Author Topic: Speeding ticket  (Read 18191 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Speeding ticket
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »
When it rains......it pours.

I have been served with an out of province ticket for "Speeding". Specifically 140 (1.1) a of the NB motor vehicle act, which refers to speeding without exceeding 25km/h over.

Ticket just says "speeding" without reference to the speed limit nor how fast I was going, but it does refer to the specific MVA section. So :-\ not sure. ??? Maybe I can get it tossed on a technicality or the cop won't show up if its a nice sunny day.

Naturally I'd like to get it squished, primarily for fascist-insurance-system reasons, but being out of province makes it tricky plus I have to hire some guy. Ontario gives demerit points for out of province offenses as if it occured in Ontario...but in Ontario it seems that you only get points if you were 16km/h over or more. There is no specification of how far over the limit I was driving.

On the other hand, insurance doesn't care so much about demerit points as convictions, correct? Should I be getting the vasoline and start shopping the car? :)

Advice appreciated. :P XCopper?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:50:47 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Speeding ticket
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:59:16 pm »
XCopper?

They went into bankruptcy.  Took 6000 current cases with them.  :o

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:09:07 pm »
If you're quilty, be a good Canadian and pay up. ;)

As for the cop showing up, he probably will.  Out west they usually schedule court dates when the officer will be available.  And there will no doubt be others in the courthouse fighting the same officers tickets.
That way, the first guy goes up, pleads not-guilty, loses, and everyone else walks out and pays their fines. 
Works every time. :popo:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:15:07 pm »
XCopper?

They went into bankruptcy.  Took 6000 current cases with them.  :o

:( That's not good. Pointts doesn't do anything out east.

There is a paralegal in town....I guess there is also the full out lawyer option but the price would likely be too much to be worth it.

I did some quote comparisons with my current provider and it looks like I'll be bumped up by about $350/yr. (going from clean to 1 minor conviction). Not a catastrophe given what rates are like for me anyways, but still....

I'll gladly pay up some money to a charity but...the fascists can go suck a lemon. :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:49:06 pm »
I'll gladly pay up some money to a charity but...the fascists can go suck a lemon.

:fiver: :fiver: :fiver:

The supreme insult is that the Province allows the ICs to hold that conviction over your head for 3 years when the Province, for demerit purposes, only holds the convicts for 2 years.  ::)

montrealvue

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 03:04:32 pm »
Fascism aside, I never heard you say you WEREN'T speeding.  That being said, you do the crime you do the time.  Pay up and move on with your life.  The law is in black and white, don't say you didn't know. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 04:33:06 pm »
Where were you caught?

Section number 140 (1.1)a under the New Brunswick Provincial Offences Procedure act is simply defined as "Speeding".

Some other offences are:

140(1.1)(a) speeding

140(1.1)(b) speeding by over 25 km/hr

140(2) driving too fast in the circumstances

Short and sweet.

Some other "technicality" may be available, but the ticket does define the offence you are alleged to have committed. And don't count on the officer not showing up, that happens very rarely here.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »
Emigrate mm.     When you come back from Australia with a fresh driving licence and a different name they will have given up on you.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:17 pm »
What I don't understand is how you can get a ticket for speeding and it doesn't indicate how fast you were speeding by?

wannabe4x4ing

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:17 am »
A friend of mine got a ticket in Ontario last year and it showed up on her driver's abstract in AB.

At 13 demerits (AB), I have a little experience in trying to get out of tickets (ticket free for three years, and all my tickets come off in July. I have been reformed!) and all I know is this:

The police have a little experience at filling out the paperwork for speeding tickets. They're pretty good about dotting their i's and crossing their t's. If you weren't willing to risk the fine, the increase in insurance costs and the loss of pay that comes from going into court to fight a ticket you deserve... well, then you shouldn't have been speeding.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 11:45:40 am »
What I don't understand is how you can get a ticket for speeding and it doesn't indicate how fast you were speeding by?

I had those tickets before in my teen years, "too fast for condition" ... with a flat rate for fine.

2 summers ago, was travelling in the US, got stopped 5 times, 1 ticket and 2 warning, the other 2 times the office looked at my CDN license and asked me to slow down. Don't think the the Province of Alberta have deals with the States in the US to bring those traffic records over. Hope not anyway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:48:47 am by initial_D »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 02:48:09 pm »
Update: With XCopper down it doesn't look like fighting it will be financially worth the time. :-\

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 07:09:38 pm »
Off topic here.....what exactly is happening in your avatar :think:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile