Author Topic: CD Article: Honda Civic, 2001-2005  (Read 8617 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Honda Civic, 2001-2005
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:51:58 pm »
Today's Used Vehicle Review:
Honda Civic, 2001-2005

Honda Civic, 2001-2005A used Civic can be a smart purchase, but buy one from someone who hasn't "driven the poop out of it", advises Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.  "Even a Honda will fall apart if it's treated badly," he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Used Vehicle Reviews

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: Honda Civic, 2001-2005
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:25:11 am »
...owned by someone less likely to have driven the poop out of it. Like Civics before it, the seventh-gen model has proven reliable, but even a Honda will fall apart if it's treated badly.

Or not drive it at all and have it fall apart, like Barrie's.  :rofl: :rofl2:

All jokes aside, this is a very capable vehicle, and it also looks alright too.  :) The only thing I don't like is the ride...I would call it "bouncy", like a Mini Chevy Astro, and not "firm" like other small cars.

Greg B.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:48:27 am »
Not sure why anyone would buy one of these. Overinflated prices for a very average vehicle mean it's best to look at something else.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:53:58 am »
It's too bad the eight-gen blew this model out of the water, because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the seventh gen Civic.  Aside from being a little bland to look at, imo.  I do love the SiR, though - awesome little machine.

banfield

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 09:00:00 am »
Not sure why anyone would buy one of these. Overinflated prices for a very average vehicle mean it's best to look at something else.

The upside is Honda's exceptional resale value.  We confirmed this when we privately sold our 1993 Accord in 2006. We bought a nearly-new 2005 Civic.

We find regular Honda service expensive, but again, the resale value is exceptional.

In light of the current above-par Canadian dollar, I do find Honda's Canadian pricing ridiculously high compared to U.S. prices.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:35:01 am »

I think these Civics are much better than average, especially when you consider their compeition in the early years: Sentra, Corolla, Protege..  I don't think it's right to compare them to the Mazda3's as the Mazda is significantly newer.

While the driving dynamics are pretty bland, especially compared to the Protege (anyone sense a bias?), the engine is wonderfully smooth, the transmission (manual) is terrific and they get great fuel economy.  Had they offered a Civic hatch there's a good chance I'd be driving one.

Sure they hold their value well, but with so many on the market you can find a reasonably priced one.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:39:03 am »
Not to mention stellar reliability.  There's lots of good reasons to own a Civic...  that's why they're Honda's best selling model in Canada...

unctuous

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:49:42 am »
Not to mention stellar reliability.  There's lots of good reasons to own a Civic...  that's why they're Honda's best selling model in Canada...

The resale values are way too high for what you are getting.  The insurance rates on a Civic are also much higher than your average vehicle.  Any used car buyer with any sense would steer clear of these cars.

Despite what people will tell you,  the Civic is still a cheap econobox albeit a good one.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 10:52:58 am »
My Wife 2001 si had afew issues - front strut leaking, rims corroding.... but overall a very nice car. We only had it for 2 years.

The one thing that really made me laugh was going over speed bumps. No matter how slow the rear end would sort of do a 'bounce' over the bump! I think I read somewhere that in the next years they revised the suspension.

I know this is probably going to sound crazy but my wifes si was the light silver colour - just like her 2003 accord coupe.

When I would wash the civic and et it nice and clean the doors were actually a different shade of silver than the rest fo the car!

Another friend had a 2001 silver coupe civic and the same thing!

Next time, especially at night you look at traffice crossign at an intersection look for light silver 2001 civic coupes and watch......

It drove me crazy!
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

mdxtasy

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:57:06 am »
A Civic/Corolla do command some very high resale numbers.  But it's a very good car and always a leader in the class.  The benchmark has set the bar high and competition have been targeting it for a long time.  A good thing to aim for as the quality of other competitors have been closing the gap.  Still, Honda has the name behind the solid reputation....that counts for something. 

Would I buy a used one?  Probably not.  Too high of a price.  I'd look at a Protege, where depreciation has won the fight. 

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 01:04:27 am »
Generally speaking, the most popular threads in many Civic forums are either about aftermarket modifications (Civics are very popular with the tuner crowd) and contain statements like "when I'm racing" or "I've driven this thing hard and am surprised it still runs."
Given the Civic's popularity with young, male drivers, I'd advise looking for a car that was owned by someone less likely to have driven the poop out of it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: He...  :rofl: he said what we were all thinking but were...  :rofl: were too afraid to say.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh how I despise today's youth.  :rofl: Thank you, that article made my night.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 01:32:17 am »
Funny thing, I'm the senior citizen on the HondaTech 2001-2005 Civic forum.  Most of that forum users are in their late teens or early 20s.   

You're paying for the Honda brand name.   I do think the Gen 7 is the best looking Civic model.   Honda service is not that expensive when compared to European brands.