Author Topic: Toyota Corolla 2009  (Read 2899 times)

yeast2u

Toyota Corolla 2009
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:23:27 pm »
Hey, Guys

I am fresh here. So pls be nice to new guy.

I am planning to buy a new car soon and corolla comes to me. I really like this new designed car and its efficiency on fuel. However one thing that confused me, which module to buy, CE OR S?

Be honest I like the corolla S exterior look but CE is also ok for me. Most of spec of these two models are almost the same so what makes these two have over 4,000 price difference? Air conditioning, power lock etc. are included in S model which is only available as package for CE. But even add that package for CE, it still less than 17,000. (S is almost 19,000 with standard configuration)

So pls show me your suggestion on which one to buy and which is reasonable with the price. Thanks,

Mitlov

Re: Toyota Corolla 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:36:32 pm »
Hey, Guys

I am fresh here. So pls be nice to new guy.

I am planning to buy a new car soon and corolla comes to me. I really like this new designed car and its efficiency on fuel. However one thing that confused me, which module to buy, CE OR S?

Be honest I like the corolla S exterior look but CE is also ok for me. Most of spec of these two models are almost the same so what makes these two have over 4,000 price difference? Air conditioning, power lock etc. are included in S model which is only available as package for CE. But even add that package for CE, it still less than 17,000. (S is almost 19,000 with standard configuration)

So pls show me your suggestion on which one to buy and which is reasonable with the price. Thanks,

CE.  The S has the extra bodywork, but no different engine or suspension tuning, I believe.  I personally think that the spoiler and they side skirts look godawful (whereas I think the Corolla CE looks classy), but even if you liked them, are they worth an extra $2000?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:05:54 pm »
I was "sold" on LE, untill I got inside one that is. It comes with an automatic climate control, push button start and  aluminum rims.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

yeast2u

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:18:57 pm »
thax for the info guys.

Another question here before I make the final decision. Which of following plan is more reasonable?

1. Buy a 2009 Corolla CE with basic package.
2. Lease a 2009 City Golf or City Jetta for 4 years.

Pls leave comments.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:25:15 pm »

Owning is better than leasing in my book unless you can write 'er off or enjoy new vehicles every couple years, plus the Corolla is value priced, economical, and very reliable. Go for 'er.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

yeast2u

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 07:42:56 pm »

Owning is better than leasing in my book unless you can write 'er off or enjoy new vehicles every couple years, plus the Corolla is value priced, economical, and very reliable. Go for 'er.
"Enjoy a new vehicle every couple years" and volkswagon are the only reason I think of leasing a car.  However I found the city golf or city jetta only has 115hp while corolla has 132hp. So does the horsepower really matters alot in city and highway dirving?

Thanks,

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:32:29 pm »
There been a couple of members who have bought one and ended not like the seats
But also is member who find the seat to be fine
Just make sure you take the Corolla for a long test drive

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:07:46 pm »
Yup.  Seats are personal.  I found the seats in the Civic torturous, but the seats in the Rolla are great.  Now, I'm 6' and 155lbs with stubby legs, so you might not fit like I do.  Now, it did take some fiddling to get the seating position right in the Corolla, but the height adjustable seat and telescoping wheel helped greatly.

I think for some of longer legs, the Rolla seats might have too short of a seat cushion.  Also, they are quite flat on the seat bottom, not unlike my now-gone MB's seats, which is something I like.  Attempts at "scooping" the seat cushion kill my arse.

We drove each for over an hour, and it was well worth the hassle of finding a considerate salesperson.

yeast2u

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:31 pm »
I am around 6.5feet and I never noticed the seat stuff in corolla. I will have a long test drive. But now the question for me is how long is long enough for me find if the seat is actually comfort.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »
I've got an XRS and have test driven a S and a CE.

First about the seats...the seats or the driving position or something is causing me leg pain when driving.  Its getting better thanks to seeing the doctor and getting some help there but I'm not 100% sure what to do at this point...it might clear up completely or it may be the car causing me issues.  Whatever you do...make sure you're comfortable.  If you are then its a solid vehicle.

As for the S versus CE....the S interior is nicer looking, it has audio controls on the steering wheel (a must in my mind as a safety feature as I'm changing volume and tracks all the time), the S steering is weightier while the CE is very very very light (too light for me).  There's some other minor things and optional stuff on the CE is standard on the S.  So its nice in all of those respects.  Its worth considering the LE as well as it has some nice features the S and XRS don't have.

My problem with the other models is that the engine doesn't have enough power...not for me anyways.  It felt like I always have to rev it to get rolling.  Its a fine engine...its extremely frugal and the 2009 Corolla is better than pretty much everything in its class for fuel economy so if thats your only concern then the 1.8L is brilliant.  It wasn't enough for me and I'm enjoying the 2.4L which is giving me decent fuel economy and allot of pep with almost no noise unless really revved.  I'd say that the Civic's 1.8L is quite a bit more responsive than the Corolla's 1.8L.  All things worth considering.

The new Corolla looks pretty good, its well made, if it keeps up with the reputation then it should go on for a long time without too many problems, its made in Canada (in Cambridge Ontario), and you can get them for a pretty good price depending on the model and on what you want.  There are other good cars out there in the same segment...worth looking into those as well...they all have their good and bad points and you won't find out what you really like best till you try em.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:04:07 pm »
I am around 6.5feet and I never noticed the seat stuff in corolla. I will have a long test drive. But now the question for me is how long is long enough for me find if the seat is actually comfort.
I'd say 45 minutes.  I didn't go long enough.  I'm 5'11 but proportionally I have long legs.

You may have problems at 6.5 in any small car.  I had a friend about your height sit in my car and it was immediately obvious that he could never drive it in any comfort.  You may need to consider a midsize sedan or coupe.  I should have done that myself and skipped all of the pain and anguish but I'm working through it.