Author Topic: Anyone been to Cuba lately?  (Read 4163 times)

accordingly

Re: Anyone been to Cuba lately?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 11:16:36 am »
My wife and I went to Paradeisus Princessa in Varadero in late February. The resort was rated a 5-star, but the reality of Cuba is that these rating mean very little. The resort was fine, clean, well-kept (for the most part) and the staff very friendly.

Do not go to Cuba for the food . Although I was fairly content with the quality and selection, it does not compare with north american standards. Unfortunately, the resort tries to cater to various culinary tastes (i.e. sushi), but is never quite able to get it right. Strangely, they serve very little Cuban food, which I happen to like, so I was somewhat disappointed to not have found ANY fried plantains while we were there (maybe not in season, I don't know)

DO go to Havana if you can. It is a case study of dysfunctional central planning and its effect on a stately colonial city. If you can, try to spend a couple of days there (book one of the downtown hotels) and just hang out. You will gain a much greater appreciation for daily life that you will from the back of a tour bus. And, as amusing as it is, you won't have to listen to the propaganda from the tour leaders.

We were fortunate during our visit that we were able to meet up with friends of friends that are stationed with a foreign embassy in Havana and got a (priviledged) insider's look at their lives.

Trivia: the Cuban resort industry is 51% owned by an arm of the Cuban military. Once Soviet funding dried up in the 90s, they had to "diversify." So they went into the tourism business. Apparently, the top brass now oversee hotel and resort operations.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
...so it's kinda like a "BAY OF PIGS" redux....with the tourists being unwitting participants at the trough.......................chanelling JFK @ the White_house...."asske(boston accent) nott wott yah countree Can_du!!! fer yah ,but would a Canadian reactor do fer  tha Countree???"... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 11:46:03 am »
"lazy for a week" and ya have a 2 year old..................are ya gonna sell Him?her? to pay fer tha TRIP.... ;D

Not for sale. :rofl2: This is why we need a "stationary" vacation. Otherwise we would go visit places. She loves to play in sand so she can stay busy all day long and I can drink beer watching her.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 12:05:21 pm »
good fer U.... :thumbup:took our 14month old(ages ago) to Mexico and Britain @ 2.......he had a ball in the pools...pubs..and at that age they are an easy "carry_on"...,,,everyplace is a playground at that age and by suppertime they snooze onna floor at the restaurants.... ;D