Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed6  (Read 16651 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed6
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 08:00:15 pm »
5) The whoop, whistle, splutter and gasp sounds from the turbo mill get old fast.

The turbo of the Speed6 is the quietest turbo I have ever heard. If anything, it is too quiet.  I don't know how you can make such a statement...

My complaint was not so much with the volume of the noise as the quality of the noise.  And while it may well be the quietest turbo, but it's loud compared to a silky V6.  That's how I can make such a statement.

Jaeger

Come to think if it, it's not quiter than an Audi A4.  And I suspect it's not quiter than a BMW 335i (which I haven't driven).  It's probably more quite than a Subie, but that's not saying much.

The 335i sounds like a Toyota Camry  :sleep:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 12:16:46 am »
The 335i sounds like a Toyota Camry

I beg to differ. At least not any Toyota Camry I have seen or driven.  ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 12:39:38 pm »
 :think:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 02:13:16 pm »
5) The whoop, whistle, splutter and gasp sounds from the turbo mill get old fast.

The turbo of the Speed6 is the quietest turbo I have ever heard. If anything, it is too quiet.  I don't know how you can make such a statement...

My complaint was not so much with the volume of the noise as the quality of the noise.  And while it may well be the quietest turbo, but it's loud compared to a silky V6.  That's how I can make such a statement.

Jaeger

Come to think if it, it's not quiter than an Audi A4.  And I suspect it's not quiter than a BMW 335i (which I haven't driven).  It's probably more quite than a Subie, but that's not saying much.

The 335i sounds like a Toyota Camry  :sleep:

I thought you had test-driven a 335i yourself a while back? 

mdxtasy

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 04:44:12 pm »

I find many new cars don't have growl.  New cars from the factory seem to be focused on providing tons of sound deadening and insulation.  While the exhaust growl of the 335is nice, it's very subdued.  Turbo whistle is minor, and the car just idles in a lazy, quiet demeanor.  The comparo to a Camry is excessive, but the point I think is that the car does not show any indication that there is 300hp under the hood.  The car doesn't make an "appearance" with any noises (exhaust or engine).  Sure one can argue that it's quiet and liveable....that's great, but don't you want the 300hp to not only satisfy your seat of the pants senses, but also your aural senses too?  Why not have something that can tickle the ear hairs?  It just adds to the grins.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 07:30:52 pm »
I find this review very good and agree with most of it based on my own experience. I thought I would throw in my $0.02...

the important number, torque, hits its 280 lb-ft peak at a seat-pushing 3000 rpm.
If anyone would ask me to summarize the overall Mazdaspeed6 experience in a few words, "seat-pushing" does describe it so well. It is addictive, and makes you want to feel it more and more. Which is a problem because you get to supra speeds in no time, and this car can go that fast without breaking a sweat all day long. Just amazing... The slightest depression of the gas pedal above 2500 rpm will push you back in your seat.

I would have liked a bit more exhaust note,
Yup. Me too. A new GTI drove by me while I was walking to work just a few days ago and I right away thought “why can't the Speed6 sounds just like that?" Something I may address one of these days... SirA, I really hope you enjoy it!  ;)

The clutch is set up for enthusiast drivers: the pedal is stiff and the short-throw shifter is notchy. It takes a bit of practice to get into the car's rhythm, but once you do, those first smooth shifts are extremely satisfying; it's not hard to drive, but it's also not meant for neophytes.
The Speed6 clutch is great when you drive (very) soft or hard. The harder the better. But anything is between can be a serious challenge. That said, the other car that would have been on top of my list is the new G35 and it is getting horrible reviews as well on this topic. Guess it is something one has to live with unless ready to spend the extra dough for a BMW 335?...

Fuel economy is fairly good for the power
Indeed! It is actually as good as or better than the V6 while easily outperforming it. No complaints what so ever on the fuel economy aspect.

the Leather Package also adds a keyless entry and start system, featuring Mazda's signature "Intelligent Key". That's not quite the name I'd use for this goofy system,
Totally disagree with the author on this point. I have been carrying the plastic key in either dressed pants or jeans without any issues for a long time now. And the key will fit in the smallest purse without a hitch if a woman doesn't have front pockets. I just don't understand this perceived negative characteristic (I would dare to say women without a purse and wearing pants without pockets must be quite a rare occurrence. :-X)

Subtle, stylish and swift, this is an intelligently-priced way to get from A to B in a comfortable hurry.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »
Hey Ben, great to see you around you again.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 11:03:22 pm »

I was a little harsh there….compared to a WRX or STi the 355i sounds like a Braun coffee bean grinder  :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 11:05:49 pm »

I was a little harsh there….compared to a WRX or STi the 355i sounds like a Braun coffee bean grinder  :)

355i? 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 11:13:46 pm »

355i? 

I'm 6 drinks into a 66'er :censor:. :P

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 06:13:48 am »
Hey Ben, great to see you around you again.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car!

Thanks Julie! 

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 09:55:56 am »
Quote from article:

"many buyers of cars like these are going to drive the crap out of them".

Therein lies the problem with a lot of 'performance' vehicles, and they make a poor used vehicle purchase. Continuous red-line shifts are going to take their toll over the lifetime of a vehicle.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 11:41:57 am »
I would have liked a bit more exhaust note,
Yup. Me too. A new GTI drove by me while I was walking to work just a few days ago and I right away thought “why can't the Speed6 sounds just like that?" Something I may address one of these days... SirA, I really hope you enjoy it!  ;)

I do indeed! Especially with the windows down against a curb, in a tunnel, beside a median, etc. I don't floor 'er often but does sound good when you do. 
:skid:
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!