Author Topic: Q Car  (Read 8482 times)

Mitlov

Re: Q Car
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 02:10:15 am »
Can it actually turn?  The last Brabus car tested on Top Gear (an SL) simply couldn't handle the power...  I'm no fan of AMG (they strike me as a muscle car group - drop big power in and leave it at that), but AMG at least recognizes the limits of a vehicle's ability to put down power.  Brabus can make the power, but they seem to have trouble making use of it...

Of course it can't turn.  It's nose-heavy as all hell and it's got enough power to set the rear tires on fire if you exhale wrong.  But wondering about the Black Arrow's handling is as misdirected as wondering about the Ariel Atom's quarter-mile time and trap speed.  That's just not what this vehicle is about. 

Besides, there's a long and distinguished history of doing this to Benzes.  And now that AMG has decided that it's actually going to make cars that can handle, someone's got to take over the legacy of what AMG used to be all about.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:14:43 am by Mitlov »

ilovecables

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 10:01:25 am »
AMG cars that can handle = the new C63  ;D

Mitlov

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
AMG cars that can handle = the new C63  ;D

And even more so, the CLK63 AMG Black Series.  Those two cars show AMG's new direction, I think.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »
But wondering about the Black Arrow's handling is as misdirected as wondering about the Ariel Atom's quarter-mile time and trap speed.

I wonder what it is, can't be bad? Found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwQGln97-0

Don't have a clue if this is fast or not..? But as you say, not really what it's designed for.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Mitlov

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 06:06:33 pm »
But wondering about the Black Arrow's handling is as misdirected as wondering about the Ariel Atom's quarter-mile time and trap speed.

I wonder what it is, can't be bad? Found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwQGln97-0

Don't have a clue if this is fast or not..? But as you say, not really what it's designed for.

I looked it up, and Motor Trend timed the Atom at 12.3 sec @ 106.2 mph.  That's actually Nissan GT-R times, better than I thought.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 06:17:18 pm »
12.3 at 106 mph?  That is one hulluva low ET for the trap speed.  I'd expect the trap to be over 110 for sure.  The Atom must be running out of steam over 100mph.  Low top speed I imagine.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2008, 06:25:59 pm »
Depends on the atom tested, the clip I linked is the 300bhp one, might as well use the top of the range model...

The video was 11.5 @ 115mph.  The top speed will always be crap but it will make up for it in acceleration, and after my passenger experience I can confirm that the wind noise/buffeting really is that brutal!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2008, 10:37:10 pm »
Of course it can't turn.  It's nose-heavy as all hell and it's got enough power to set the rear tires on fire if you exhale wrong.  But wondering about the Black Arrow's handling is as misdirected as wondering about the Ariel Atom's quarter-mile time and trap speed.  That's just not what this vehicle is about. 

Different strokes, I guess.  I find a car that can't make use of its insane horsepower about as useful as a broken watch: it might be right twice a day, but that doesn't really help me.  If the Brabus cars could actually put down their power, that would be one thing.  But building a car that develops huge power but can't do a thing with it strikes me an exercise in futility.  :)

They do look brilliant, though.  ;)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 11:17:11 pm »

Different strokes, I guess.  I find a car that can't make use of its insane horsepower about as useful as a broken watch: it might be right twice a day, but that doesn't really help me.  If the Brabus cars could actually put down their power, that would be one thing.  But building a car that develops huge power but can't do a thing with it strikes me an exercise in futility.  :)

Can't do a thing with its power? I think we're talking about degrees of a very high level  of performance, no? Or will the average Civic put it in the weeds?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Mitlov

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »

It CAN make use of its horsepower, just not from a stop.  Like I said, 50-70 roll-on times should be insanely low.  Just because a vehicle can't make use of its full horsepower from a dead stop doesn't mean the vehicle can't make use of its full horsepower.  That's true of everything from the Mazdaspeed3 to this.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »
Don't know how to use its full? Better learn how to drive.  :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2008, 12:20:33 am »
Or will the average Civic put it in the weeds?

Only if they go around a slight bend.   :rofl:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:33 pm »
Skoda 110R with a Porsche flat 6 and suitable suspension upgrades, or a Lotus tuned Lada Signet (Riva).
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2008, 05:39:05 pm »
An S2000 or modded Civic might do in the Brabus on an autocross in a parking lot, but on some real road, forget it.  It can handle enough and once rolling, all that power comes in pretty handy for a 200km/h "ahh, see yaaaa."  If you like crashing through 300km/h, the Brabus is one of the few that can do that, too.

The original "AMG" car (though not modifed by AMG, but by the engineers that would leave MB to form AMG) was the 300SEL 6.3.  Same story.  Stuff an engine from a big car into a smaller chassis and make it go REALLY fast.  In it's day, that car was insanely fast.  Heck, even today, it's a little shocking.  Years ago I was out on an MBCA road run and I was passing a line of cars with the speedo reading 190.  In my mirrors came a guy in his 6.3, reeling me (and everyone else) in.  Not sure how fast he was going, but at 190 I felt like I was standing still.  From a 70's vintage sedan?  Yow!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2008, 05:45:11 pm »
An S2000 or modded Civic might do in the Brabus on an autocross in a parking lot, but on some real road, forget it.  It can handle enough and once rolling, all that power comes in pretty handy for a 200km/h "ahh, see yaaaa."  If you like crashing through 300km/h, the Brabus is one of the few that can do that, too.

Which is why I'd take a 2JZ powered S2000.  Would walk away from the Brabus like a bad habit....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 10:51:38 pm »

Mid-engined turbocharged 1.8L making 200 hp at 6700 rpm, and 177 ft-lbs at 3400 rpm (through the rear wheels).  0-60 in 5.75 seconds.

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2008-aygo_crazy_concept/

...I like it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »
That is ANYTHING but a Q-ship type of car, though.

Mitlov

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 11:03:44 pm »
That is ANYTHING but a Q-ship type of car, though.

Take off the wing and paint it grey, and it'd easily be mistaken for a normal Aygo, even though it shares more in common with a turbocharged MR2 than an Aygo.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 11:35:49 pm »
This is my kind of Q car.   ;D

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson