Author Topic: ABS: Good, bad, or just ugly?  (Read 14923 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: ABS: Good, bad, or just ugly?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2005, 08:47:40 am »
...there is an intersection where I do it as well, CTC parking lot at 6:00am is where I try various things too. 

Kinky.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2005, 11:25:44 am »
SirA MEET X-Trail......!!!!!! :o............how do u guys pull it off....?....... 8) :o >:D :bow2: :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

smainville

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2005, 01:20:45 pm »
Well I'm definitely pro-abs and when combine with awd and good snow tires it's even better.  20 minutes ago I avoided a situation that without both technologies my X-Trail would probably be mush and the other guy a casualty.  I drove my son to his friend, on my way back I was driving 60-70kp/h and an oncoming car lost it, it did a 360 then slid sideways towards me.  It was a red Hyundai Accent coupe, should I have not been able to quickly slow down and change lane I would have broadsided it.  I felt the ABS kick in, I swerved and avoided a collision.  I don't want to imagine the same scenario with my Focus.  The X-Trail is equiped with 4 channels and 5 sensors.

5 sensors?  Where would the 5th sensor be placed?  Oh, and it sounds like a good piece of driving.

Not sure, something to do with the AWD maybe.  Does anyone know why the X-Trail has 5 sensors?  In my searches they often talk about the "G Sensor"  and that the system is predictive. (no Saf, nothing to do with the G spot :nono:)

sterling

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2005, 05:39:42 pm »
From Nissan.ca:

Available on X-Trail LE model, VDC* manages engine power and brake pressure for each individual wheel, helping to improve control on slippery surfaces. It also helps correct over- or understeer caused by the driver, so the vehicle can stay on its intended course.

The g-sensor probably refers to the yaw sensor that systems like Nissan's VDC uses. It is "predictive" because it compares the amount the steering wheel is turned with the actual course of the vehicle to "predict" whether it is under or over steering. It then applies braking power to individual wheels until the vehicle travels in the line intended by the steering wheel input.