Author Topic: BRING or BUST! 2008 Ford Falcon RELEASED!  (Read 2774 times)

turbodiesel

BRING or BUST! 2008 Ford Falcon RELEASED!
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:51:34 am »
Now this is a serious "threat" for Ford NA: either bring it, or bust!  :rofl2:

(cough) it looks really awesome. Still with familiar 4.0L L6 and 5.4L V8.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080217.005/all-new-ford-falcon-revealed

Mitlov

Re: BRING or BUST! 2008 Ford Falcon RELEASED!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:06:54 am »
I would looooove to see the new Falcon here.  Maybe a long wheelbase model to replace the Crown Vic?  Maybe with an "Ecoboost" turbo four as a base engine to keep CAFE regulators happy?  As long as they offer the turbo inline-six with a 6MT, I won't complain.

It looks like it can handle as well as go fast in a straight line.  I wonder if it can.  I also wonder if it delivers on the details--smooth manual shifts, communicative steering, etc.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:32:07 am »
I would looooove to see the new Falcon here.  Maybe a long wheelbase model to replace the Crown Vic?  Maybe with an "Ecoboost" turbo four as a base engine to keep CAFE regulators happy?  As long as they offer the turbo inline-six with a 6MT, I won't complain.

It looks like it can handle as well as go fast in a straight line.  I wonder if it can.  I also wonder if it delivers on the details--smooth manual shifts, communicative steering, etc.

I would love to see it here too.  No way we will though.  It doesn't have the gaping, jack-o-lantern, snaggle toothed front facade that Ford seems to think North Americans want. (Evident by the front end designs of most of the models available for sale here). Whoever thought up that design and the team that approved it should be given their walking papers. :)

turbodiesel

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:01:14 am »
I think this car should deserve heavy publicitynot just in Australia, but in Canada as well cuz i dare say CANADIANS DESERVE IT!  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:47:18 pm »
Mulally likes it too, so much he's bringing one over for himself:

FORD Motor Company president Alan Mulally was so impressed with the new Falcon G6E Turbo that he will drive one in the US.

Ford Australia product development vice-president Trevor Worthington told GoAuto about what happened when the ex-Boeing boss called in to check on some FG prototypes at the You Yangs test centre last year, including the new G6E Turbo.

“He went and sat in it and I sat next to him. He is a very considered guy and he sat there for 10 seconds and he said: “There is nothing like this in our company.”

Mr Worthington agreed, before Mr Mulally said: “I want one”.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/86AF112778951AAECA2573F300206152

Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:21:44 pm »
Mr Mulally said: “I want one”.

Mulally, may not have been a car guy before but he sounds like he gets it now. I really want to believe this is not some clever spin.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:36:11 pm »
show me tha Mulally....$$$$$$$ 8) :banana: :pimp: :light:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:23 pm »
I think Mulally is starting to clue in...if he hadn't already...what Ford NA's problem is.  The Ford cars here are OKish but not spectacular and they are facing down some pretty spectacular competition.  Even GM's got a nice solid turn around coming I think.  The new Malibu looks far more appealing than the Fusion in my mind...although the Fusion I'm still going to check out.

But imagine the Falcon as a replacement for the Taurus.  Maybe with their new engines for better fuel economy and emissions (a must).  Then the Euro Focus and Mondeo to replace the current Focus and Fusion.  Keep the Edge and have a look at that new Kuga CUV for something a bit smaller.  In my mind thats what Ford really needs to do and they can build it all here if they really wanted to.

turbodiesel

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 05:17:48 pm »
When, for Mullaly, not only he should bring one to the US, he gotta figure out some ways to make it LHD somehow... I heard the conversion is very tough (or impossible) because of chassis problems, am I correct?

Wolfe

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 05:50:27 pm »

But imagine the Falcon as a replacement for the Taurus.  Maybe with their new engines for better fuel economy and emissions (a must).

That would likely solve the problem of the overlap and competition between the Fusion and Taurus (Chevy has more or less the same problem with the Malibu and Impala.) Bringing the Falcon over as a RWD mid-size/large family sedan (with a complementary sporty version) would provide some welcome differentiation to Ford's lineup.