Author Topic: Visa cards with chip....your experience ?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Visa cards with chip....your experience ?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
I was in a small resto last night and asked the server.  They have seen a few chipped cards and they all will do:
If the customer comes to the cash and puts the card in the slot for the chipped card then the customer enters the  pin .
If the customer just hands them the card at the table then the server will swipe it as usual.

They don't have a portable ( wireless) terminal yet.

I don't get it then, what's the advantage of the chip cards if they can just swipe it as usual  ???

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 01:56:34 pm »
From what I have heard, from people who were involved with the initial chip and Pin thing at RBC is that when "most" of the cards in a given area have chips then if someone tries to swipe a chipped card in that area it won't work, they  will have to use the chip and pin.  Seems to me to be as good a scheme as it could be.  Frankly they should have done it about 5 years back but there were problems with getting the US to go along as long as Visa was owned by the banks. Now Visa is a separate company it will speed up a bit.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 03:00:56 pm »
..Mmmmm  CHIPS with everything....now that's a FINE DINING EXPERIENCE.............may i suggest a casoulet of 95 Baked bean  Sir, with a fried egg circa 2008 to TOP it OFF................U may indeed.................. :lick: :lick: :lick: :inlove:
Time is to stop everything happening at once