Author Topic: Bestway to protect the driveway  (Read 3197 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Bestway to protect the driveway
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:33 am »
Got a few oil and such stains on the driveway, some from previous owner, some from friend's cars ... So thinking of getting rid of them and maybe even put some magical painted-on product to cover up the driveway's concrete.

Any suggestions?

Cortina

Re: Bestway to protect the driveway
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:50:25 am »
Got a few oil and such stains on the driveway, some from previous owner, some from friend's cars ... So thinking of getting rid of them and maybe even put some magical painted-on product to cover up the driveway's concrete.

Any suggestions?

There is this stuff you can buy from crappy tire or was it home depot. It does sort of work. I had a nightmare oil stain when I was selling my house and thought I'd give it ago. It did clean some of the stain off. It was not perfect but it made a big difference.  :)

Car_nut

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:26:35 pm »
I tried those hand degreaser (you know, the one that you use after working on your car) that I bought from Can. Tire, it worked quite well on fresh oil spill. Not sure about the stubborn baked on stain. May take several tries.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 01:06:11 pm »
There is this stuff you can buy from crappy tire or was it home depot. It does sort of work. I had a nightmare oil stain when I was selling my house and thought I'd give it ago. It did clean some of the stain off. It was not perfect but it made a big difference.  :)

Oil Lift.  Never used it, but I've heard very positive things about it from customers.

I'd be wary of anything you paint on.  We had garage floor paint on our concrete garage for years, and it had to be reapplied every year because it would lift where you drove on it.  :/  OTOH, at our new place we put down some tennis court paint on the stonework on the driveway, and it's held up very well...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:26:46 pm »
I won't use paint. There has to be some kinda sealing material that last over 5+ years. Home Hardware has commercials about it, can't recall what it was.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:59 pm »
Beauti-Tone Hard Rock?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 02:42:06 pm »
Water based concrete and stone sealant from Stone Mason is the crap I use.  :)  Bought from Home Depot 5 years ago.  5 gallon can.  Can makes great step stool.