Author Topic: GM again. News conference at 08:30 Tuesday  (Read 12419 times)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
Re: GM again. News conference at 08:30 Tuesday
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »
Contrary to popular rhetoric GM is unfortunately not getting more efficient. They have failed to really take a hard look at every facet of their business to encourage efficiency and innovation. They gains that they are currently making are the result of a better engineering focus (admittedly a very good thing) and the rest is still being done the way it has always been done by beating suppliers into oblivion. The news is rife with large Automotive suppliers that can't do it anymore (bankruptcy) and sooner or later GM's (Ford and Chrysler too) component costs are going to rise. Suppliers won't take it forever and soon there will be substantially less competition. My prediction is that Valeo may be the next to declare and that Delphi will never emerge. Valeo just got finished building a nice big plant to support Chrysler truck production next to a plant that is, as of recently, being shuttered. I wonder if that was in the budget?
I met someone who now works with Honda in Alliston and used to work for GM. He indicated that while he was at GM all he had to do was stick a small piece of metal rod on the frame of a truck. There was a second worker to do the same thing on the other side of the frame. He said machines would often leak oil and the shop floor was not exactly clean
He now works for Honda where he makes 34$/hr, says he has to do much more work now and the floor and everything is so clean one could eat off them...

34$/he is not  bad... it makes me think why did i get a university degree..

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 05:24:52 pm »

Why does everyone always blame the beancounters? 

By the same token..what do beancounters know about cars? Often, some very nice concept components/details on cars never make it into production because they don't make financial sense to the beancoutners.  Part sharing? Beancounters again......I could go on...but you get my point...

You're missing the point RR, I'm a Commercial Accountant, which means I have to understand the industry I work in.  I don't just do the numbers, I'm on the "shop floor" as it were and the vast majority of my time is spent with operational people.  If beancounters (solely) designed a product it wouldn't sell, if marketing (solely) designed a product, it wouldn't make any money.

People see financial problems and blame financial people, most problems like this are caused by stick in the mud execs who can't see the wood for the trees.

Cut marketing?  Pshaw!  Just thinkhow much money is wasted having cars available in press fleets for so-called automotive journalists?  Or paying those fat-cat salaries of the bean-counters and financial people.  If those financial people were doing their job, the company wouldn't be in financial trouble now would it?   ;D
:stick:

And as for you Jeffy, how very dare you!  :o :o :rofl2: :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 07:19:14 am »
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/BUSINESS02/600655705/-1/BUSINESS

They need to sort it out or more consumers will be scared away...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
2016 Subaru Forester XT