Author Topic: Rusty Rotors on S2000  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Rusty Rotors on S2000
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:08:51 pm »
Spotted this rotor on a new S2000 at Corwin Honda in Fargo, ND.  How quickly can rotors rust like this and can you simply drive away with them and have no issues?

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Rusty Rotors on S2000
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »
Very light surface corrosion from sitting.  A couple stops and its gone.

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:20:42 pm »
My old Legacy had rusty rotors when it was one year old, though not nearly this bad.  Curiously, I drove it nearly everyday.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:56:21 pm »
Very quickly.  My rotors rust overnight after washing the car.  The surface rust comes off quickly after a couple of brake applications.

ilovecables

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:12:44 am »
Replace 'em with some nice cross drilled plated rotors - they don't get any surface rust, and they perform better.  ;D

xviper

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:58:50 am »
Replace 'em with some nice cross drilled plated rotors - they don't get any surface rust, and they perform better.  ;D
This is a proven fallacy, at least for an S2000.  The OEM brake components on an S2000 do such a great job that few, if any, aftermarket rotors will perform any better.  In fact, cross drilled rotors are ill advised for an S2000 that is tracked.  They have a tendency to crack between the drilled holes in high heat situations.  Cross drilled rotors look pretty but do little for better braking performance on this car.  If you need better water shedding and off gassing, slotted rotors are recommended.  The rust situation is pretty common on S2000s.  As already said, they'll rust right after a car wash but will scrub off with the first brake application.  Not a real big deal, but to side step this, you can get aftermarket rotors that are cadmium plated.  They don't even have to be slotted.
The rust depicted in that picture is from being left unused for extended periods of time.  One that is driven regularly won't ever look that bad.

Note:  After a car wash, leave it in gear, but don't apply the ebrake.  This will minimize the loud CRACK you'll get if you park it for a while and then take it out for a drive.  The noise is the pads breaking free of the rotors due to the rust build up.

barrie1

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:44:06 pm »
Its a very common thing for rotors to rust quite badly even over night on occasion as its the nature of the metal and the surface of it. Yes a few good stops generally does clean it mostly off and they are as good as new.  :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:46 pm »
Those rims are different....

xviper

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:57:17 pm »
Those rims are different....
Those are the '08 OEM rims on the S2000.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 11:12:10 pm »
I wonder why car makers don't employ the same technology used on motorcycle rotors to keep them looking good, especially on those models where the rotors are very visible.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 11:19:43 pm »
Looks like there are couple of deep grooves on that rusty rotor.   Is that a good or bad thing? 

xviper

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:34:54 pm »
I wonder why car makers don't employ the same technology used on motorcycle rotors to keep them looking good, especially on those models where the rotors are very visible.
This is a very good point.  I think there are many factors that contribute to why this is.  Typically, a motorcycle's brakes have much less weight to deal with when bringing the vehicle to a stop.  We see fairly large diameter rotors, with multi-piston calipers on bikes.  One can say that motorcycles are "over-braked" as compared to cars.  Thus, they can be made thinner and of materials that don't have to tolerate the stresses of a car application.  Those same materials can be of rust resistant characteristics.  Having been a motorcycle instructor for many years, I can tell you that the average motorcycle will out stop the average car, when driven by the same sort of corresponding driver experience.  There is no need to build such "heavy duty" brakes in a bike and it's this HD nature that lends to materials that are prone to rust.  Motorbike brakes are fairly simple, yet can be exotic in what goes into them.
Car rotors can also be plated so they resist rust, but as we can see from aftermarket vendors, they tend to be much more expensive and they don't necessarily work any better (sometimes worse) than OEM parts.  The S2000 has some of the best brakes today.  They were designed for a car that was meant to be auto-crossed, tracked and raced.  Plating them to resist rust has actually been shown to diminish their capabilities.  Honda elected to go with performance, rather than aesthetics in this area.  I'm sure that other manufacturers also consider the "bottom line" when selecting the parts to build a car.

xviper

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 11:38:21 pm »
Looks like there are couple of deep grooves on that rusty rotor.   Is that a good or bad thing? 
Can't really tell if those are deep grooves or just lines where the rust didn't form (for whatever reason).  If they are indeed grooves, that would mean that something abnormally hard was either embedded in the pad or is part of the pad, caused those grooves during what little stopping that car was subjected to.  Grooves that early in the car's life is not good, however, I'm tending to think this is not the case here.

carthatgoesboom

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:51:39 am »
The rotors on my taurus were rusted after a big thunderstorm.  After I drove around it was gone.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:29 am »
The rust in the picture is not significant...it is pretty usual for discs. If you enlarge the photo though the grooves seem to be notable. Weather this is a sign of a problem or might be bothersome is not known.