Author Topic: Have you seen an increase in door-to-door solicitation?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Have you seen an increase in door-to-door solicitation?
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:18:15 pm »
 Since the no-call list was started, we've seen an order of magnitude increase in the number of people knocking on our door looking for money. They're driving us nuts - in just the last week we've had World Vision, Big Brothers, CrimeStoppers and a bunch of assorted gas retailers in addition to the usual kids raising money for this or that selling chocolates. They always show up at the same time, when we're sitting down to supper.  :thumbdown: I'm going to put up a No Solicitors sign, but these people are so pushy they'll probably ignore it. >:D

Maybe we should push for a Stay The Hell Away From My House list.  >:(

Has anyone else noticed this? How do you deal with door-to-door solicitation? I'm finding it more and more difficult to remain civil.

' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Have you seen an increase in door-to-door solicitation?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:23:15 pm »
HELLO SAILOR................... :-* :-* :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:28:31 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:55:12 pm »

Last weekend a kid came up to the door and rang the bell. I saw him & he saw me too as I was walking past the door, carrying the vacuum cleaner up the stairs. I thought I'd finish bringing it up and then I'll go see what he wants. Not 10 seconds had passed when I got back to the door and he had moved on. So, here’s an idea: Let them know that you're home and that you're not interested in opening the door & they move on...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 02:01:56 pm »
I have a no solicitors sign posted by the front door.  It works for most, but not all.  I suspect some are unaware of the meaning of 'solicitor'. 

I need one of these doormats...

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:17:52 pm »

Last weekend a kid came up to the door and rang the bell. I saw him & he saw me too as I was walking past the door, carrying the vacuum cleaner up the stairs. I thought I'd finish bringing it up and then I'll go see what he wants. Not 10 seconds had passed when I got back to the door and he had moved on. So, here’s an idea: Let them know that you're home and that you're not interested in opening the door & they move on...

Yeah, but that won't stop the next one, and the next one....Some of them will stand there ring that @#*damned doorbell over and over before they realize nobody's gonna answer. By that time, I'm ready to kill... >:D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:29:04 pm »
You need a glass door.  Then you can just stand on the other side and wave until they go away...  :D

Or you could try giving them a taste of their own medicine;)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:46 pm »

:rofl2:

I bought one of those for my dad as a gag Christmas gift a few years back. He could be a crusty old guy at times, so I thought he'd get a chuckle out of it. I never thought he'd actually put it at the front door though! He kept it there for a couple of years, but I never did ask him if it worked.

Haven't noticed any increase in peddlers around here recently. Mostly we just get the usual suspects: Jehova's Witnesses, gas-contract salesmen, and kids selling chocolate bars for school fundraisers.

Sometimes we get shady-looking kids pretending to be raising money for some vague cause, but when pressed for details, it seems they're just trying to make a buck for themselves. Maybe I'm just turning into a crusty old guy, too, but I suspect there's some kind of shady door-to-door sales operation out there that recruits kids to exploit people's generosity/gullibility.  >:(

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:34:17 pm »
99% of the time when I home I am within reach of a computer -- so I think i'm going to get one of those wireless IP cameras and just ignore doorbells.  I can't be seen from my living room anyways.† :)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »

:rofl2:

I bought one of those for my dad as a gag Christmas gift a few years back. He could be a crusty old guy at times, so I thought he'd get a chuckle out of it. I never thought he'd actually put it at the front door though! He kept it there for a couple of years, but I never did ask him if it worked.

Haven't noticed any increase in peddlers around here recently. Mostly we just get the usual suspects: Jehova's Witnesses, gas-contract salesmen, and kids selling chocolate bars for school fundraisers.

Sometimes we get shady-looking kids pretending to be raising money for some vague cause, but when pressed for details, it seems they're just trying to make a buck for themselves. Maybe I'm just turning into a crusty old guy, too, but I suspect there's some kind of shady door-to-door sales operation out there that recruits kids to exploit people's generosity/gullibility.  >:(

I must be a crusty young guy, 'cause I'm tempted to buy one.

The gas salesmen are some of the pushiest.  My wife had to report one such 'salesman' for his aggressive manner.  Wanna look at my gas bill?  Fack off!

And I do suspect you're right regarding shady sales operations.  I once asked a woman soliciting funds for a supposed charity where she was from, and she replied that she was from a city 140 kms away!

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 02:51:42 pm »
I must be a crusty young guy, 'cause I'm tempted to buy one.

The gas salesmen are some of the pushiest.  My wife had to report one such 'salesman' for his aggressive manner.  Wanna look at my gas bill?  Fack off!

And I do suspect you're right regarding shady sales operations.  I once asked a woman soliciting funds for a supposed charity where she was from, and she replied that she was from a city 140 kms away!

For gas salemsen:  Tell them you've already got gas, fart to prove it, then shut the door.

That lady must be soliciting for the "People who are forced to live far away" charity. :rofl2: :rofl2:  Unfortunately, there is no right answer.  Give money and they'll move closer and bug you daily.  Don't give and they'll keep you on their list, "just in case". :rofl: :rofl:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:49:32 pm »
I usually get asked if my parents are home.  I say no and they go away. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 06:57:51 pm »
We get very few solicitors here. My theory is that a woman who lives across the street is in fact a vampire and gets them all into her house and kills them so they don't bother the rest of the street.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »
.... :rofl:  does she HOLD ONTA THA BARRISTERS....fer snack time.........as she ascends the stairs..... :rofl: :rofl2:

barrie1

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
My Grandfather would open the door to all of the Jehova Witness's, speak Welsh to them and insult the hell out of them to their faces while he smiled the whole time. My Mother would be on the floor almost crying from laughter as she fully understood the old language. After a coupla minutes of this he would just close the door in their faces and leave them wondering what was up. All they hear inside was all of us laughing of course.  :)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 10:09:59 am »
In my experience, the best thing to do with Jehova's Witnesses is to be truthful and state that you are not interested in learning about their beliefs.  If you avoid them or accept a copy of their Watchtower magazine, they will keep coming to visit.  Be polite and truthful, and they will likely leave you in peace.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 10:19:38 am »
In my experience, the best thing to do with Jehova's Witnesses is to be truthful and state that you are not interested in learning about their beliefs.  If you avoid them or accept a copy of their Watchtower magazine, they will keep coming to visit.  Be polite and truthful, and they will likely leave you in peace.

Well there were quite a few repeated visits by people of different denominations. My wife asked them to visit over the weekend, had a brief frank chat with them, appreciate their approach but not interested.

You are right, it works, almost about everything. Dealing with a situation helps more than avoiding it.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 11:56:59 am »
^^^^ I guess our Jehovah's Witnesses are more persistent than yours. I've tried that approach but it only works for a while, 6 months or so if we're lucky. Then they're right at it again and just as pushy as ever.

If I could, I'd play this clip for everyone who thinks they have a right to shove their religious beliefs down my throat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwJQIdQ7CXU

I don't intend this to be offensive to people who keep their religions to themselves, but it sums up perfectly how I feel.

barrie1

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46:10 pm »
WE have 4 different schools behind my home so we are used to having the kids come about 3 times a year only. We don't really see that many kids or salesfolks at the door at all as we do have signs up that state NO Peddlars allowed and they seem to respect it.  :)