Author Topic: Campaign sign attached to road sign  (Read 1519 times)

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
Campaign sign attached to road sign
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:59:46 pm »
Is it legal for an election campaign sign to be attached to the same pole which is holding up a stop sign or other road signs?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign sign attached to road sign
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:12:50 pm »
Old but probably still relevant.

ELECTIONS CANADA CLARIFIES RULES FOR CAMPAIGN SIGNS

(OTTAWA, March 17, 1998) – The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Mr. Jean-Pierre Kingsley, today clarified the rules regarding campaign signs under the Canada Elections Act.

Section 262 of the Act states that it is an offence to take down, remove, cover up, mutilate, deface or alter any printed advertisement, placard, poster or banner having reference to the election of a candidate without authority.

"Complaints or allegations of wrongdoing regarding this or any other section of the Act should be reported in writing to the Commissioner of Canada Elections in Ottawa, who is responsible for ensuring that the Act is complied with and enforced," said Mr. Kingsley.

"Where candidates or political parties wish to place campaign signs on private property, they should obtain the consent of the owner of the property," he noted. "Tenants and condominium owners should check the terms of their lease or purchase agreement, which may preclude them from posting campaign signs."

With regard to signs on public property, Mr. Kingsley urged candidates and political parties to consult with the municipality in which they intend to place signs to ensure that local requirements are respected. On September 2, 1993, the Supreme Court, in The Corporation of the City of Peterborough v. Kenneth Ramsden, held that a municipal by-law which prohibited all signs on public property was unconstitutional as it infringed on freedom of expression. The Court declared that signs on some public property is protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

In the same vein, candidates and parties wanting to place signs on public property belonging to the federal or provincial Crown should contact the government department or agency which administers the property to ascertain the rules and limits concerning campaign signs.

"Essentially, it is the responsibility of the candidate, the political party or their agents to establish their right to place a campaign signs on any property," said Mr. Kingsley.

Elections Canada is the non-partisan agency responsible for the conduct of federal elections and referendums.

Contact: John Enright at 1-800-267-7360 or at (613) 993-2224 or by fax at (613) 954-8584 or TTY/TDD at 1-800-361-8935. You may also contact Elections Canada by e-mail or visit our Web site at http://www.elections.ca

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:23:40 pm »
You can complain to the town or city if the signs aren't removed after the election.  The city can remove them and send the bill to the candidate or party. 

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:55:49 am »
There should be a law stating that it is illegal to put up campaign signs by the side of the road as it make the city look f******g ugly.  >:(

Especially as they don't take them down after the election.

:iagree:  I read yesterday one of the parties put out a challenge for all of them to refrain from putting signs on public property.  I don't expect anyone to actually meet the challenge, but it's a nice thought. :)

In this day and age of environmentalism, I can't believe how many resources they waste on signs, though.   >:(

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:58:06 am »
There should be a law stating that it is illegal to put up campaign signs by the side of the road as it make the city look f******g ugly.  >:(

Especially as they don't take them down after the election.

Stodge are you in Kanata?  OMG the signs are ridiculous here!

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:52 pm »
I'm not sure the original poster's question was addressed fully.  Yes, there is a question of "property" but it occurs to me that there is also a question of safety.  Road signs are there for a reason.  It can be argued that anything that hinders visibility or distracts from the sign's originally intended purpose should not be allowed.

Is anybody aware of a city/region/province/country using that argument to control publicity signage of any kind?

EDIT:  I re-read the quoted bit of the Elections Act and it seems that my point above might be covered.  Still, I think the safety aspect deserves highlighting, given the purpose of road signs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:08:43 pm by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"