Author Topic: Why Bankruptcy would spell disaster for Big Three’s sales  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Why Bankruptcy would spell disaster for Big Three’s sales
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 02:48:22 pm »
Same happened here with Rover, most people stayed well clear, but some were tempted by some ridiculously good bargains!  I was put off (not only 'cos it was a rover) by the lack of supply of body panels, you couldn't repair any of the newer cars as their was no stock.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 03:57:55 pm »
Same happened here with Rover, most people stayed well clear, but some were tempted by some ridiculously good bargains!  I was put off (not only 'cos it was a rover) by the lack of supply of body panels, you couldn't repair any of the newer cars as their was no stock.

This would be quite different were say Chrysler go into Bankruptcy.

There are millions of Chrysler vehicles in service out there.  You think some aftermarket parts manufacturers wouldn't jump at the chance to be the only supplier of Dodge Caravan body panels out there? All these outsourcing part companies that the unions hate so much would sudenlly florish. The big 3 have way to many vehicles out there thatwill need parts and service well into the future for someone NOT to be able to make a profit at it.

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 04:24:56 pm »
If I'm  not mistaken, Nissan was on the "verge" of Chapter 11 (or whatever it is called) and parrent company Rennault has also seen it's fair share of "money woes" in the past and both companies are still around and actually making money now.  So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that either Ford or G.M. could also "rise from the ashes.  IMO.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 04:57:42 pm »
I still find it amazing how many cars a company can sell and not make any money...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 05:01:33 pm »
 ::) the VOLUME allows them to sell at a LOSS.......... :rofl2: dontcha learns anyfing in Bean_counter skool?????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:54 pm »
I think many companies were on the "verge" of bankruptcy at one time or another in their history, but putting out good products along with other things helped them to get out of the hole. Without good products that people actually buy there is no chance they would ever bounce back regardless. This is what they lack right now and it seems like the trend will continue for another 2-3 years at least.

I don’t think the few new Cadillac or Buick models will save GM, as they are not volume sellers, but Chevy and even Saturn could. However, there is not much in store for them for the next 2 years other than a new Equinox, which it better be good or else....

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:43 pm »
Recovery from the verge of banckruptcy is much easier when the market you are in is on the upswing. Usually you need to inrease sales to climb out of the hole. That usally takes the form of stealing a bigger piece of the market from competiors. Unfortunatley the car/truck market is in decline right now due to fule prices. So you are forced to grab a bigger epeice of a smaller market to get where you need to go.

GM in particular will have a difficult time becuase they have so many divisions that they have higher overhead and the stong products supporting 9being dragged down by) weaker ones. The lifeboat is only so big and you can't save everyone.