Author Topic: McGuinty's Looking to Euroland for a new manufacturer...  (Read 4526 times)

Cortina

Re: McGuinty's Looking to Euroland for a new manufacturer...
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 07:45:42 pm »
Peugeot they are the best IMO.  ;D

Trouble with Fiat, Renault and Citroen they are not that reliable. Renault and Citroen are only reliable when the got the Peugeot diesel engines under the bonnet IMO. ;)

Ummmmm. While your at it........ :think:

I also say scrap NA Ford and GM. Bring over the Euroland Ford and GM products which are far better and would save the companies IMHO. ;D

:surrend:

Isn't that what GM is already doing with Saturn with very mixed results?

I think thats more Saturn fault than the cars tho.  Saturn seams like a nish brand. How many people even think Saturn when buying a new car. :)

That Astra would sell a lot better at a Chevy dealership as a replacement for Chevy Cobalt. Then you could really measure what a Euroland brand sells like. :)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 08:23:07 pm »
I figured that a wholesale brand change of Saturn into Opel would make more sense - whatever brand equity Saturn may have had in plastic body panels and no-price haggling is now more a historical retrospective on great ideas gone wrong than an import beater.

Opel is 100% recognized as European and would carry more panache than trying to convince people Saturn is a 'different kinda car company. (AGAIN)  ::)

How long before the tuner crowd are prying off the Saturn logo for a Opel badging - like they used to do with the MK1 'Rabbit' that had people picking up the Golf logo....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:25:15 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 09:13:38 am »
Saab.  :rofl2: ;D :rofl:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 09:55:35 am »
Skoda - probably the most reliable cars built in Europe.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
..... ::).......McNISH brand   wood that NO bee frum Aberdeeenn............. :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

loser40

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 03:08:16 pm »
Surely you want a volume manufacturer to create more jobs and of course offer more variety & choice to us petrol heads...

I reckon any off-shoot of the Porsche-VAG group... starting with just 1 marque and then one by one bringing other marques to supply the whole of NA's/SA's needs, accept for the true premium Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, & Porsche makes of course, which for marketing reasons all need to be made in their respective countries of origin.

BTW - Did you know that Porsche/VAG bought Scania (posh trucks/rig's) recently...

...if memory serves me right that means that the Porsche-VAG group now own 9 (or 10 if you count VWCV as different to VW) automotive marques and have large shareholding's in 2 others - WOW !!!

M.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 07:49:47 pm »
Peugeot they are the best IMO.  ;D

Trouble with Fiat, Renault and Citroen they are not that reliable. Renault and Citroen are only reliable when the got the Peugeot diesel engines under the bonnet IMO. ;)

Ummmmm. While your at it........ :think:

I also say scrap NA Ford and GM. Bring over the Euroland Ford and GM products which are far better and would save the companies IMHO. ;D

:surrend:

Isn't that what GM is already doing with Saturn with very mixed results?

I think thats more Saturn fault than the cars tho.  Saturn seams like a nish brand. How many people even think Saturn when buying a new car. :)

That Astra would sell a lot better at a Chevy dealership as a replacement for Chevy Cobalt. Then you could really measure what a Euroland brand sells like. :)

This makes good sense or badge them as Opals like another poster suggested. Too bad that Saturn's brand equity has pretty much dried up now. I would have loved to see them succeed as a Euro sourced "premium" sort of brand with VW levels of interior and driving dynamics with -hopefully- higher levels of reliability. Sigh... Another squandered opportunity... :-\

vdk

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 12:40:05 am »
bmw or audi.  the states is both of their biggest market and when the canadian dollar starts to fall (that is, when the US dollar starts to rise) it will be to their benefit.  i don't think honda or toyota are unionized in ontario are they? 

I believe they're not ... can anyone confirm this?  ???

Cortina

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 10:48:34 pm »
bmw or audi.  the states is both of their biggest market and when the canadian dollar starts to fall (that is, when the US dollar starts to rise) it will be to their benefit.  i don't think honda or toyota are unionized in ontario are they? 

I believe they're not ... can anyone confirm this?  ???

correct. :)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 06:48:28 pm »
I wish McGuinty was looking to Euroland for a new job for himself ;D
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7