Author Topic: Moving to Alberta from New York, USA. Inspection question  (Read 5269 times)

manchu00

Moving to Alberta from New York, USA. Inspection question
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:58 am »
I still own and daily use my first car. Its a 1991 toyota celica. I'm a handyman of sorts and get great enjoyment out of keeping my baby running. I would really really really hate to get rid of it. I have a lot of memories in that car, it has been faithful to me and has saved me tons upon tons of money. We have yearly inspections here, and every year i give it a once over and it makes it past. But now we're are moving to Alberta, over two thousand miles away. There is already all kinds of red tape we have to go through, so i don't want to have to mess with having to buy a new car in a country in which I am not a citizen. My question is, how rough are the inspections? Does anyone up there drive around an old beater or do cars pretty much have to be 5 years old or newer? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new car before we move  :-[ :'(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:16:03 am by manchu00 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Alberta from New York, USA. Inspection question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:49 am »
Define "beater".  ;D  You only have to be inspected once when you initially get your license stickers (tags).  Since the car is over 15 years old, you won't have to do the additional Registrar of Imported Vehicle inspection.  You MAY have to do some type of smog test....not sure about AB though.  I'm sure someone else will chime in.  As long as the car is roadworthy and the safety equipment in working order, you should have no problems.

And....WELCOME TO CANADA!!   No work in NY?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

manchu00

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:30:26 am »
And....WELCOME TO CANADA!!   No work in NY?

Hey thank ya!! There is but my employer thinks my skills are more needed and better suited for work up there.  also, that isn't bitterness, my wife and i are pretty excited. only been to niagra falls as a kid so it will be an adventure. How much do block heaters cost anyway? lol Anyway, your post was very encouraging. The car is not a death trap by any means. Hubs are rusted, but there is no play in them, brakes are perfect, runs great, suspenstion is tight and smog shouldn't be a problem once I fix the hole in my exhaust this weekend. oh and happy (merry?) Canada day!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:33:09 am by manchu00 »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:41:18 am »
No smog inspection, as far as I know. Doubt they are too severe on the other stuff.

Vehicles are certainly newer overall then say, Saskatchewan, but plenty of us still drive old machines around. Mind you as pointed out there is no yearly inspection, so unless I change insurance or move to another province my old truck may never get inspected in its life.

Remember that, all ye who cut in front of me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:49:36 am »
Manchu..I sent you a PM...

manchu00

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:20:58 am »
Ok so let me get this streight. If my old gal can get past the initial inspection, it won't have to be checked again? if thats the case, you have made my day!  I love Canada

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:35:50 am »
^^Yea.  In Ontario it's a one time safety check.  The only time a car needs a safety again (generally) is when you sell it.  But you should be fine.  Since the car is older than 15 years, that helps quite a bit in reducing any red tape.

xviper

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:02:35 am »
Here, in Alberta, there are no annual safety checks at this moment in time.  You may have to get some sort of importation and out of province inspection when you try to register it here.  Then there's the insurance.  If you plan on buying local insurance, a car that is more than 10 year old will have to have a mechanical inspection and pass.  This is an insurance company requirement and has nothing to do with where the car came from.
On the other hand, if you cross the border with a personally owned car and you continue to keep your US registration and insurance, you don't need to do anything for about 6 months, but contact Canada customs on that one.  After that, it has to be registered and insured here.

weebl

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:58:19 am »
I moved to Alberta from BC a couple of years ago, so I can share some of my experiences which will be common.  Sounds like there's no RIV hassle, so unless there's something else about bringing a car into Canada from the US, there shouldn't be much else to worry about.

Before you can register the car, you will need a safety inspection done.  This can be done at any provincially recognized mechanic, who can issue you a certificate valid for registration.  They wiill check for the usual mechanical roadworthiness, and unfortunately, will also note if your front side windows have tint film.  That said, with inspections being done privately, I am sure some places are more by the book than others.

For a US import, you may be required to get daytime running lights activated/installed, and I think will require the addition of a permanent sticker (on the door jamb?) stating that the odometer is in miles.

Once all that is done, you get your plate (only 1 for the rear, no front plate needed in Alberta), issued through an authorized private registry (1 or 2 year renewal).  In Canada, the plates belong to the owner, not the car, so when you sell your old car and get a new one, you keep the same plates (unless you really want to pay more money for a new set).

Insurance in Alberta is private (not government run), so much like it is in New York.  Canadian exceptions to this are BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (government run insurers) and Quebec (private for property, government insurer for liability).

Welcome to Canada!  Which part of the province are you moving to?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:55 pm »
...sounds like tha MANHATTAN PROJECT in reverse............hope they appraised ya of the House Prices in ALBERTA....they make Donald TRUMP cringe.... :stick:...keep yer Guns and Roses @ home and ye'll fit right in....... ::) :P...Howdee ManchuuOO...ride 'em COWBOY...........
Time is to stop everything happening at once