Author Topic: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!  (Read 30247 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: CAW's Idea for Marketing GM Products - Remember Pearl Harbour!
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »
I would really like to see a reputable link that shows the Canada <-> Japan tariffs and duties on autos and their parts.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

gmgod

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:52 pm »
I would really like to see a reputable link that shows the Canada <-> Japan tariffs and duties on autos and their parts.

ME TOO!!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:59 pm »

ME TOO!!
You are hoping that it will prove your case, I am hoping that it will shut up the whole argument.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2008, 09:05:37 pm »
FWIW, they have never complained about the import taxes...it has always been "fair access" to the market.  As I said earlier...GMs aren't taxed any higher than cars coming from Germany or other countries...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

barrie1

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2008, 10:44:31 pm »
"PROVE IT" as thats total nonsence and those of us who have worked in this field KNOW it already. You are not a member of any union but know it all so prove it this time. You keep downgrading the Unions yet you never seem to offer any proof at all. You demand it from me when its in the local and International news on a weekly basis but you know better of course and deny it wether its correct or not. How many different industries have failed in this Country because of the imports, which come in duty free. Figure out just how trade we do with Japan or Korea on a yearly basis and see if its even remotely close at all.  We await your answer?  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2008, 11:13:19 pm »
Do you read your CAW papers??  That's where I get it from.  They almost NEVER, EVER complain about  import tariffs on those cars.  They complain that they don't have the same equal, fair access to the markets as the Koreans/Japanese/Imports do to our markets. (CAW sometimes refers to this as "unfair trade practices")  I mean...that's what YOU always complain about too...them "flooding" our market.  You never complain about tariffs or taxes.  Geez Barrie. At least try to keep your arguments consistent, if possible.  Just to indulge you, I went to the CAWs website, hrough their old newsletters.  I found this one, in 10 seconds. I'm sure there are many, many, many more, because, like I said, I get this from the CAW themselves.  So here's your proof.

CAW CONTACT Newsletter
May 23, 2008
Volume 38, No. 20

1) He (Ken Lewenza) acknowledged the terrible impact job loss is having on the City of Windsor and across the country and connected the job loss to a falling market share for all three auto companies, due to unfair trade. “It’s not about the worker, his or her benefits or wages, we cannot be expected to compete with third world countries.”

2) http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2008/04/29/5420876-cp.html

" A Canadian Auto Workers official who is angry over the job cuts planned by General Motors at its Ontario truck plant says politicians need to "get up off their asses" and end what he calls unfair trade practices.

CAW Local 222 president Chris Buckley says the federal government allows foreign automakers to flood the market with imports but Canadian companies are shut out of those foreign markets. "

3) New further proof?  Here's a VIDEO of Buzz talking about unfair trade practices and how Japanese markets aren't allowing domestics access to their markets. 

http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=71254&newsChannel=Autos07

Reuters, Nov 21  - The Canadian Auto Workers Union says unfair trade practices are hurting the North American auto industry.

Union President Buzz Hargrove, speaking at the Reuters Autos Summit in Detroit on Tuesday, says Japan is the biggest offender and that ''as long as their markets are closed to us surely we should say to them, you can build cars here and you can sell them here but we will not except imports.''

Shall I find more??  That took me all of 5 minutes, and all of it was from the CAW and their senior members.  I don't make this up. 

Ok?  Good enough?? Concede my greatness.  I am right. I have provided proof. (although..I'm just repeating what YOUR union says.)  Is it me, or does it seem like I retain what I read/know more about your union than you do? Or are you just obtuse?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:20:04 pm by rrocket »

gta_driver

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »

ME TOO!!

There is actually an independent paper(Canada-Japan perspective) on this from the Richard Ivey School fo Business (I think they're affiliated with UofT?). Look it up. The autors name is either Thiessen or Tiessen. Its got a nice table with duties and tarrifs. The table was updated last year. You can get a copy to borrow at any public library ( I had to order one). Basically if an Asian based manufacturer produces vehicles somewhere in North America (thus providing jobs), they can get around it. Its kind of funny, if one of the domestic 3 produces a vehicle in central america, south america, Korea or anywhere else, becuase it is sold under a domestic nameplate, they never have to pay any excise.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2008, 11:57:35 pm »
Rockett and GTA Guy have nailed it. Tariffs not unfair to the domestics and probably favour Detroit.  Ppl in Japan and Korea just don't want or NEED Detroit's type of vehicles.

The Korean government just opened up US beef imports and there were street riots.   ::)Nobody like imports unless they're good.  Remember that junk RCA and Zenith used to sell before Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony et al.  Same thing with the cars.

Industries need competition.  It's been said many times, but can you imagine the junk GM, Ford and Chrysler would still be flogging if it where not for Japanese cars.   :o

If ppl are going to cry about importing countries then look no further than CHINA.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:00:41 am by articsteve »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 06:55:22 am »

Union President Buzz Hargrove, speaking at the Reuters Autos Summit in Detroit on Tuesday, says Japan is the biggest offender and that ''as long as their markets are closed to us surely we should say to them, you can build cars here and you can sell them here but we will not except imports.''

Well there you have it, Buzz is right on.

He says, literally, 'we will not except imports'.  All this time, I thought he was saying 'we will not accept imports'.

Who knew that Buzz is actually IN FAVOUR of importing cars to Canada?

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 07:25:09 am »
My next question.   One never hears the CAW complain about the small number of Big3 ( US /Canadian) cars exported to EUland?    The Europeans, sensible people that they are, sure do not buy many NA scale cars, sure they buy some of course and I wonder if it is more or less than the NA cars sold in Japan/Korea.
 The Big3 all have EU local brands and make cars locally is this the reason?  If so, nothing stops GM/C/Ford setting up factories in Japan or Korea to make cars... but would that arouse the ire of the CAW 'cos if the Big3 set up major manufacturing in Japan or Korea why would they bother to manufacture here?

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:50 am »
"PROVE IT" as thats total nonsence and those of us who have worked in this field KNOW it already. You are not a member of any union but know it all so prove it this time. You keep downgrading the Unions yet you never seem to offer any proof at all. You demand it from me when its in the local and International news on a weekly basis but you know better of course and deny it wether its correct or not. How many different industries have failed in this Country because of the imports, which come in duty free. Figure out just how trade we do with Japan or Korea on a yearly basis and see if its even remotely close at all.  We await your answer?  :)

We've all seen what you know:
 GM will sell about 14 M cars this year ..total crock of :censor:
You know GM constinues to make profit on every car total crock of :censor:.

I never knew being in a Union made you an international trade expert.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2008, 08:53:11 am »
I found the Korean duties and tariffs page.

http://english.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=common.HtmlApp&c=1501&&page=/english/html/kor/facilitation/facilitation_01_08.html&mc=ENGLISH_FACILITATION_IMPORT_080     all one long url.

1st a general 8%
2nd  for cars  either 5% or 10% depending on Engine size   ( 10% for >2litres)
3rd VAT charged on the sum of the price plus the other taxes  10%

Not too different from a imported car in a High PST/HST province in Canada.