Author Topic: Is this for real? Glad I don't own one...  (Read 6538 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Is this for real? Glad I don't own one...
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:33 pm »
In my culture, there is a big difference between NEW & used.

von_khan

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 04:04:29 pm »
"You get what you pay for."  So I've been told.  What did the first guy get for $60K that the next owner didn't get?  Theories of relativity aside, what did those 60 large buy the first owner?

Exclusivity.

It might not be important to you but it is to some.
The second guy gets the same exclusivity, only a couple years later and a few thousand klicks later and $60 cheaper.  Other than having it earlier, what did the first guy get that was 60 Large more than the second guy?  It's nothing to do with "me".  Try to apply some reasoning to it, K?

Which bit of "Exclusivity" don't you understand?  When a new car comes out you see very few on the road in the first year, especially if it's low volume.  The first buyer gets to drive around in something that "virtually" no one else has, that is the feeling of exclusivity ,and the reason that low volume manufacturers can charge higher than usual sometimes. E.g. A Pagani/Koenigsegg/Noble/Atom might not be better than a Ferrari or Porsche, but you can bet you will see less of them which raises their percieved value to the people that want (and can afford) these sort of cars.

By the time it's resold a few years later, they are not so "special".  Granted it's the same car, but people aren't wowed by it anymore which is what some people will partly be buying it for.  I thought Merc SL's looked amazing when they first came out, now I just think they are OK as I have seen so many of them. Still a nice car though.

Completely agree.

My brother's a nut like that. Pays a lot of money for every new and exclusive toy that comes out. But if it puts a goofy grin on his face, who am I to judge.. right?

Look at the new Nissan GTRs.. People will pay a lot of money to have one right now. 2-3 years later it wont be the cat's paw, just another nice car. And obviously a used one will sell for lower.

Mitlov

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 06:43:33 pm »
In my culture, there is a big difference between NEW & used.

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner.  I've bought cars both new and used.  The practical side of my brain says that it's eminently more sensible to buy cars once they're two or three years old, but there's just some indescribable special-ness about a brandy-new car.  If I was a gazillionaire, I'd always buy new.

And THAT's what buyer #1 got for his extra $60k.  "That new car smell" and everything that comes with it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:46:37 pm by Mitlov »

barrie1

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:18 am »
I like guys who spend lots of money on expensive cars and then lose the majority of it to depreciation. I like to buy used Caddies with low milage as they do give very good fuel milage on the highways. Usually around 35MPG on average on cruise, run really well for years to come and the parts are very cheap if you know how to maintain them yourself which I  do. I undercoat them and maintain like any vehicle and drive them for years wih no problem or high car payments as well. Rarely are these vehciles ever close to being worn out but only go down in value for their age. I reap the benefits and savings and enjoyment for years to come off of these vehicles.  :)