Author Topic: Quick and simple question about the Honda Fit....Does it use a timing chain?  (Read 3242 times)

superbaldguy

I thought I read that, somewhere, seems unlikely a compact uses a chain as that seems to be a feature of a higher-end car, although my 2001 Sentra GXE uses one.......I couldn't really see that on the specs at Honda Canada, either.

Insights?

avtoller

The Yaris uses a chain, but if I recall correctly, the current generation Fit uses a belt.

superbaldguy

Yeah, I'd be surprised, too. Does the Versa use a chain?

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
From world.honda.com

"Refinement is further enhanced with electronic Drive-by-Wire throttle control, which provides quick throttle response, smooth automatic transmission shifts (on automatic transmission models) and precise fuel delivery to the engine. Friction reducing technologies include roller bearing tipped rocker arms, a low friction timing chain tensioner, molydebenum coated piston skirts and an offset crankshaft/connecting rod design."

From this one can infer that it has a timing chain. ;)

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
I did a search over on Fitfreak.net and everyone is saying that the Fit has a timing chain.

For example:

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-talk/15752-timing-belt-scheduled-maintenance.html

avtoller

:-[ :-[ :-[  Wrong as usual, I guess.  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
:-[ :-[ :-[  Wrong as usual, I guess.  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D

I assumed it was a belt as well.Most hondas in the past used a timing belt. That's good ,one less maintenance item to deal with.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'd be surprised, too. Does the Versa use a chain?

Yes, the Versa uses a chain. Quite a refined and quiet little motor IMO.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

superbaldguy

Thanks, guys. My next new car will be either the Fit or the Versa.

avtoller

Thanks, guys. My next new car will be either the Fit or the Versa.

Excellent choices, both.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
when ya PULL the chain does the OIL FLUSH............ :-*........now there's a HANDY THO'T...... ;)..........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
The workshop manual shows a chain. Complete with several references to NOT let the chain anywhere near a magnetic field...from which I guess one can assume that it is a steel chain.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
 ::) better not go to SEDONA then tpl.... :P