Author Topic: VW Golf Twin Drive. (113 MPG)  (Read 8403 times)

Cortina

Re: VW Golf Twin Drive. (113 MPG)
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 09:51:09 am »
When Honda and Toyota introduced gas ICE/electric hybrid cars, German automakers sneezed at them.  Instead they spent a lot of money in developing cleaner diesel ICE.  At that time the question was EITHER gas/electric hybrid OR diesel.  Now, after looking at the success of the Prius, they belatedly are trying to join the party.

One could just as easily say that the Japanese manufacturers are belatedly trying to join the diesel party with the upcoming diesel TSX and diesel Legacy.  Germans have been selling diesel passenger cars here for years.  Japanese have been selling hybrids here for years.  Now, both countries are exploring the other option.  But that doesn't mean either country is "behind the curve" or "trying to join the party."

But. The Japanese manufacturers  have been selling diesels in the rest of the world for years.The Germans have not be selling Hybrids anywhere.

I think diesel have always been better than a petrol hybrids. Diesel have a much smaller carbon footprint than the Prius. I think now that you throw a diesel hybrid into the mix I think that will change things. As long you not informed at how much environmental damage is caused by a hybrid, before the car even hits the road. You can be nieve in the knowledge that your doing your bit for the planet IMO.   :)

APSCORADIALES

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 02:53:04 pm »
"...First Hybrid diesel..."

Pfffft!
We'll never see it in Canada, so what's the use of getting all excited about its fuel efficiency.
VW will NEVER sell it in USA, and we in Canada just tag along for ride when it comes to models VAG sells up here.

We'll have to wait for the Honda or a Toyota version...

Mitlov

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:01 pm »
"...First Hybrid diesel..."

Pfffft!
We'll never see it in Canada, so what's the use of getting all excited about its fuel efficiency.
VW will NEVER sell it in USA, and we in Canada just tag along for ride when it comes to models VAG sells up here.

We'll have to wait for the Honda or a Toyota version...

Those are the same Honda and Toyota which still do not offer a single diesel model in North America?  If you're going to rag on VW for their model lineups in North America, Honda and Toyota certainly are not blame-free.

Speaking of firsts in the alternative power arena (and who is leading the way), it looks like the first mass-produced production hybrid with lithium-ion batteries is going to be...a Mercedes-Benz.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/25/spy-shots-2010-mercedes-benz-s-class-getting-updated/

Cortina

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 11:11:08 pm »
Those are the same Honda and Toyota which still do not offer a single diesel model in North America? 

Ummm I heard not sure where or when. Honda will starting selling Accord diesels sometime in 09.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 07:16:35 am »
Those are the same Honda and Toyota which still do not offer a single diesel model in North America? 

Ummm I heard not sure where or when. Honda will starting selling Accord diesels sometime in 09.

SA at the local Honda dealer have not heard anything about a diesel in Hondas

Cortina

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 09:41:49 am »

http://www.wnbc.com/news/15689481/detail.html <--A Quick Google.

Japan's Honda is also turning to diesels to round out its green offerings. Although the Accord is one of the best-selling models of all time, the hybrid version was a flop. It carried a relatively high price and delivered minor mileage gains compared with a gas-powered Accord. Honda killed the hybrid model last year. Its replacement, due out in 2009, will be an advanced diesel adapted from its European market. At the Detroit Auto Show, Honda announced it will also introduce a 2.2-liter, four-cylinder diesel version of the Acura TSX this year. The following year, Honda is expected to launch a six-cylinder clean diesel in its Acura TL and MDX models.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 03:27:15 pm »

http://www.wnbc.com/news/15689481/detail.html <--A Quick Google.

Japan's Honda is also turning to diesels to round out its green offerings. Although the Accord is one of the best-selling models of all time, the hybrid version was a flop. It carried a relatively high price and delivered minor mileage gains compared with a gas-powered Accord. Honda killed the hybrid model last year. Its replacement, due out in 2009, will be an advanced diesel adapted from its European market. At the Detroit Auto Show, Honda announced it will also introduce a 2.2-liter, four-cylinder diesel version of the Acura TSX this year. The following year, Honda is expected to launch a six-cylinder clean diesel in its Acura TL and MDX models.
Does it say anything about a diesel in a Honda model?
I will believe it when they are sitting on the lot

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 04:55:56 pm »
Don't work around the engine if you have a pacemaker?  ???

Exactly right.  Because of the excess current. 

Ok, then I'm in love, eheheheheh.

I don't understand why most car makers in america do not understand that the Diesel is the future, or at least makes part of it. Get a low displacement diesel engine, throw two turbos on it and voila, we have an engine with low fuel consumption and good amount of both torque and power (Ford, are you listening? Diesel Ecoboost please).

We feel the same here in Brazil, car makers are not allowed to produce cars with diesel engines on it, unless it is a pickup, SUV or something similar. While our neighbors in Argentina have all the cars we have, and more, with at least one diesel option...
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Cortina

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 07:13:03 pm »
Quote from: airbalancer
Does it say anything about a diesel in a Honda model?

The way I read it does.  :) :think:

Quote from: airbalancer
I will believe it when they are sitting on the lot

:iagree: To be honest, Honda has never had the best reputation for making a really good Diesel. It has always been Peugeots they are the best. follow by VW in a close 2nd. :)

APSCORADIALES

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 02:44:32 pm »
"...To be honest, Honda has never had the best reputation for making a really good Diesel. It has always been Peugeots they are the best. follow by VW in a close 2nd..."

Yes, Peugeot's diesels are excellent.
The new Euro spec Honda Accord is supposed to have a superb diesel motor according to European press (along with the VTEC).
I thought I read somewhere that Honda will bring that engine to North America pretty soon.