Author Topic: Anyone use an 'unlocked' cell phone?  (Read 2806 times)

robarakira

Anyone use an 'unlocked' cell phone?
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:59 am »
It's time to upgrade from Telus...

I like the HTC Tilt 8925 (an AT&T US phone); but, I'm unsure about if I'll be able to get full services enrolling this GSM 'unlocked' phone with Fido/Rogers...  Anyone know?

Wolfe

Re: Anyone use an 'unlocked' cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:45:38 am »
AFAIK you just put the Fido/Rogers (or Petro-Can, 7/11 prepaid mobile which also use the Rogers GSM network) SIM card into the unlocked phone and it should work. The phone takes its identity from the SIM card and as long as the identity of the SIM card does not conflict with the locking software loaded onto the phone itself it should work.

It's only if you try to use a SIM card from a different provider in a GSM phone that is locked into a competitor's network that service will not function. I think, though I'm not sure, that you can use a Petro-Can prepaid SIM card in a locked Rogers phone.

Telus uses CDMA don't they?

robarakira

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:33:30 am »
No sim card with Telus..

I know navigation service can be had on select Rogers/Fido models, but should a given unlocked GPS capable phone be able to tap into the service as well?

Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:54:45 am »
In that case Telus uses CDMA.

About navigation service I have no idea. :-\

dorin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:01:24 am »
There's no problem whatsoever using an unlocked GSM phone with Rogers, Fido, Virgin, etc. (Rogers owns all the GSM market in Canada, Bell and Telus are CDMA).  I've been using an unlocked phone with Rogers for over 5 years now.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:47:59 am »
I always get my GSM phones unlocked for $10-15 when I get a new one. Never had a problem.   The "locking" thing is really unnecessary in Canada as there is only one GSM provider.  In the UK IIRC all phones are unlocked when you get them as supplier and number portability has been there for some time now.

Dorin, I thought Virgin was CDMA piggybacking on Bell ?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:56:34 am »
When I got my N95 it came factory unlocked, but I have to stay with the cell company for 15 months anyway.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

UmroAyyar

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:01:15 am »
I lost my phone in snow shoveling my car out. Bought a Nokia N95 from tigerdirect (US Edition). N95 is sold unlocked in most markets. Everything works, except Rogers 'Vision Unlimited Internet' that is limited to Rogers branded phones.

You can use 3G services, regular WAP internet, MMS pretty much anything without issues. If you are getting a smartphone, there are quite a few navigation solutions, a lot of them are free.

Virgin Mobile piggybacks on Bell's network.

Rogers/Fido and petro-canada mobility are GSM (Mothership Rogers).

Don't know much about unlocked phones for CDMA networks.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 10:10:21 am »
AFAIK   CDMA phones come with an embedded serial that cannot be changed ( like a MAC address) and to move them to another network would require setting up an account on that network to "transfer" the serial number.

robarakira

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:18:32 pm »
hmmm
Fido said:
"In order to operate on Fido's network, a handset must meet the following requirements:

- It must be running on the GSM (Global Systems for Mobile Communications) technology;
- It must be compatible with the 1900 MHz frequency band and preferably incorporate the 850 MHz frequency;
- It must be SIM unlocked.

Any model of handset that meets these three requirements should work with Fido's prepaid service or monthly airtime package.  Please note, however; that if your handset has not been provided to you by Fido, we cannot guarantee that data and text message services will function properly, even if the voice service functions well. we do not support GPS service."   (on non Fido phones)

Fido phones get Fido web unlimited for $7/mo, but they'd charge a non Fido phone something like $30 for 8mb.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:30:46 pm »
Forget about getting navigation from the carrier. Buy a smartphone and use that.

What are you looking for? I am a great fan of convergence devices like the Nokia N95, I got one because I need one now, have been using crappy LG and Nokia 'brick' phones for years. :D

Regarding the internet, that $7 unlimited internet is WAP mobile access, not high speed 3G network speed. Realistically, how much internet usage you need on the go? Messages/Data function is dependent on the settings you have on your phone, tremendous amount of information available how to setup the accounts, no issues there.
These are standard disclaimers.

It all comes down to your requirements (I won't say needs). BTW, I use the N95 on the pay as you go plan and use their internet as well, not a 'chatty' person though so its pretty manageable.  ;)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 03:42:25 pm »
I always get my GSM phones unlocked for $10-15 when I get a new one. Never had a problem.   The "locking" thing is really unnecessary in Canada as there is only one GSM provider.  In the UK IIRC all phones are unlocked when you get them as supplier and number portability has been there for some time now.

I agree, but the locking thing works from the operators point of view, though. If people are under the impression that an unlocked phone from a 3rd party may not work in the Rogers/Fido network, then they are likely to buy the phone from the operator. Ka-ching.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

Dorin, I thought Virgin was CDMA piggybacking on Bell ?

No ours are pretty much all sold locked nowadays.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 07:17:09 pm »
VIRGINS should always be locked ..............I have the DE_CODER RINGS :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once