Author Topic: Do you care what kind of tow truck is used to tow your car?  (Read 1829 times)

Ilpav

Whenever your car breaks down and you need to call a tow truck, do you specify what type they should send? The regular pickup-based ones are OK for 2WD, but shouldn't they send a small flatbed for 4WD ones? Are you even allowed to ask for a flatbed if you have a 2WD vehicle, just because you don't want extra wear on your car?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Do you care what kind of tow truck is used to tow your car?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:13:51 pm »
Yes.  Flatbed since that is what's recommended in my owner's manual. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:30:19 pm »
Most tow trucks are equiped to tow all types of vehicles. But you can request a flatbed.

I would be more worry about the skill and the 'careness' of the tow driver than the type of truck he is driving. Saw a guy trying to put an Audi S6 onto the flatbed in a Home Depot parking lot, walk by when I started to go in the store, 1 hour later, car is still not on the bed, and he is on the phone, customer looks rather pissed and worried.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:47:26 pm »
the one time my AWD BMW needed a tow they lifted the fron and put a dolly under the back wheels. This was BMW roadside assistance, they apologized for not having a flatbed unless I was willing to wait longer.
( this was not a breakdown by the way it was a pothole ripping the sidewalls of two crummy goodyear tires)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:54:45 pm »
Subaru cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground.  All must be off somehow, whether on a flatdeck or dolly.  Haven't had to tow any of our cars for over 10 years, touching wood...

xviper

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
Flatbed here, too.  My car's got too much plastic in the bumpers to be lifted from one end.

Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:54:20 pm »
Manual says flatbed due to the 4WD setup.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:55:37 pm »
My manual says all wheels off the ground, dolly or flatbed only.

With a proper set up, there should be no damage to bumpers if using a dolly.  I wonder how some low slung vehicles can get on/off the flat deck without damage to the front/rear ends (unless you are Johny English   ;D ).
2016 Subaru Forester XT