Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Nissan Rogue  (Read 12127 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12406
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: CD Article: 2008 Nissan Rogue
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 12:39:19 pm »
I just can't find a single thing to get excited about.  Everything seems more or less "okay" from the styling (inside and out) to the powertrain to the CVT tranny, but neither the individual components nor their collective whole scream "buy me!".  Any number of its competitors are equally or more appealing.  Not what you want with an all-new model.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 01:28:06 pm »
I find the whole CVT thing a turn-off. My Dad has a Murano that I've driven on a few trips and I really don't care for the feel of it on the highway. For some reason it doesn't seem to coast well? You always seem to have to be on the gas. Having a CVT may prevent us from buying another Maxima when it's time.

Is Nissan the only company to use these transmissions so widely across their lineup?

The CVT does engine braking that's why it feels like you have to be on the gas all the time. It's the same if you are driving a manual. You can put it in neutral if you like.

Rolling

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 01:26:10 am »
I find the whole CVT thing a turn-off. My Dad has a Murano that I've driven on a few trips and I really don't care for the feel of it on the highway. For some reason it doesn't seem to coast well? You always seem to have to be on the gas. Having a CVT may prevent us from buying another Maxima when it's time.

Is Nissan the only company to use these transmissions so widely across their lineup?

There is a definite correlation between Nissan and the CVT transmission. Jatco a spin-off of Nissan is one of the largest automotive CVT transmission manufactures/supplier in the industry. They supply CVT to many other auto makers, but not to Honda or Toyota which manufacture their own, or are transmission supplier themselves…interesting!!

The fact that Nissan has developed a CVT that can handle the power output of the Maxima’s 3.5L V6 shows the many technological advances in the CVT since the Subaru Justy.

I just hope that Nissan isn’t putting all its eggs in one basket, and looks at developing their own Dual-Clutch Transmission “DCT” like Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler are doing, and what VW/Audi has already done. The manufacturing cost is higher for a DCT than a CVT, but with all the technological advances lately that cost should also come down.

I too am one of those who will be hard to convince that power/torque transfer can done as well by a belt and cones in a CVT, as meshing teeth of gears do in a DCT or conventional manual transmission.

Steve

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 08:54:43 am »
As a current X-Trail owner I angry we will not get the chance to choose between this Santa-fe wanna-be and the new X-Trail being offered in Europe. I guess I will have to look somewhere else for my next SUV.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 04:40:12 pm »
...  The X-Trail had to change or be replaced to keep in line with the others ie. CRV, Rav, Outlander etc.  X-Trail sales were always good and always led the truck segment for Nissan.  I love the new euro X-Trail, but the squarish looks are not in style here now.
:iagree: regarding the new X-Trail in other geos - too bad the squarish looks are out, but I do understand that Nissan wouldn't be able to sell both the Rogue and X-Trail together from the same lot here - they would have eaten into each other's sales. So, from the business perspective, I get it (even if I don't like it all that much).

I'll bop around to the Nissan dealer where I bought the Altima 5 years ago and have a look-see myself.

JWW

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 01:28:16 am »
I will miss the X-Trail with it's more traditional 4x4 SUV design, the new  for europe model was even more appealing, It was a unique vehicle that Nissan was offering in a field of too many "me too' over styled CUV's. It is a mistake for Nisssan to replace it with a "Me too" CUV like the rogue. I don't think this model will appeal to current X-Trail buyers at all.

:iagree:  I am seeing less and less in the Nissan lineup that will be suitable as a replacement for the Pathfinder when the time comes.  Much preferred the XTrail over the Rogue.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

avtoller

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 01:37:10 am »
 :iagree: too.  Were I in the small SUV market, the X-trail would be one of the top contenders. The Rogue, on the other hand, seems to emphasize style over capability/function. It would be of very little interest to me.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 10:28:40 am »
:iagree: too.  Were I in the small SUV market, the X-trail would be one of the top contenders. The Rogue, on the other hand, seems to emphasize style over capability/function. It would be of very little interest to me.
We test drove the X-Trail as well as a number of other cute-ute/soft-roaders a couple of years back. My choice would have been the X-Trail but my wife thought it looked too much like a truck and didn't like the seats in the back (she found them quite stiff and uncomfortable - even with the reclining feature). Too bad - because the 2.5 l 4 is a great engine, and it has bags of utility/capacity. The Rogue, will attract many folks to Nissan showrooms, which will counter any negative rumbles about the lack of the X-Trail going forward.  :(