Author Topic: 80% off is awesome!  (Read 10084 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: 80% off is awesome!
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 09:38:08 pm »
Even if this was bought @ 80% off, still a waste of money ...

I have been looking for info on this painting forever!  I could not remember the name of it -- thanks!

Is there an intersting story related to why u is looking for this painting?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 09:42:27 pm »
You need to see the documentary called "My Kid Could Paint That"   Interesting.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 10:30:44 pm »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

dorin

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 10:33:06 pm »

Bob, I can paint it for $300 + material, much less than the $1.76M purchase price in 1989. A lot negative publicity at the time about the acquisition of it with tax payer's money. Think it is called Voice of Fire, kinda look like a giant flag, IMO.

::)  ::)  Given that the Voice of Fire is now worth something like $11M, the National Gallery did a great job acquiring it.  It was also done for Expo '67 so it actually has historical significance and relevance to Canada.  It's awesome how people who don't understand the context of art are always so quick to condemn it.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
Given that the Voice of Fire is now worth something like $11M, the National Gallery did a great job acquiring it.

Unless they just sold it for $11M the value is only estimated. Until it has been sold (if they ever would) the true value for this will always be unknown.

dorin

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 10:48:35 pm »
Given that the Voice of Fire is now worth something like $11M, the National Gallery did a great job acquiring it.

Unless they just sold it for $11M the value is only estimated. Until it has been sold (if they ever would) the true value for this will always be unknown.

Agreed, it's no different than stocks.  Still, appraised value is an indicator of value and in this case the indication is that it was a good buy in addition to being a representative work with special meaning to Canada.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:42 am »

Bob, I can paint it for $300 + material, much less than the $1.76M purchase price in 1989. A lot negative publicity at the time about the acquisition of it with tax payer's money. Think it is called Voice of Fire, kinda look like a giant flag, IMO.

::)  ::)  Given that the Voice of Fire is now worth something like $11M, the National Gallery did a great job acquiring it.  It was also done for Expo '67 so it actually has historical significance and relevance to Canada.  It's awesome how people who don't understand the context of art are always so quick to condemn it.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So? As a tax payer, I can express my opinion, espiecially it was bought with tax dollar. Regardless how much it it is worth today, still no like it.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 01:53:30 am »
As a tax payer you get the right to pay your tax dollars, and vote. That's it. Just remember to do both.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 11:32:54 am »
In the world of art, you can like something that is not expensive, and vice-versa.

Price has little to nothing to do with what you like or dislike.

Of course, black velvet paintings are not included in this discussion.... ;) ;) :rofl:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 11:58:05 am »
..Jesus ! Elvis.........WHY NOT........................they give me as much pleasure as the Ottawa thingie I'd never seen OR heard about before..............last time i was there the central Pic was of some guy onna chaise longue with his schlong hanging out......Now that is ART or was it FRED.... :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

barrie1

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 10:06:05 pm »
I think the buying price was ridiculous for the Voice of Fire altho its named correctly. As a Taxpayer i think we were burnt quite badly by the cost and quality of this painting no-matter how much anyone thinks its worth. The money could have beter spent for so many other things that the public needs 1st. >:(

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »
GOOD ARTISTS being #1........................ ;D