Cosco

I don't own one but I hear great things about the Britax Marathon Car seats. Put it's priced quite a bit higher. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2688380&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Britax

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:46:17 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions. In the meantime I was doing some research on the topic with focus on safety.
Since I'm looking at something convertible to a booster, I ended up reading an article from IIHS (iihs.org) and it seems like a lot of booster seats on the market are "not-recommended" - I guess the 3-in-1 Deluxe Eddie Bauer (by Cosco), also not listed explicitly, might be one of them. I may even end up getting rid of it when the time to convert to booster comes.
The enlightening article (for me at least) is here: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr100108.html

Anyway, putting the safety as the highest priority now, it seems like the Britax Frontier ($300 CAD MSRP) might be the best bet for now. I only hope it fits well in the car. The car seat's backrest reclines and it doesn't seem to be as bulky. Does anyone have this mode? It's new on the Canadian market (launched July 2008).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:55:09 pm »

I also have an Alpha Omega but I don't find them very good car seats. They're heavy and bulky and I find installation to be more difficult than it should be. But the price is great. Maybe all you'll need as a secondary car seat that gets less use. http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299920&whse=BCCA&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-CA

I also have the very similar Alpha Omega Elite. Very similar except you can adjust the should harness height without removing the car seat.
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2853020&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Cosco

I don't own one but I hear great things about the Britax Marathon Car seats. Put it's priced quite a bit higher. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2688380&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Britax

I got the first one and the second one. As I said you can cut the bulkiness down a ton by removing the base. Almost makes the seat reasonable.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 12:59:13 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions. In the meantime I was doing some research on the topic with focus on safety.
Since I'm looking at something convertible to a booster, I ended up reading an article from IIHS (iihs.org) and it seems like a lot of booster seats on the market are "not-recommended" - I guess the 3-in-1 Deluxe Eddie Bauer (by Cosco), also not listed explicitly, might be one of them. I may even end up getting rid of it when the time to convert to booster comes.
The enlightening article (for me at least) is here: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr100108.html

Anyway, putting the safety as the highest priority now, it seems like the Britax Frontier ($300 CAD MSRP) might be the best bet for now. I only hope it fits well in the car. The car seat's backrest reclines and it doesn't seem to be as bulky. Does anyone have this mode? It's new on the Canadian market (launched July 2008).

If safety is the highest priority shouldn't you ditch the Mazda 3?

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=304

vdk

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 01:20:22 pm »
07+ got 4 additional airbags, maybe he has one of those :)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 01:41:32 pm »
07+ got 4 additional airbags, maybe he has one of those :)

OK. I was surprised it was rated poor but that was without all the extra airbags. I think as long as the childseat passes then safety ratings are splitting hairs.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:15 pm »

If safety is the highest priority shouldn't you ditch the Mazda 3?

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=304

Not exactly. I should not be driving, riding in a vehicle, walk or stand nearby a public road.  ;)

EDIT: And even if I would dich the Mazda3, I would keep the car seat and it would still have to be the best I could buy.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:22:37 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:57:53 pm »
I have a '05 so only front airbags. It bothers me somehow, but not enough to ditch the car.
However, trying to mitigate some risks by buying the safest car seat I can buy today, it’s a small price to pay and this is exactly what I'm doing.

On the same note, eventually, I was thinking to ditch the car seat I have (Eddie Bauer) for a better one (e.g. Britax Frontier).

One other reason to have a safe, good car seat is a car accident where the airbags don't deploy or there is no major structural impact on the car, but the impact on a toddler could be significant.

I always pay attention when I strap my daughter in the car seat in order to do it correctly (as recommended), periodically check the fit on the car seat itself (the belts may get loose over time), etc...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:05:46 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 02:44:21 pm »
Who needs cars seats, we did not even have seat belts when I was growing up
 just do not get into an accidents and everyone will be fine;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 03:11:56 pm »
I have a '05 so only front airbags. It bothers me somehow, but not enough to ditch the car.
However, trying to mitigate some risks by buying the safest car seat I can buy today, it’s a small price to pay and this is exactly what I'm doing.

On the same note, eventually, I was thinking to ditch the car seat I have (Eddie Bauer) for a better one (e.g. Britax Frontier).

One other reason to have a safe, good car seat is a car accident where the airbags don't deploy or there is no major structural impact on the car, but the impact on a toddler could be significant.

I always pay attention when I strap my daughter in the car seat in order to do it correctly (as recommended), periodically check the fit on the car seat itself (the belts may get loose over time), etc...

Fair enough. I guess the Britax has SIP (side impact protection)?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:39 pm »

Fair enough. I guess the Britax has SIP (side impact protection)?

Actually it has what Britax calls "True Side Impact Protection" which is more comprehensive than the "Side Impact Protection".

http://www.britaxusa.com/side-impact-protection/degrees-protection.aspx