Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan  (Read 41746 times)

Mitlov

Re: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2008, 02:43:15 am »
The same could be said about the Ralliart if they make it with a manual transmission.  Maybe a 5 speed from the Evo X would come after the initial launch along with the fugly hatch back.  If they just leave it with the SST the WRX will have this pretty big advantage.

...except I have been seriously underwhelmed by every Subaru manual I've ever dealt with.  I'd gladly take a smooth-shifting dual-clutch setup over the notchy, clunky Scoobie shifters I've dealt with in the past.  (Disclaimer: I haven't tried the 2008 WRX; maybe it's better than the 2005 Impreza, 2005 WRX, 2006 Legacy 2.5i, and 2006 Legacy GT I've driven).

A traditional manual setup is nice, but it's not the be-all-end-all IMO.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2008, 03:00:43 am »

Nice to see you are coming around on that. :)  IIRC, last year you were pretty set-against paddle shift trannies..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

JVan

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2008, 03:58:16 am »
The same could be said about the Ralliart if they make it with a manual transmission.  Maybe a 5 speed from the Evo X would come after the initial launch along with the fugly hatch back.  If they just leave it with the SST the WRX will have this pretty big advantage.

I agree, but I should of clarified I really meant when modding, the SST would not be as good for high hp.

If I ever upgrade into this Ralliart I would get the SST for sure.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2008, 04:01:01 am »
Heck..Vishnu has already managed an additional 100HP and 100TQ on the SST, which is quote impressive.  He states that level is very reliable still.

Mitlov

« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2008, 10:55:24 am »

Nice to see you are coming around on that. :)  IIRC, last year you were pretty set-against paddle shift trannies..

The comment was more driven by contempt for bad manuals than love of dual-clutch paddle-shift units.  I haven't experienced the latter firsthand, so I can't comment on them.  But I've come to terms with the fact that I don't get manual-transmission enjoyment from a MT car with lousy shift action.

Until proven otherwise by first-hand experience with a dual-clutch paddle-shift setup, though, I'm going to keep saying that my ideal setup is a traditional manual transmission with sweet shift action.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2008, 01:29:35 pm »
The WRX would be a better car to mod if you wanted higher HP, but most people who mod do just basic things.  People into serious performance would go for the STi or Evo.     

You'd be surprised.  There are plenty of modified WRXs making STi or better power.  Why?  The cars use the same block.  If you're going to start modifying the engine, the WRX gives you the same starting point for less money: it doesn't matter that the turbo is smaller, since you're replacing it anyway.  :)

The WRX is also cheaper to insure than the STi.  ;)  And you can modify it at your leisure, instead of putting down $50 000 or being locked into $50k worth of payments.

I'd love an STi, but from my POV, a modified WRX makes far more sense.  Biggest difficulty might be finding an AWD dyno.

Agreed, to achieve STI like performance from a WRX you will need the following:

COBB Stage 2: $1750
AccessPort AWD ProTune: $600
OZ Racing Superleggeras 17 X 7.5 : $1200
Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs-D3 225 / 45 R17 91y : $1100

$4650 CDN is real pricing based on real experiences and not sitting on a couch or chair reading about it. Feeling like your going fast and actually going fast are two different things IMO.