Author Topic: Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Powershift  (Read 7250 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Powershift
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:54:35 pm »
Finally a mainstream manufacturer is offering an alternative to VW’s DSG twin-clutch gearbox. No, it’s not Seat, or Skoda or Audi or any other member of the Volkswagen Group, but Ford. The Blue Oval’s new Powershift ’box is the first twin-clutch gearbox for the masses not from VW.

It’s very good, actually. Like all twin-clutch ‘boxes, there are two clutches  (obviously), one for the ‘odd’ gears, one for the ‘even’ ratios. The transmission pre-selects the next gear it expects you to use, whether you’re accelerating or braking, so shifts are quicker and smoother, with no loss of torque.

Not once was the Powershift system caught out in automatic mode at any junctions or roundabouts.

Get caught in traffic and there’s a creep function that’s beautifully judged so you don’t move along with your foot on the brake trying to slow the car. A twitch of your ankle and you can easily up the pace, with no sudden jerky throttle response. A hill-hold system is coming later, but with the creep function Ford pretty much has inclines already covered.

Fuel consumption drops from an combined average of 50.4mpg to 48.6, while CO2 emissions climb from 147 to 154g/km. Top speed and 0-62mph times are both down, if that actually matters to you, but with VW’s DSG system the benchmark sprint time is usually the same or quicker.

For comparison a DSG-equipped 2.0 TDI Golf does 47.1mpg and 159g/km CO2. So the Focus is bang on the money.

This is Ford’s facelifted Focus so there’s a neat nip and tuck with sharp new lights and side sculpting that lifts the whole look of the car.

And because it’s a Ford Focus, it’s still one of the benchmark small hatchbacks to drive. There’s weighty steering that inspires confidence, and a supple ride that soaks up the worst of Britain’s B-roads without ever feeling floaty or wallowy. It’s very well judged.

Ford has done it again. On paper, its Powershift transmission bests VW’s DSG system; on the road, it’s smooth, smart and fun to use. If you need a large diesel automatic in a mid-sized hatch then it’s between this and a Golf.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Ford-Focus-20-TDCI-Powershift-CAR-review/?content-block=0

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Powershift
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:11:41 pm »
Good for Ford.   I wonder how many years it will take before the people in Detroit will offer that transmission.   From the link it look as if it can manage more torque than the VW 6 speed DSG  so it should, in the NA context, be able to go in a car or CUV with a V6  like the new Escape maybe?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:14:29 pm »
That sounds like a very interesting powertrain.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »
Our Focus is still the ugliest car in its class by miles and miles...  and since I'd opt for the manual transmission anyway, :yawn:.  I'm sure it would be neat in the Euro Focus RS, though.

Which brings me to: unless Ford offers this transmission in North America, who cares?  Ford has always offered decent vehicles in the rest of the world, but their NA offerings suck.  Why?

Bring us this new gearbox and Ford NA might have something.  But I'm not counting my chickens just yet...

Alex29

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:58 am »
Bring us this new gearbox and Ford NA might have something.
Aha, and all those nice features will go by again... :'(

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:02:34 am »
Bring us this new gearbox and Ford NA might have something.
Aha, and all those nice features will go by again... :'(

Actually, don't be surprised if it turns up in vehicles like the Mazda3 (or especially MazdaSpeed editions) and Volvo C30.  Makes me wonder why Ford lets Mazda have all the good stuff, while still selling their junk here.  They're really just shooting themselves in the foot...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:05:04 am »
Mitsubishi is another mainstream manufacturer that has a dual-clutch tranny (currently available on the Evo). It seems like the Mitsu SST will find its way in the Euro 2009 Outlander. Edmunds just praised this tranny during their performance car test review (interesting read BTW).

Like Tpl said, it will probably take many years until we'll see this transmission here. 4-speed A/T is good-enough for the N/A Focus.

Mitlov

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:05:12 am »
Finally a mainstream manufacturer is offering an alternative to VW’s DSG twin-clutch gearbox. No, it’s not Seat, or Skoda or Audi or any other member of the Volkswagen Group, but Ford. The Blue Oval’s new Powershift ’box is the first twin-clutch gearbox for the masses not from VW.

As for mainstream manufacturers, Mitsubishi and Nissan already have twin-clutch gearboxes on the market.  As for mainstream cars by mainstream manufacturers, Mitsubishi has announced that the Outlander will get the twin-clutch gearbox for certain in Europe.  Possibly to follow in North America?

EDIT:  Looks like carcrazy already said it while I was typing.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:13:43 am »
Yes, Mitsu and Nissan both habe DSG-like transmissions.  But not in mainstream vehicles - I hardly consider the $50 000 Lancer Evolution and $80 000 Nissan GT-R to be mainstream.  And while Mitsu has said they will be offering their twin-clutch box in other cars, Ford has done it first.  ;)

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:18:37 am »
Which brings me to: unless Ford offers this transmission in North America, who cares?  Ford has always offered decent vehicles in the rest of the world, but their NA offerings suck.  Why?

Makes me wonder why Ford lets Mazda have all the good stuff, while still selling their junk here.  They're really just shooting themselves in the foot...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:40:46 am »
Yes, Mitsu and Nissan both habe DSG-like transmissions.  But not in mainstream vehicles - I hardly consider the $50 000 Lancer Evolution and $80 000 Nissan GT-R to be mainstream.  And while Mitsu has said they will be offering their twin-clutch box in other cars, Ford has done it first.  ;)

MKII said "mainstream manufacturers" hence my post.