Author Topic: Smart Car/ Toronto winters  (Read 2943 times)

Adriano

Smart Car/ Toronto winters
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:54 am »
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and i need some help. I am buying an 08 Smart car and i want to sell my currnet car which is a 00 honda civic but before i do that can anyone tell me how the Smart handles in the snow i live downtown and i have a short ride to work on the highway about 25 kilometers to work other than that its all inner city driving. How do the two cars compare.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Car/ Toronto winters
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:40:08 am »
From CanadianDriver's test page:

"Equipped with snow tires, the rear-wheel drive, rear-engined Smart can handle snowy roads and highways easily, but it can only tackle only so much deep snow - like any small car with limited ground clearance. In "normal" winter and snowy weather, I found the new Fortwo easy to drive and I never got stuck. Equipped with snow tires on all four wheels the traction was excellent. A bonus in the Fortwo is the ability to shift into first gear via by using the stick or the paddles. (The latter is a much safer way of shifting in bad weather as you can keep both hands on the steering wheel.) Thus, in normal snowy conditions there is little chance you will get stuck. But if that does occur, you don't really need to worry. The Fortwo weighs just 830 kg, so a Herculean physique is not required to push it free."

Smart winter test: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mc/06fortwo.htm

WINTER TIRES ARE A MUST.  IT YOU CHEAP OUT AND DON'T BUY A SET YOU WILL GET STUCK!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Cortina

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:56:09 am »
How do the two cars compare.

Like chalk and cheese. ;D

I've seen a few Smarts in Kingston being driven in the winter. With snow tyres. Didn't look like they were having any trouble. I have never seen a Smart on a Highway in Canadaland come fall, winter, spring or summer. Accept in Euroland where it is fairly common. But that is beside the point. I have to ask. Why this car. Because you can get in to a Yaris or Fit for the same money and they would drink about the same amout of gas if you didn't opt for the Diesel. Which I think they have stop doing a Diesel now in the new face lift smart. :)

Smarts are cheap in comparison to a Euroland car. But not in NA IMO. Euroland is where they are better suited IMO. Here they seamed to be just ad for a company or for a enthusiast. Here in Canadaland nobody seems to take them seriously IMO. :)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:47:53 am »

Smarts are cheap in comparison to a Euroland car. But not in NA IMO. Euroland is where they are better suited IMO. Here they seamed to be just ad for a company or for a enthusiast. Here in Canadaland nobody seems to take them seriously IMO. :)

I actually wouldn't mind driving the Smart.  They do look somewhat out of place even on secondary highways, though. 

if you think we don't take smart seriously even though we've had it for number of years, imagine what people in US will think of them, now they are just getting it. :rofl2: :rofl:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:33:08 am »
I have seen many SMART cars on the 401 and 407.  They are obviously pedal to the metal and they look a little out of place but they were keeping up with the slower traffic (105-115 km/h)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:47:25 am »
I know you did not ask but there are better cars for the money. Stop and think a bit.

- Only room for two people.
- Hardly any luggage capacity.
- Slow and under powered compared to others.
- Rear wheel drive on such a small car will not be as good as your Civic was in winter.
- First Smart was "The worst car ever tested" by consumer reports. Not sure how much new model has been improved.
- Other small cars get close to same mileage.
- Would doubt you will get same reliabilty and durability out of this car as you would from a Honda, Toyota, Hyundia or Nissan. Merecedes not doing too good on that front over all.

This is half the car others offer but it is not selling for half the price.

If your objective is to be trendy then go ahead. But I think if you really think this through logically there are better choices.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:12:22 pm »
I was passed by a Smart on the highway.  I was doing about 120 km/h.   I've seen them throughout the winter in slush and snow.  Haven't seen one stuck yet.  Driving a small car myself, I think they'll be quite easy to fit in small parking spots and squeezing in between cars on the highway. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 06:28:03 pm »
There is false economy in selling your 2000 Civic and buying a new Smart.  Yes, you will save weekly on your fuel costs, but I am sure it would take years and years to overcome the difference in the selling price of your Honda and the purchase price of the Smart.

Now, if your Honda was done for and you needed a new car anyway, the Smart might be a very smart choice.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:23:06 pm »
i have a short ride to work on the highway about 25 kilometers to work other than that its all inner city driving

That is just a ridiculous car for expressway use in the GTA.  Don't buy it.  Reliability and parts are the sh*ts.  The only benefit is it's size and that is completely wasted here.  Europe a completely different story.  If you must have a tiny eco friendly car buy a Yaris.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:25:23 pm by articsteve »