Author Topic: Chrysler Death Watch  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Chrysler Death Watch
« on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:37 pm »
As more stories like the Chrysler Death Watch series hit the web (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chrysler-suicide-watch-34-end-game/), I wonder more if buying the Sebring in November '06 was a bad idea.  The car isn't worth much on a trade-in already ($4,500 black book), and if Chrysler goes out of business, the trade-in value will likely be reduced to near zero.  Also, initially, I had hoped to keep this car for 10 years or so, but parts might be a problem too.

Any comments?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
Re: Chrysler Death Watch
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:17:30 pm »
There's lots of speculation around this issue on the web, in car mags, on the dealer floor etc.

If you wanted to sell your car in the short term you would likely take a steeper depreciation hit than you might like. Since you are keeping it longer term I would sleep soundly at night. Why? Your car is likely to be sold for some time and from I can see it is on some rental fleets so there is a lot of parts out there and there will be a ready supply of used parts that could be rebuilt if necessary.

I foresee a smaller Chrysler and I wonder if Jeep will get sold to another company (the only thing I still see left over from AMC after Chrysler bought them out). Isn't Jim Press with Chrysler now? He seems like a pretty sharp guy to try to turn things around.

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:24 pm »

As long as you like the car I suspect your in good shape to keep it going for many years. As the owner of an AMC that Dodge has not supported appreciably, I can say that a number of other sources will spring up to help you keep the car running most likely for another 30 years if you wish. If you are looking to change cars though an end of the chrysler brand will be bad news for you as it will likely drop price rapidly at least in the short term. As long as you like your vehicle I don't think you made a mistake. If you are not loving it, though, it may be a good time to look at what you would like to replace it with while it retains some value

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:24 pm »
If resale value is going to plummet, why not buy another Sebring for parts when that happens?   Or be creative like those Cubans. 

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:09:43 pm »
Any comments?

Sure. It sounds like somebody is trying to work up a justification for getting a new car. :)
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

gta_driver

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:15:41 pm »
The website truthaboutcars (although a fun read at first) is website run by folks who hate all domestic car companies and have an obvious Toyota bias (see screen capture below). I take everything they write with a grain of salt. If they didn't take Toyota advertising dollars and wrote "love in" articles about Japanese cars, I would take them seriously. I think some of their deatwatch series will outlast the website.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:17:24 pm by gta_driver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:35:44 pm »
So are you saying the only manufacturer that advertises with them is Toyota?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:57:15 pm »
Have a look at how they rate Toyotas.  I would not call TTAC a love-in site for Toyota products.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyota/

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:43 pm »
Whether biased or not (and who isn't baised anyways) it is certainly an entertaining read.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06:11 pm »
They made a lot of Sebrings - parts supply won't be an issue for at least 10 years yet.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
Most of our purchases for transportation have been Chrysler product. We own one at present. They have always been satisfactory and engines have never let us down.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:44:56 pm »
Most of our purchases for transportation have been Chrysler product. We own one at present. They have always been satisfactory and engines have never let us down.

Which is utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »
I think Chrysler is already DEAD when Daimler Benz bought it ... now it is just a company that will get tossed and played pass the bucket ... somebody hope to make a go of it, if not, pass it on.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:52:01 am »
  Also, initially, I had hoped to keep this car for 10 years or so, but parts might be a problem too.

Any comments?

I had a 2000 Daewoo Lanos my F-in-L bought out and he is still getting parts from (what was once) 401-Dixie Daewoo.

Daewoo checked out at least 4 years ago, although many of the Daewoos were produced internationally so parts are available - even for the limited number ever sold in N/A.

Chrysler should be NO problem for parts, even if they packed it in tomorrow.

Fortune favours the bold!

Cortina

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:58:41 pm »

Any comments?

There are a lot of sebrings out there. So if the car gives you no trouble you should be fine at least for a few more years.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 09:17:26 pm »
Any comments?
There are a lot of sebrings out there. So if the car gives you no trouble you should be fine at least for a few more years.  :)

So far, so good.  My average gas consumption is at 9.4L/100 km and the car has needed regular maintenance only. 

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 08:10:49 am »
Watch for front end suspension issues - CV joints if I recall - as a friend of mine had isses with his.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 09:33:40 am »
Chrysler should be NO problem for parts, even if they packed it in tomorrow.

:iagree:...I have had no issue maintaining a "vehicle" of which ~ 35,000 were made...and they stopped production in the mid '80's.

Unless you want a new car of course...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 03:59:50 pm »
Unless you want a new car of course...

I'd love a new car, but my financial planner would have a stroke.