Author Topic: Driving with the windows down...  (Read 14041 times)

vdk

Re: Driving with the windows down...
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:17:20 pm »
just lock the back windows... :P

with the rear windows down I get alot of turbulence on the wabbit...

do you guys keep your windows down in rush hour traffic? i can't cause it smells...  >:(

gottarondo

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 07:32:31 pm »
I do miss those pop-out windows from my Saab 900 days.  We used to keep them open all summer (got some good spiderwebs in the car). And add the Rondo to the list of cars that does the tympani thing, in this case only if the back windows are down, not the front.  If your Sonata does this, the argument will be over pronto; no one can stand this.  Otherwise, could you seat both the ladies in the back or on the passenger side and allow them their windows down just a bit? 

The Rondo is my first AC car and I thought it was like a crime against humanity to run the AC with the windows open, so now I never open my windows even though I kind of like some air flow.  Even so, I can't stand vents in my face; and it's not the quality of air but the facial delivery that bothers me.  Perhaps you could increase her comfort with closed windows with different vent settings? 

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 01:42:52 am »
Txs for your comments everyone.  Getting a new Mrs Minou is definitely out of the question... Unless the issue gets out of hands!  ;D

Yeah, I do have a lot of turbulence and noise with the back windows down.  But that might do the trick.  At 110 clics on the highway, I'll open them to my unsuspecting passengers and ask how they like it and if they wish to endure this much noise all the way.

I too thinks completely illogical to run AC with the windows down. 

As gotak said, I too like quiet cars and the whole driving experience is ruined when the windows are open on the highway.

And I don't want my passengers to dictate in what kind of environment I'll be operating MY vehicle.  What I can offer is a quality environment with nicely controled temperature, humidity and noise level.  If they think they're suffocating or just unhappy, well, I guess they'll have to use another vehicle for themselves and drive anyway they wish.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 05:29:53 am »
I flip the sunroof and make a small crack in the RR window, noise is really low and the draft is nice, crank up the radio to good tunes and the commute is very pleasant.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 07:23:44 am »
My wife really likes it when we down the top ;D

gottarondo

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:45 am »
On the other hand, you get to have the car just as you like it whenever you don't have passengers.  It shouldn't kill you to compromise a bit for the pleasure of having them along - otherwise, what is the point of taking a joint trip?  I imagine that graciously ceding that at lower speeds they can open their windows a bit while the venting is set on just air (or very low AC), so that you can all be as comfortable as possible as opposed to you being happy and they being miserable, will get you the most possible points.  Unless you are trying to induce Mrs. Minou to trade you in, of course!

If you are getting just "noise and turbulence" with the back windows down, that isn't the effect I meant.  It has to do with interrupting the slipstream of an aerodynamic car, and it is like a drumming that alternately sucks and pounds your eardrums in and out.  I gather it happens to several models that have the same basic shape.

Leviathan

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:17 pm »
Bring some classical music along and explain that the only way to hear all the nuances is to have the winders up and idle flappin jaws - takes care of two problems  ;)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 12:15:22 am »
I always have my window down.  Even today, when it was raining - need to invest in some of those vent visors.  :/

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:45 am »
I always have my window down.  Even today, when it was raining - need to invest in some of those vent visors.  :/

How fast can one drive in Victoria?  :)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:57 am »
I found the 'aeroshape' of the new vehicles makes way too much noise at high speed. The wind noise of Old Box style vehicles is bearable.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 10:26:34 am »
I've noticed that the severity of buffeting and reverberation can be affected by the speed and direction of wind.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 11:19:11 am »
 Keep yer HEAD inside ya Olde Dogge U.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 03:34:27 pm »
I think new cars are designed to travel with the windows closed. With the P1800 I can have both windows cranked down and the butterfly's open. At 75 MPH I can still have a converation with a passenger without having to raise my voice. The VR and the Dakota sound like I am in the leading ede of a hurricane.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 11:25:38 am »
Here is a good reason to keep the windows closed.   I drove with the windows down yesterday and got a WASP hitchhiker along the way.  The bugger kept flying around the inside of the car.   It wouldn't leave until I pulled into the Princess Auto parking lot.  I guess it didn't like brake tool shopping or it knew I was planning to kill it. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 12:18:37 pm »
The new 'Rolla should have AC standard, 'cause it's the worst car in the world if you drive with the windows down.  It produces an unbearable drumming sound at any speed over about 30km/h.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 03:53:14 pm »
 ??? ::)DRUM_ROLLA... AC/DC................ :P.......Badda Bing ...Rim_shot.......

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 10:04:35 am »
The new 'Rolla should have AC standard, 'cause it's the worst car in the world if you drive with the windows down.  It produces an unbearable drumming sound at any speed over about 30km/h.

Wow, I did the test at 105-110 km/hr on the highway with Mrs Minou on board to show the point.  I lowered both back windows about 6 inches and she admitted the sound to be just about unbearable. :o

Fiou! ;D

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 11:05:38 am »
It's strange how you can drive down a street 1000 times, but when you finally get a chance to walk down that street (or bike it), it can feel strangely unfamiliar.

I find that windows down helps to reduce that "locked in a capsule" feeling.  I also hate using the A/C.  It slows the car down and drinks more gas.  When it's 30*C outside though...

mar1990

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 09:36:21 pm »

My 03 is like that.  Usually adjusting the rear window down gets rid of the reverberations. I may as well take advantage of those power windows...