Author Topic: Gas Price Fixing Proved at Last  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Gas Price Fixing Proved at Last
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »
Ha, about time the feds caught these guys.  And Ultramar will not challenge the charges:

Quebec companies charged with fixing gas prices
Competition Bureau probe continuing in other parts of Canada
Last Updated: Thursday, June 12, 2008 | 7:31 PM ET
CBC News

Criminal charges have been laid against 13 people and 11 companies accused of fixing the price of gas in Quebec, the federal Competition Bureau said Thursday.

The suspects and companies operated in Victoriaville, Thetford Mines, Magog and Sherbrooke.

Three companies and one person pleaded guilty in Quebec Superior Court in Victoriaville on Thursday to related charges.

The companies, which included Ultramar Ltd., face up to $2 million in fines in total.

"Today's announcement sends a clear message that the Competition Bureau will take action to stop price fixers whenever we have evidence that they have broken the law," bureau commissioner Sheridan Scott told a news conference in Montreal on Thursday.

"Price-fixing is a fraud against consumers. It deprives Canadians of the benefits of a competitive market, including a lower price and a greater choice."

The bureau alleges the gas retailers — individual operators who ran their stations under the banners of Shell, Esso, Petro-Canada and Irving oil — called each other to agree on prices.

Ultramar was fined $1.85 million, while Les Pétroles Therrien Inc., operating under the Petro-T banner, and Distributions Petrolières Therrien were fined a combined $179,000.

An Ultramar employee, Jacques Ouellet, was fined $50,000.

Scott said an "overwhelming majority" of businesses in the markets involved are accused of participating in the alleged scheme. It’s difficult to estimate how much the alleged price fixing cost consumers, she said.

The charges result from an “extensive investigation” by the bureau from 2004 to 2007 involving wiretaps, searches and informants. The probe continues, Scott said, with investigations being carried out in other parts of Canada.

Ultramar said in a statement issued Thursday that it will not challenge the charges.

"This is obviously a regrettable situation that we deplore," said Ultramar motorist sales network vice-president Christian Houle.

Consumer advocates lauded the competition bureau’s move, saying it proves what many gas buyers have suspected for years.

The charges “give a clear signal to those who will be tempted to [create] cartels not to do it,” said Charles Tanguay, a spokesman for l’Union des Consommateurs, Quebec’s consumer watchdog.

“We see that there are severe penalties, [and] there might be class-action lawsuits,” possibly launched in upcoming days, he said.

Motorists across the country have been outraged this spring as gas prices climbed to new record highs, crossing the $1.50 a litre mark in major Quebec urban centres last week.

The charges will likely fuel public anger at oil companies, which will be damaging to the industry, Tanguay said.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Gas Price Fixing Proved at Last
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:30 pm »
Ha, about time the feds caught these guys.  And Ultramar will not challenge the charges:

Quebec companies charged with fixing gas prices
Competition Bureau probe continuing in other parts of Canada
Last Updated: Thursday, June 12, 2008 | 7:31 PM ET
CBC News

Criminal charges have been laid against 13 people and 11 companies accused of fixing the price of gas in Quebec, the federal Competition Bureau said Thursday.

The suspects and companies operated in Victoriaville, Thetford Mines, Magog and Sherbrooke.

Three companies and one person pleaded guilty in Quebec Superior Court in Victoriaville on Thursday to related charges.

The companies, which included Ultramar Ltd., face up to $2 million in fines in total.

"Today's announcement sends a clear message that the Competition Bureau will take action to stop price fixers whenever we have evidence that they have broken the law," bureau commissioner Sheridan Scott told a news conference in Montreal on Thursday.

"Price-fixing is a fraud against consumers. It deprives Canadians of the benefits of a competitive market, including a lower price and a greater choice."

The bureau alleges the gas retailers — individual operators who ran their stations under the banners of Shell, Esso, Petro-Canada and Irving oil — called each other to agree on prices.

Ultramar was fined $1.85 million, while Les Pétroles Therrien Inc., operating under the Petro-T banner, and Distributions Petrolières Therrien were fined a combined $179,000.

An Ultramar employee, Jacques Ouellet, was fined $50,000.

Scott said an "overwhelming majority" of businesses in the markets involved are accused of participating in the alleged scheme. It’s difficult to estimate how much the alleged price fixing cost consumers, she said.

The charges result from an “extensive investigation” by the bureau from 2004 to 2007 involving wiretaps, searches and informants. The probe continues, Scott said, with investigations being carried out in other parts of Canada.

Ultramar said in a statement issued Thursday that it will not challenge the charges.

"This is obviously a regrettable situation that we deplore," said Ultramar motorist sales network vice-president Christian Houle.

Consumer advocates lauded the competition bureau’s move, saying it proves what many gas buyers have suspected for years.

The charges “give a clear signal to those who will be tempted to [create] cartels not to do it,” said Charles Tanguay, a spokesman for l’Union des Consommateurs, Quebec’s consumer watchdog.

“We see that there are severe penalties, [and] there might be class-action lawsuits,” possibly launched in upcoming days, he said.

Motorists across the country have been outraged this spring as gas prices climbed to new record highs, crossing the $1.50 a litre mark in major Quebec urban centres last week.

The charges will likely fuel public anger at oil companies, which will be damaging to the industry, Tanguay said.

What a bunch of idiots. Not for doing it but for getting caught. How hard would it be to let others in your area know the price without phoning them.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:47 pm »
At any point in time, at any street corner in Victoria, all gas stations display the same price, to the penny.  After ten years in this city, I still do not understand how there can be zero competition between gas stations, and how it can continue to be allowed to happen...

I think it is blatantly obvious that the stations in town have an agreement not to charge any less than the other stations.  How else can one explain that they move in lockstep with one another?  It's ridiculous...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:03 am »
I'm always surprised when I visit the States and see gas prices ranging up to 10-12 cents per gallon inside a city, and more between nearby cities.  Yeah, it's only a few cents per litre, but prices are not ALL to the 10th of a cent in a city, like they are here...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:31:10 am »
$1.85 million for a gas/oil company to pay doesn't even rate as a blink of the eye to them.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:50:33 am »
Curious why one employee was fined? Goat?

JBrill

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:40 am »
This would be so easy to regulate.  All you have to do is mandate the amount of profit a vendor is allowed to make over the price they paid for the fuel (and left in the tanks) and not price based on speculation.

Vendors know exactly how much fuel remains in the tanks and what price they paid for it and know how much new fuel gets pumped in and at what price.  Therefore, they can easily cost the averaged cost of the fuel in their tanks and should only be allowed to charge a % above that cost (though they should be allowed to charge at a loss if they are above market prices and uncompetitive  ;D).  I'm 100% sure we would see huge price differences amongst vendors if this were in place.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:08:48 pm »
There's a 3.5c difference in some posted prices at gas stations here, but that's only because some of them don't offer a 'discount'. Take that out of the equation and the prices are the same down to the last tenth of a cent. If that's not price fixing, I don't know what is. >:(
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:46:42 am »
What are gas prices in Vernon now?  My inlaws are there...

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:49:01 am »
The word competitve edge in trying to sell more gas than the other guy was the norm and as a result you used to have a choice.

Nowdays they are all exactly the same price. That is price fixing when they don't even try to compete. The only exceptions I have seen are the smaller guys like the Loblaws gas bar at Gerrard and Vic Park - it's usually a little lower.

And these guys are getting fewer and fewer. There used to be stations everywhere. Now I think the only one I can think of is on Kingston Road near Fallingbrook. There once was one at Woodbine and KR and then Birchmount, but both have gone and out at the top end two of these independents have gone also.

Big Oil co's probably starved them of fuel? It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:29:28 am »
 ??? ::) :P Quebec..gas ....PRIX FIXE..........ME'N'U.........A la Farte............. 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »
I'm always surprised when I visit the States and see gas prices ranging up to 10-12 cents per gallon inside a city, and more between nearby cities.  Yeah, it's only a few cents per litre, but prices are not ALL to the 10th of a cent in a city, like they are here...
Last time I was in Los Angeles in 01,I was at an intersection with 4 gas stations. All had a different price. I remember being pissed off because I could not get to the one was 10cents cheaper. Too hard to navigate the traffic to get to it. Going there again this summer. Will see if it is the same.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage