Author Topic: 09 Focus & Escape - random thoughts  (Read 1935 times)

stodge

09 Focus & Escape - random thoughts
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:34:20 pm »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:30:49 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

smok

Re: 09 Focus & Escape - random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:23 am »
The 09 Focus and Escape are not bad, but I think they are about 5 years behind the good competition.

I agree with the cheap and confusing dash layout of the Escape. The dash looks like it's made of 30 different pieces and has no continuity.  The Focus is ok, but it's the same 2000 model with extra sound insulation.  If they changed the front end of the focus, it might look more appealing. 

But remember, these are cheap cars.  The MSRP is a suggestion no one pays.  You should get at least $2k off a focus and $5k off an Escape.  But even with that,  for the life of the vehicle, you have to worry about low resale value, long term quality and so on...

360ci

Re: 09 Focus & Escape - random thoughts
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:54:37 pm »
I had an '09 XLT 2wd Escape as a loaner for two days while my '99 Taurus was in the shop for a few reg maintenance items. The 3.0L with the 6 speed auto is a definite improvement over the outgoing driveline. It's a good power to weight ratio but lacks in torque when loaded with four adults and no gear. I won't even look at the new Focus as I believe it's ugly - especially the back.

Also, Mazda gets their engines from Ford (ie 2.0/2.3/3.0/3.5/3.7/4.0L). Mazda tunes these engines to their own specs so they can say that it's a "mazda engine" when in fact, it's a Ford design. Mazda tuning is always a good thing, but also note that mazda tunes their vehicles for more HP than torque. As a relaxed city cruiser the Focus is the car to have. For a quick runabout that handles the Mazda3 is the car to have, and offers less space.

One thing that did bother me about the Escape, was how hard it would be to upgrade the stereo as its integrated into the large center dash!