Author Topic: Today, Take a Pittance of Time  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Today, Take a Pittance of Time
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:59:40 am »
This played on the radio this morning.  It always moves me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg

"On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a Shoppers Drug Mart store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the store's PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the store's leadership role in adopting the Legion's "two minutes of silence" initiative. He felt that the store's contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven o'clock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the "two minutes of silence" to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terry's anger towards the father for trying to engage the store's clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was later channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, "A Pittance of Time". Terry later recorded "A Pittance of Time" and included it on his full-length music CD, "The Power of the Dream"."

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Today, Take a Pittance of Time
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:46:45 am »
Almost nothing is open in NB today. If our local Shoppers are open I suspect (hope) it's 12 noon on.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:51:54 am »

In Flanders fields the poppies blow,
          Between the crosses,row on row,
          That mark our place;and in the sky,
          The larks,still bravely singing,fly,
           Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead,short days ago
            We lived,felt dawn,saw sunset glow,
           Loved and were loved,and now we lie,
           In Flanders fields.

Take up your quarrel with the foe,
            To you,from failing hands we throw,
            The torch,be yours to hold it high,
           If you break with us who die ,
           We shall not sleep,though poppies grow,
            In Flanders fields................................

Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:18:27 pm »
Bless them all.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:28:48 pm »
My father was given a diary written by his uncle, who died of his wounds in France in Oct 1916.  It's fascinating reading.  The off-handed comments like, 'quiet evening, aside from the constant shelling'...it must have been horrendous, yet it became mundane picking up the dead and the wounded.  For example:

Sept 4th 1916
About 4 o'clock in the morning Bryson took 9 and 10 platoons up to the front to dig in across the open. He gets 9 to work all right. But it is breaking day when 10 gets up, and they have to go out in shell holes in front in the daylight, and have a large number of casualties. Cpl Rodgers is wounded. Cpl Miller and Mathews killed. Before this Sgt Fraser had been wounded. A shell burst in the midst of the platoon when going thru the quarry. Fowlie, [Paul?], and Collier are missing and I feel sure they were killed here. I remain in Park [Lane?] all day. Sergeant Marriott is killed and I'll have about eleven other casualties. In the afternoon I got orders from Major Peterman to have both platoons ready to march off at dusk. Later I get further orders to take No. 11 up to join [Mr B....] at dusk. Do so. Find where No. 9 platoon is without a guide and start No. 11 digging in line with them, as directed by Sergeant Finch with whom Bryson had left instructions. Then Mr. Bryson comes along and we collect the remnants of No. 10 out of the shell holes and start them digging on the left of No. 11, thus getting a complete line across. Unfortunately Fritz begins shelling us and we have part of the line cleared out. Sergeant Crowe is killed, also Pte. Hooper. Cpl MacLeod is wounded. And the two Hill boys both go out with shell shock...

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

vdk

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »
RIP Grandfather

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:51:02 pm »
We all owe them a huge debt that can never be paid - so they must never be forgotten.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:55:44 pm »
My maternal grandfather was with the Irish Regiment of Canada during the Second World War.  A great grandfather on my father's side enlisted in 1917.  I believe he was with the Hasty Pees.  Luckily both survived to see their families once again.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:35:03 pm »
That's very touching indeed, moved me.

Thanks.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."