Author Topic: CTS-V official stats: whoopass on four wheels  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: CTS-V official stats: whoopass on four wheels
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:46 am »
Mitlov, I am not sure if the 2009 CTS is better than the 2009 C63.  I am sure they are both fine cars.  Only time will tell which one is better.  The CTS-V does do some things better, ie. 550hp over 450hp, slightly bigger - which may or may not be better depending on who you talk to, although personaly I prefer the CTS size.  The CTS-V may very well be worth 10k over the C63 but given the state of GM / Ford /  Chrysler I am not sure the time is right to position themselves at that price point right now?  Then again like you said if the CTS-V is the better car then why not? 

Mitlov

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 11:52:40 am »
Mitlov, I am not sure if the 2009 CTS is better than the 2009 C63.  I am sure they are both fine cars.  Only time will tell which one is better.  The CTS-V does do some things better, ie. 550hp over 450hp, slightly bigger - which may or may not be better depending on who you talk to, although personaly I prefer the CTS size.  The CTS-V may very well be worth 10k over the C63 but given the state of GM / Ford /  Chrysler I am not sure the time is right to position themselves at that price point right now?  Then again like you said if the CTS-V is the better car then why not? 

I prefer compact sedans to midsize, but all other things equal, compact sedans are cheaper to build.  That's the only reason I mentioned size.

Tell me what the C63 does better than the CTS-V.  I'm not just talking power and straight-line speed, where the V crushes the AMG.  Let's talk handling.  The C63 is an out-of-control, understeer-to-oversteer beast.  The CTS-V, though, posted possibly the best Nurburgring lap time EVER for a sedan, which you can't do unless you've got great handling as well as speed.  Let's talk interiors.  The MB feels vault-like, but materials don't impress, and it's nothing fancy.  The Caddy's interior is utterly jaw-dropping, and reviews I've read say that the materials are as nice as the design.

...so do you have any reason, any reason at all, to think that the CTS-V is the same price to manufacture as the C63?  You say you don't trust American manufacturers, but that has nothing to do with whether or not they should sell an $80k car for $80k (or whatever this will cost).

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 05:09:53 pm »
Good argument Mitlov.  I agree with most if not all of what you have said.  The CTS may very well be the better car but I do not think that Cadillac has the same cachet and / or perceived quality that Mercedes has enjoyed for a long time now.  Up until a few years ago Cadillac was making luxo boats / barges.  Yes they have / are turning things around now (Cadillac).  I just think it will be a few years before the crowds start coming back again.  Cadillac is absolutely heading in the right direction.  Mercedes, I believe, is starting to show stress - quality is decreasing etc.  The next 5 to 10 years will be very interesting.  Fasten your seat belts!

Offline Canada

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »
Given a comparable product I would much rather spend on a Canadian / American made car / widget than German / Japanese etc.

Mitlov

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 10:05:16 pm »
Good argument Mitlov.  I agree with most if not all of what you have said.  The CTS may very well be the better car but I do not think that Cadillac has the same cachet and / or perceived quality that Mercedes has enjoyed for a long time now.  Up until a few years ago Cadillac was making luxo boats / barges.  Yes they have / are turning things around now (Cadillac).  I just think it will be a few years before the crowds start coming back again.  Cadillac is absolutely heading in the right direction.  Mercedes, I believe, is starting to show stress - quality is decreasing etc.  The next 5 to 10 years will be very interesting.  Fasten your seat belts!

Given a comparable product I would much rather spend on a Canadian / American made car / widget than German / Japanese etc.

Mercedes is starting to show stress?  I'd say they hit rock bottom maybe a decade ago.  If anything, they're starting to recover by now.  It's amazing to me the marketing value of that three-pointed star...a lot of people have no idea about MB's dive in quality.

You're right that Cadillac has an image problem on the sporty end of things.  However, there's only so much you can discount a car to make up for an image problem.  If you get by that image, the second-gen CTS is apparently amazing.

And for the record, I'm not an American car loyalist or anything.  I've owned six motor vehicles, five Japanese and one German.