Author Topic: Canary in the Coal Mine  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Canary in the Coal Mine
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:02:51 pm »
A long time Chevy dealer in Vancouver is calling it quits.  But his Mazda dealership will be expanding.

Long article from the Vancouver Sun, Aug 16 Business Section.  The things that caught my attention:

-declining Chevy sales, and healthy Mazda sales.

-maybe tip of the iceberg for dealerships here in BC as profit margins are squeezed tighter by the manufactures.

-increasing quality has eaten into warranty and after sales service, an area that dealers used to be able to make lots of money at.
cars are too stinking good
  :D

-half the cars bought in BC are compact or sub-compact.  Us west Coast greenies know how to put our money where our mouth is I guess, unlike some others who like to talk but can't seem to do the walk   ;)

After 56 years, car dealership calls it quits
Wolfe Chevrolet plans to expand its healthy Mazda business

Fiona Anderson
Vancouver Sun

Friday, August 15, 2008

Dropping sales and the rising price of Vancouver real estate are causing a well-known Chevrolet car dealership to close its doors after more than half a century.

Wolfe Chevrolet at Boundary Road and 1st Avenue will put the brakes on its Chevrolet franchise at the end of the month after 56 years in business, its president and general manager Frank Wolfe said in an interview. The move will enable the company to sell some of its now-valuable real estate and expand its Mazda dealership next door.

Sales have been dropping and the building needs to be upgraded, Wolfe said.

"When I weigh the cost of spending money on the building versus what I could get by closing it and selling it, it makes more sense to close," Wolfe said.

While Chevrolet sales have been shrinking, Mazda sales have been healthy, Wolfe said.

Vancouver has always been an import market, with Asian buyers and "the Yaletown-type people," he said.

So about one acre of the 3.5 acres of the land now occupied by the Chevrolet dealership will go toward expanding the Mazda operations, which currently sit on 1.5 acres next door, he said. The enlarged Mazda dealership will also house the service centre and the company's car-leasing business.

Wolfe said his age may have also played a role.

"I'm 61 years old, kind of burnt out. I just don't know if I've got the energy to make it go any more," he said.

Glen Ringdal, the outgoing president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of B.C., expects more dealerships to close in the future, but not because of declining car sales.

Despite the dismal numbers in the United States, people are still buying cars in both Canada and British Columbia, Ringdal said  on Friday.

General Motors - which sells Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Buicks, Cadillacs and Hummers - still leads sales in the province "by a fair margin," he said.

Those sales are almost evenly split between trucks and cars. GM's Cavalier was the top-selling car in Canada for eight years.

The price of gas isn't to blame either.

"The truth is we have been pretty good here in British Columbia for a long time at buying small cars," Ringdal said. "Almost half the cars we buy are compact or subcompact."

That's especially true in the cities. Elsewhere in the province there are more trucks and larger vehicles, but "people drive trucks because they generally need them," he said.

"And nowadays, with the growth of hybrids into all sizes and shapes of vehicles, you don't have to drive a small vehicle to get efficiency," he said. "You can get it by changing technology."

What is hurting dealers is shrinking profit margins. In the last 10 years, profits have been squeezed by manufacturers who set both the retail and wholesale prices for vehicles, Ringdal said. So to keep profitable, dealers have to sell more and more cars, which requires more and more space to showcase them.

Money made from servicing vehicles has also dropped dramatically because of increased competition and better quality cars.

"Dealerships used to actually be able to make almost their bread, if not their bread and butter, out of warranty work," Ringdal said. "Well, they don't anymore because cars are too stinking good. They just don't break."

With the value of property increasing and profits decreasing, the return on investment just isn't there, he said.

So Ringdal expects to see more and more consolidation in the industry in the future.

Wolfe Chevrolet is just the canary in the coal mine, he said.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

gta_driver

Re: Canary in the Coal Mine
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »
This is actually a good thing for GM. I cannot speak for Chrysler or Ford but GM has too many dealers chasing few customers. Internally, I think we lose an average of 2 stores a week. Let the strongest survive.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:54:37 pm »
The problem for GM is that many urban buyers are import buyers. And when GM loses a downtown dealership they stand to lose quite a bit in a number of areas: repeat business, conquest sales (for if/when their brands are perceived stronger), and in brand exposure to trendy city dwellers. I would think this phenomenon is especially problematic for Cadillac, where a Chev/Cadillac store may relinquish the franchise and there's no Cadillac replacement nearby. Urban land is expensive and quite a few dealers must be contemplating selling, or moving out of the core if possible. It's something all manufacturers are keeping tabs on I'm sure.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:58:01 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:37:16 pm »
interesting Point Sir A.     When I used to commute, on the outbound trip I passed a Volvo dealer and a M-B retailer. When I came home   I would see BMW Toronto's sign in front of me for a km or so and then a small used car shop that specialized in euro imports.      At the work end, including trips to all the places we used to go to lunch I would not see any car dealers.

At one of our usual lunch spots, a Chinese strip mall, I'd be kept uptodate on exactly what the immigrants from H-K were driving that week just by looking around.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:30:57 pm »
This is actually a good thing for GM. I cannot speak for Chrysler or Ford but GM has too many dealers chasing few customers. Internally, I think we lose an average of 2 stores a week. Let the strongest survive.

SO true, between Port hope and Cobourg area (maybe 50,000 pop)  there are 4 GM dealers, 3 of them have new or upgrade buildings in the last 5 years.

Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »
Interesting. I used to take my Beretta there for service. They redid the service area about 10 years ago and improved their service from so-so to ok. The dealership is about 15-20 minutes away from downtown (on a good day)  and is on the very edge of Vancouver. The Mazda dealership is kinda tacked on the end of the property and seems cramped so the extra room for them can only help.

Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:18:11 am »

Wolfe Chevrolet is just the canary in the coal mine, he said.

:o I would just like to state for the record that the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. :D

Wolfe said his age may have also played a role.

"I'm 61 years old, kind of burnt out. I just don't know if I've got the energy to make it go any more," he said.

:fall: Poor guy, it must be hard work selling Yukahoes to those west coast greenies.