Author Topic: Cdn Pricing announced for 08-09 Dodge Challenger  (Read 17331 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Cdn Pricing announced for 08-09 Dodge Challenger
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 01:32:53 pm »
IMO if someone is buying a car like the Challenger, they're doing so to a) re-capture the muscle car mystique and b) make a statement. You get neither from a smaller engined version.

Sure there will be some who go for those because they're affordable and looks good. But to anyone with any knowledge they'll be looked at in the way tpl suggested... pretenders, not contenders. Still... I won't complain if I see a bunch of these on the road... far better to look at than many other cars!

Then there is the 'will it become collectible/desirable' factor. And in that case only the cars with the larger engines and/or special packages will be able to command higher re-sale prices.

I agree, and wonder exactly how many Challengers and Camaros that Chry & GM think they will sell? With gas prices today, and future fears for gas prices to be even higher, only the die-hard Challenger and Camaro enthusiasts may be the market. Not enough numbers to make the lines profitable, I wouldn't think.

Ford got a real jump on the nostagia market with the Mustang, and it's be out now for about 4 years. I don't think the 6 cylinder versions of these cars will be that desirable and I predict short production runs for the Challenger and Camaro (particularily the Challenger).  ??? ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 04:02:13 pm »
IMO if someone is buying a car like the Challenger, they're doing so to a) re-capture the muscle car mystique and b) make a statement. You get neither from a smaller engined version.

What if you just like the design, and want a nice car to drive around in, it doesn't have to be a race...

Sure there will be some who go for those because they're affordable and looks good. But to anyone with any knowledge they'll be looked at in the way tpl suggested... pretenders, not contenders.

Contenders for what? It's not like anyone is gonna stick an SRT8 badge on the back...

Then there is the 'will it become collectible/desirable' factor. And in that case only the cars with the larger engines and/or special packages will be able to command higher re-sale prices.

I seriously doubt many of these will become collectible, unless never driven, which sort of negates the point of buying IMHO.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »
I seriously doubt many of these will become collectible, unless never driven, which sort of negates the point of buying IMHO.

You got that straight.  If I bought one of these, I'm heading to the drag strip.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 05:21:12 pm »
Muscle car mystique?  From when?  Thinking back to the 60's and early 70's?  Do you think the RS/SS 396 Camaro, Z28 Camaro, 429 Mustang, Boss 302 Mustang and other HI-PO models didn't have small engined siblings?  Of course they did.

I'm with Bob.  With these cars it's nice to have a smaller engine choice, and it makes no difference to the owner of the monster V-8 version, unless of course, he/she has some sort of ego problem to begin with.

Personally, I'd go the other way.  Get an SRT8 and shave the emblems, or replace them with "V-6" or whatever the label is for the other version.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:12 pm »
Personally, I'd go the other way.  Get an SRT8 and shave the emblems, or replace them with "V-6" or whatever the label is for the other version.

Exactly!

My kinda M5...  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 07:29:54 pm »
0-60 for the V6 Mustang is still ~7 seconds and ~15 sec in the quarter mile, hardly a dog. Some people may simply consider that to be "enough". With the pony package, it actually handles pretty well too.

The last I heard though, the Camaro and Callenger will be considerably heavier than the Mustang. The V6s may have a tougher time hustling them along.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 01:05:41 am »
Muscle car mystique?  From when?  Thinking back to the 60's and early 70's?  Do you think the RS/SS 396 Camaro, Z28 Camaro, 429 Mustang, Boss 302 Mustang and other HI-PO models didn't have small engined siblings?  Of course they did.

:iagree:  The argument that it's "philosophically" or "enthusiastically" wrong is just silly.  The original version of these cars had V6s, and the new ones do: absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Especially considering the V6s available today likely make more power than some of the V8s back in "the day" did.   ::)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 11:44:52 am »
Now if only they could get 100+bhp per litre out of the whole engine range!

vdk

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 11:57:39 am »

Exactly!

My kinda M5...  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Arguably the best BMW ever... I know it's my favorite..  :thumbup:

Mitlov

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:45 pm »
I'm just surprised so many people put up with the crappy interiors and build quality of a car like this when they aren't getting the 8.

I don't know as much about the Challenger V6, so I'll answer this for the Mustang V6 Pony Package. 

Since when did a four-seat coupe with RWD, a manual transmission, 240 lb-ft, and a sport suspension, all for CAN$25,500, become a BAD thing?  Cheap interior plastics or no, that's a lot of car for the money.

Is the styling really that great?  Again, I'd take an Si....although i'd miss the RWD.

Good for you.  Given that the SI makes 60% of the torque at twice the RPM, though, I understand why a lot of others would not necessarily agree.

And yes, compared to the 2006 Civic in my book, the styling really is better ;)

Finally, if you're concerned about the lack of soft-touch plastics in the Mustang, read this Edmunds blog comment about the new Civic's interior:

2007 Honda Civic GX: Soft-Touch Where You Don't Touch

In the end, my point is not that the Mustang V6 is better than every other car in its price range.  My point is that, if you get away from V8 expectations, it's a remarkably good deal and it's one very good option in the price range.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:13:59 pm by Mitlov »

GTOJack67

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 03:24:04 pm »
Sure there will be some who go for those because they're affordable and looks good. But to anyone with any knowledge they'll be looked at in the way tpl suggested... pretenders, not contenders.

Many buyers don't care if some snob on the street corner looks down their nose at them because he doesn't think that their engine is big enough.  I don't blame them.  Come on, man, I'm sure you're a good guy, but in that last post you came off as an elitist p----.  I work with a woman who drives a 2005 Mustang V6...she loves it and isn't trying to prove anything...who are you to stick your nose in the air?

They're only a "pretender" if they put a V8 badge on a V6.  If they don't hide the fact that they're driving a V6, they're not "pretending" anything.  Just because you yourself think their car should have a different engine doesn't mean they're pretending it does.

Buying ANY car as an investment is a terrible idea.  Yes, the V6 will depreciate faster than the V8...but come on, if depreciation was on the top of your list of concerns, would you really be buying any Dodge (besides a Viper) to begin with?

Ah, the beauty of communicating on a message board - the writer's intent is often missed by the reader. Though I do take offense over how you only included the parts of my original post that fit your rant. Why did you chop out "Still... I won't complain if I see a bunch of these on the road... far better to look at than many other cars!" ?? That's where I'm saying that I personally am looking forward to seeing these cars on the road regardless of powerplant! No worries though. ;)

So to reiterate... I was indicating the likely perceptions that a great many people will have towards the smaller engined Challenger (I was only talking about that vehicle). And none of this is new. There have always been people who want to look fancy but don't have the means to go top of the line. And with the marketing for this vehicle aiming towards the aggressive side of performance there will be a schism in perceptions - like it or not.

As for the 'buying any car as an investment' comment... well, there are likely a bunch of Lambo, Ford GT, etc owners that would likely prove you wrong ... but those are all far cries from a Challenger! Still... you'll likely see a hemi Challenger at a Barrett-Jakcson Auction... but you won't see a v6 one... unless it is a special package vehicle.

Heck, if Chrysler was smart, they'd be putting a snorked out V6 in there that would compete power wise with many V8s! Not like that couldn't be done!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:26:14 pm by GTOJack67 »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »
Since when did a four-seat coupe with RWD, a manual transmission, 240 lb-ft, and a sport suspension, all for CAN$25,500, become a BAD thing?  Cheap interior plastics or no, that's a lot of car for the money.

Exactly  :fiver:

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 10:55:22 am »
I like the look of the new Challenger and would not have a problem driving a V6 or even an I4 model just as long as everyone else did the same.  Just want to keep up with the herd, don't want to get left behind!

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 01:25:12 am »
Now if only they could get 100+bhp per litre out of the whole engine range!

They could, but they would cost a whole lot more.  Not to mention, you would have a 600+ hp Challenger :D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 12:26:21 am »
They could, but they would cost a whole lot more.  Not to mention, you would have a 600+ hp Challenger :D

Give it time.  Someone will drop a Supra engine in there, and-

:D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 01:34:08 am »
In order to drive the new Callenger or Camero with a V6 I'd need one of these.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 01:36:12 am »
Keep your foot out of it and the mileage between the small block V8s and the V6s won't be that much of a difference.  They're all regular gas at least.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 01:36:27 am »
If either of them was a TURBO V6...I'd be all over it...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 12:42:46 pm »
I'm Ov'r `18 so that' means I'm OVER it's appeal.................. >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 03:57:45 pm »
In order to drive the new Callenger or Camero with a V6 I'd need one of these.

I think it'd suit you artic...  :P